Author Topic: Matter Manipulation and Corpses  (Read 1657 times)

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
Matter Manipulation and Corpses
« on: February 13, 2017, 05:04:52 PM »
This is a dumb question that I had floating in my mind, but what happens if you manifest Matter Manipulation on a corpse and then either resurrect it or animate it as undead?

Does the resulting creature have Hardness?  Does it have increased HP?  Or is the body just more durable next time they die?
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Matter Manipulation and Corpses
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 05:58:10 PM »
There are no dumb Metacreative questions, only ones with the Auditory Dispense with Display concentration check success.
 :twitch  :)

I vaguely recall a thread discussing what happens to a corpse during some relatively unknown time before perma-dead. idk what

I guess if the corpse got turned into an Object, you couldn't then raise it ; but if the Corpse was still a Corpse (that happens to be in the inbetween state what-ch-ma-call-it) it'd be a Go.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:30:34 PM »
The only point of contention might be that "hardness" is a characteristic of an object. Some might argue that (not an object) = (no hardness).

so raising from the dead, raising it as undead, or resurrection might negate any hardness - since it is now a creature, but animating an object should be golden for retaining hardness.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »
Psycrystals are examples of creatures with Hardness, at least.  I would note Animated Objects as well, but they are an oddity regardless.

Plus, I don't think Hardness is ever defined as something creatures don't have, rather just something they usually don't have.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 02:01:27 PM »
Yeah, my comment was based on that hardness is called out specifically as a quality of objects, but not as a quality of creatures.

as we all know, D&D is the game of exceptions to the exceptions of the rule, so obviously there are creatures which do have hardness - though they do tend to be "object-like" most of the time.

not to mention that armor and shields have hardness, but neither subtracts anything from the damage you take. hardness only comes into play with shields when you try to sunder them... and note that technically you can't sunder armor somehow....