Author Topic: There's a new Christian-themed RPG on the market  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
There's a new Christian-themed RPG on the market
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:32:05 PM »
It's Spiritual Warfare the RPG, 4th Edition!

So I was browsing Drive-Thru RPG, making a list of future purchases, and I come across an ad portraying a valiant knight attacking a serpentine monster.  "Just because it's a Christian RPG... doesn't mean it sucks!  Spiritual Warfare, 4th Edition, available now!"

Out of interest, I clicked the link, and was stunned by its description:

Warning: To religious bashers.  This is a Christian Themed RPG.

NOTE: We have called this a Beta version of 4th edition.  As many people have waited patiently for the 4th edition of this game.  Beta, to us, means that there may still be bugs in the system and typos in the text.  PLEASE PURCHASE AT YOUR OWN RISK.  This will be our final product for those die hard fans of Spritual Warfare The RPG, we didn't want to leave you hanging.

A land filled with unfathomable mystery, fantastical words of power, religious and political clashes of epic proportions, and a spiritual conflict as old as time itself. A setting full of valiant men, stout dwarves, nimble elves, and kindly halflings. Welcome to the world of Spiritual Warfare the RPG.

Now you can join the fight against The Devil and his forces of darkness. Unsheathe your sword, mount your steed, put your trust in the Lord, and tear down the demonic forces that have ravaged the earth.

The day of evil is here; will you be able to stand?

Included in the Spiritual Warfare the RPG Handbook:

• Skill based character creation allowing for originality and diversity in the characters.
  • A simple yet realistic REVISED game system that is both fast and flowing.
  • Discipleship roleplaying that encourages Scripture memory and preaching the Gospel.
  • Four Character Orders and many Callings to choose from.

So you're effectively paying 14 bucks for an unfinished RPGs which still contains bugs.  Quite the bargain!

According to the sole 2-star reviewer, the product has a persistent anti-Catholic bias throughout, appears to be written by a fundamentalist, and has questionable use of scripture.

Also, warning quote from the original edition of the RPG:

WARNING: IF YOU ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN YOU MIGHT HATE THIS GAME.  This is a tool for discipleship of those who adhere to the Christian Faith.

You know, I get the feeling that the author(s) is really insecure.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
Re: There's a new Christian-themed RPG on the market
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:36:12 PM »
I am almost tempted. Almost. If I didn't have to worry about food this month, I'd go for it and post a review, because this is almost definitely review fodder.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »
I am almost tempted. Almost. If I didn't have to worry about food this month, I'd go for it and post a review, because this is almost definitely review fodder.

Totally.

Bonus points if the reviewer's well-versed in Christian theology.

It also has dwarves, elves, and halflings, so it's also aping LotR/D&D.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »

Totally.

Bonus points if the reviewer's well-versed in Christian theology.

It also has dwarves, elves, and halflings, so it's also aping LotR/D&D.
I've got a decent enough background in it that I could probably take a crack at it.

I went poking around for the publisher, Golgotha Games, and all I could find was a Facebook page that's 3 years old. The forum link posted there is a dead end; it leads to a page that tells you the forum was taken down for inactivity a little over a year ago, so that's compelling evidence. Of more note is an announcement on the Facebook page dating back to early 2010 that the first 25 people to sign up for the new forums would receive a free copy of Spiritual Warfare 4th edition. So as far as I can tell, this never even got out of beta testing due to lack of interest.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »
The dude might not know that LotR has a rather specific
Catholic background to it.  Google still gets > 2 million
hits with: "Lord of the Rings" + Catholic

example ---> http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2005/pkreeft_christlotr_nov05.asp

So if he wanted to "sanitize" the fundy vs. popey
stuff out of it ... d&d already did most of that.
Your codpiece is a mimic.