Author Topic: Ascension?  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Ascension?
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:25:49 AM »
Any fans of Ascension here? It's a deck building card game designed by several M:tG professionals and is a much cheaper way to get your fix in. Free, if you use iOS or Android.

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
Re: Ascension?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:19:03 PM »
Semi-free. You can buy the later expansions as unlocks. I actually started with the physical game itself, got like 8-9ish boxes on my gaming shelf (all but the most-recent, I think?).

We eventually made up a custom dice roller for serving out monster/faction cards and treasure because the single pile became too unwieldy. Eventually decided that the later expansions' new resource mechanics made a big all-expansions-at-once game too thin-stretched.

I have it on iOS, as do a couple of my local gamer buddies. ID RedWarlock
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »
True about base vs unlocks, although to my mind the unlocks sometimes add a few too many things. There's one particular combo of decks (the one that adds Dimension Diver + Reclamax) that lets you land an infinite combo pretty regularly. It gets flooded out in later versions by the addition of lots more cards, but a touch silly that it's there in the first place.

You probably just saw me add you, it's Stratovarius (what a shock  :o )

Offline RedWarlock

• View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 09:24:08 PM »
Didn't see it when I checked, but I did add you back (did you get the capitalization right? Not sure if it affects it..) and I started a game to see how it plays. 1 day timer for pass-play? (I wonder if it uses notifications for turns played.. I could easily slip on it otherwise.)
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:56:49 PM »
Didn't see it when I checked, but I did add you back (did you get the capitalization right? Not sure if it affects it..) and I started a game to see how it plays. 1 day timer for pass-play? (I wonder if it uses notifications for turns played.. I could easily slip on it otherwise.)

It blipped me somehow when you sent the invite, although it disappeared right away. I'm traveling tomorrow, so I might miss my next turn, but we'll see.

Offline RedWarlock

• View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 03:54:17 AM »
I don't know if it's just me, but I got a notif of it being my turn around 7pm Eastern, but when I tried to go on to play, it couldn't connect to server. Same thing now. Is the server is just down, or is my game bugged?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 04:30:25 AM »
I don't know if it's just me, but I got a notif of it being my turn around 7pm Eastern, but when I tried to go on to play, it couldn't connect to server. Same thing now. Is the server is just down, or is my game bugged?

Not sure, I was able to log in just now.

Offline RedWarlock

• View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 04:50:36 AM »
Gah. Okay, figured it out. Somehow it only connects when I'm on wifi, not from my phone's own internet. No idea why. (I was heading to this gym earlier this evening, turned it off when I left the house.)

Also, the game timer is a countdown for the total end-of-game, not turns? Explanation would've been nice. So, we've got like 5 hours to end of game? THAT'S not  gonna work. (Next time, remember to set it a 28 day game just for safety's sake...) They must do that to keep old in-progress games from littering the server memory. Annoying as hell, tho.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 05:15:26 AM »
I didn't realize that until the clock started counting either. Never done MP before. Slightly weird chess style system.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 12:56:30 PM »
I claim victory via luck and Mechana constructs! :P

Offline RedWarlock

• View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »
I claim victory via luck and Mechana constructs! :P
Yep, good one there. You hit end-game rounds where I was still playing mid-game.

Let's try another, shall we? 28 day timer, first 4 sets this time. :D

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 01:28:19 PM »
It's definitely luck - I normally play 120 vs the hard AI. Which is a very different game.

Offline RedWarlock

• View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 04:17:54 AM »
Bah. You start the next one, use whatever sets you feel like.

I'm either in bad luck or just out of practice. Been a couple years since I actively played.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 04:21:43 AM »
You were winning right up until the last turn. I got lucky when the Dandelion Witch gave me even more of a boost to the green cycle deck I'd built.

And I think a lot of people overlook that two Wandering Askaris can be banished for an extra turn, which is what gave me a real chance to come back.

I had some very weak early turns aside from deleting my terrible cards.

Offline RedWarlock

• View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 04:53:37 AM »
Not so sure about until the last turn. In raw points I had you until the last, but in other cards you had me beat, despite my grabbing every Mechana construct I could manage. (One of my locals has his preferred strategy of grabbing every Mechana he can, since they have such a good cost-to-value ratio, let alone their cooperative effects.)

It's also a big shift when I'm used to 3p or 4p games. Maybe next time we throw in some AIs for competition?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 05:16:03 AM »
You say that, but I actually had to make up about 20 raw points, and then picked up another ~10+ in card points on the last turn. That's the whole of the winning margin right there, plus a little extra, on both score counts. 

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
Can't seem to find a way to add AI into the multi-player...

Offline RedWarlock

• View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 10:21:43 PM »
Arrgh. Alright, well, start up a new one anyway. Make sure to cap the timer.

Offline RedWarlock

• View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 02:34:29 AM »
...Maybe a few too many games? I have trouble keeping track of progress or strategies. Any wins I've gotten are entirely blunt luck.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 08:33:10 AM »
Ah, I just check the deck every time out if I don't remember where we are. Shows me what I've got and what I was aiming towards. It's usually enough to keep me on the right track.