Author Topic: Mithril Breastplate: still counts as medium armor some of the time? or not?  (Read 2777 times)

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
I brought this up in the "boards are down" comments, but just want to get the input of everyone, who may not have been following that.

One of my players, a barbarian, wants to get a Lesser Ironward augment crystal (MIC) to put on his armor. He's also wanting to get a mithril breastplate. A lesser ironward crystal only works on medium or heavy armors (it grants DR 3/- for up to 30 points absorbed per day). It specifically states it stacks with "similar DR" - ie, the Barb DR.

Just to examine the wording:
"A lesser iron ward diamond functions only when attached to medium or heavy armor."

Mithril:
"Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light..."

It is treated as light for movement and other limitations. The question then is, what are the other limitations? Proficiency? (ie - is a rogue proficient with a mithril breastplate?) Should the qualities of the ironward crystal count as a limitation?

A mithril breastplate counts as light armor for movement, but what other ways does it count as light armor, and does it ever count as medium armor for any purpose?

Can this augment crystal be used on a +1 mithril breastplate?

Offline archangel.arcanis

• View Profile
While it doesn't state it I think the default assumption should be similar to powerful build. It counts as whichever one is more beneficial to the character. I don't think there is a RAW on this but that is my thoughts.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm thinking of going that way with it.  It's by no means overpowered.

Offline Kajhera

• View Profile
"Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light."

My reading of this would indeed be that they are both medium and light. Limitations would include things like proficiency. It wouldn't include what enhancements you are able to put on it.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
The Powerful Build analogy is apt.  Mithral only applies when it would be beneficial.

Offline Optimator

• Lurker
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
While it doesn't state it I think the default assumption should be similar to powerful build. It counts as whichever one is more beneficial to the character. I don't think there is a RAW on this but that is my thoughts.
This was my thought as well.