Author Topic: The Spoony One's Counter Monkey Series  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
The Spoony One's Counter Monkey Series
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:42:58 AM »
The Spoony One is a D&D player, movie reviewer, and all-around nerd who has a bunch of interesting stories to share about his own table-top experiences.

The Dungeon Master's Secret Weapon!  Use this to get your PCs anywhere you want them to go!

Leaping Wizards!

All Jedi or No Jedi.  In which Spoony discusses the pitfalls of a mixed party in a Star Wars game.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
Re: The Spoony One's Counter Monkey Series
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:10:34 PM »
Posting about the last link was the last thing I did before the old boards fell flat on their face.

In retrospect, I still think it's silly to expect players to emulate characters like Han Solo and simultaneously not expect them to shoot first and ask questions later.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »
What makes a good movie doesn't necessarily make a good gaming session, or a novel.

Reminds me of this one time when a DM ran the original Dragonlance Chronicles with a group of players who never read the books.  The DM knew this, but he got all pissy when their characters didn't act exactly as their fictional counterparts did in encounters.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:49:39 PM »
What makes a good movie doesn't necessarily make a good gaming session, or a novel.

Reminds me of this one time when a DM ran the original Dragonlance Chronicles with a group of players who never read the books.  The DM knew this, but he got all pissy when their characters didn't act exactly as their fictional counterparts did in encounters.
It's not an unreasonable reaction on the part of the players. If there's a good opportunity like that, there should be a compelling reason for the players not to take it, otherwise you lose a little bit of verisimilitude because the characters are acting according to the unwritten rules of the genre and not according to what would be both rational and in-character.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon