Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236787 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #800 on: June 23, 2018, 03:51:57 AM »
Bioshock feels pretty railroady to me. I liked Mass Effect a lot more in terms of roleplaying/decision making.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 23, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »
Bioshock feels pretty railroady to me. I liked Mass Effect a lot more in terms of roleplaying/decision making.
Railroading was even a plot point in the first game.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 23, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »
which has more role play attached to it the Mass effect series or Bioshock infinite? or is there another western rpg on sale (under 8 dollars) on steam?

Bioshock has no role-playing if by that you mean making decisions that affect the story.  It has a great story, I love the series (and you really should play the series if you're going to play it) but it's a railroady game.

On Infinite, at least play Bioshock 1 before you play Infinite.  You'll miss out on understanding some stuff if you don't.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 23, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »
I'm mainly looking for a RPG with good character creation and 1st person view that's with in my budget of 8 dollars lol the reason why I listed bioshock was due to the setting

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 23, 2018, 01:24:22 PM »
I'm mainly looking for a RPG with good character creation and 1st person view that's with in my budget of 8 dollars lol the reason why I listed bioshock was due to the setting
Maybe System Shock 2 then?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 23, 2018, 08:35:11 PM »

Bioshock is one of my favorite games of all time. It is a fucking amazing setting.

No character creation at all though.

Shadowrun Returns is free on humble bundle right now.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 23, 2018, 08:47:13 PM »
Let's see, Steam sale RPG games with character creation that I own and enjoyed with an $8 budget:

- Divine Divinity is $0.59, good old school game.  Play a fighter or a mage.  The rogue is gimped and everyone has the same skill trees so just don't play a rogue for any reason unless you want to screw yourself over.
 - Deus Ex (the original) doesn't have character creation but it a fun RPG for less than a buck.
 - The first two Witcher games are also super cheap but they aren't for everyone (and again no character creation).
 - All the Fallout games except the newest one are under your budget.
 - Mad Max doesn't have character creation but I enjoyed the hell out of that game so I'm just throwing it in because man it was fun.
 - I enjoyed all the Shadowrun games by Harebrained Studios and they're all less than $8.
 - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was fun.  I have no idea how well it stuck to the pen-and-paper game (and it has some bugs, fan patches help) but it's $5.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 23, 2018, 10:55:43 PM »
The new Deus Ex games (Human Revolution and Mankind Divided) were pretty good too.  No character creation per se, but lots of character customization.  Everyone starts with the same (mostly blank slate) character, but where you put your stat ups has a huge impact on playstyle. 
If you like that, Prey (also the new one) has a similar mechanic, but is a bit outside your budget. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 24, 2018, 03:21:44 AM »
Well, I decided to try something new,so I went with scribblenauts unmasked..I keep confusing the move and attack buttons on my mouse lol

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #809 on: June 25, 2018, 11:37:14 AM »
Let's see, Steam sale RPG games with character creation that I own and enjoyed with an $8 budget:

- Divine Divinity is $0.59, good old school game.  Play a fighter or a mage.  The rogue is gimped and everyone has the same skill trees so just don't play a rogue for any reason unless you want to screw yourself over.
 - Deus Ex (the original) doesn't have character creation but it a fun RPG for less than a buck.
 - The first two Witcher games are also super cheap but they aren't for everyone (and again no character creation).
 - All the Fallout games except the newest one are under your budget.
 - Mad Max doesn't have character creation but I enjoyed the hell out of that game so I'm just throwing it in because man it was fun.
 - I enjoyed all the Shadowrun games by Harebrained Studios and they're all less than $8.
 - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was fun.  I have no idea how well it stuck to the pen-and-paper game (and it has some bugs, fan patches help) but it's $5.

Seconding Vampire: Bloodlines, it's an extremely good game for its price, lots of atmosphere, very faithful to the setting (played V:TM for over 10 years). Nice dialogue, progression, although YMMV on the ending. The journey is fun but i always thought that the ending was a bit underwhelming. Still, a very good game. Combat is good, and there are ways of sidestepping combat entirely which is always fun for a second playthrough. There's also a hidden super-hard mode if you choose to play as Nosferatu - Means you cannot be seen on the streets because you're so damn hideous that it's an instant violation of the masquerade. So you have to navigate through the sewer systems, which otherwise can be completely missed on a normal playthrough - that's fun. Music is also great. The soundtrack they chose for the game is amazing, and i thought the voice acting is pretty good all things considered.

Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2 are pretty good, and, together, they're both under your budget. They're great ORPG's in the vein of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Pool of Radiance.

If you haven't already played it, the O.G Neverwinter Nights is an amazing game but sadly the NWVault imploded and lots of the best mods are forever lost in time - but folks have rebuilt on the Nexus and there's still content being produced for the game, which is pretty impressive considering the original was released in 2003. It really is sad that the NWVault imploded, but still, fans have archived much of the content over on https://neverwintervault.org/ as well. The Enhanced Edition is out and condenses most of the content for the game, but not all of the DLC, there's still some content you have to buy. But the vanilla Enhanced Edition has most content and it fits your budget. Endless hours of adventure await, and i believe there are still very active servers and communities focused on RP and character building. NW is truly one of the best D&D based games to have ever come out.

Pillars of Eternity is also a pretty good game, and made in the vein of Planescape: Torment, which is one the best games ever. Both highly recommended, and both cheap and under your budget. If you haven't played them already: DO IT.

Of course, TORMENT: Tides of Numenara is pretty amazing, and also highly recommended.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: July 07, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »
http://nichegamer.com/2018/07/07/todd-howard-stop-buying-skyrim-if-you-want-the-re-releases-to-stop/

TODD HOWARD: STOP BUYING SKYRIM IF YOU WANT THE RE-RELEASES TO STOP  :lol

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 10, 2018, 02:51:41 PM »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 11, 2018, 06:26:09 AM »
http://nichegamer.com/2018/07/07/todd-howard-stop-buying-skyrim-if-you-want-the-re-releases-to-stop/

TODD HOWARD: STOP BUYING SKYRIM IF YOU WANT THE RE-RELEASES TO STOP  :lol
Sounds like pretty much Hyrule Warriors in a nutshell. It's a game that has like thirty twenty minute play sessions copypasted to ten thousand and it is on it's third rerelease with fans bragging about 100%ing each one.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #813 on: July 19, 2018, 05:51:37 AM »

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 19, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 19, 2018, 12:32:37 PM »
That looks a lot cooler than riding bicycles.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 19, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 19, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »
What happens if you make a female trainer and ride Tangela?
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:47:00 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 19, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »
Hey, that beats the heck out of riding a Decarabia in Megami Tensei Imagine.

For reference since I couldn't find a gif of video, imagine a giant starfish opening a big mouth at the center of its body, closing it around neck-height and flying about by spinning continuously.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 19, 2018, 07:06:32 PM »
What happens if you make a female trainer and ride Tangela?

Hentai