Author Topic: 1st time 5e pala needs a feat. Some advice welcome.  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
1st time 5e pala needs a feat. Some advice welcome.
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »
Hello everyone. As of last week I finally was able to start my first 5e session as a player.
So far its a a lot of fun as we are finding our way through the early levels.

The 1st feat/ Ability increase isnt far of though and I just cant think of what to pick ^^ So maybe I get some help for the decision making here.

The character: A small s&b paladin (homebrew race) Going for ancient oath and a more defender like stile. Since its a small character a heavy weapon is no good though, so we go with a warhammer and a shield for now.

14 STR
12 DEX
15 CON
9 INT
13 WIS
16 CHA

So far I am a bit torn between increasing the main stat with +2 STR for +1hit/dmg/SVs
a more potent increase with resilient for +1CON and CON saves
or those lovely utility feats:
Shield master - I love the idea, but I am worried that both my STR (I have prof in athletics) and my DEX are a bit low to really use it well. the SV boost aura will help of course.
Sentinel - Always good to get another attack in at times, though it would be better with a reach weapon and higher STR

Lucky: I know its good, but I dont like the way it slows down the game.

ARGH, so much to pick from! What to take first ? XD
Maybe you guys with a bit more experience in 5e can give me a better idea of what works well with what stats and alike.
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:11:41 AM by Dwarfi »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
Re: 1st time 5e pala needs a feat. Some advice welcome.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 03:56:59 PM »
+2 Strength. As a pally, your primary job is to hit things with bits of metal, so you want to be able to do it as hard and a regularly as possible.

There's other options, such as using the Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade cantrips for your melee attacks (from Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, SCAG), so Magical Initiate can be worth a look at with your high Charisma, but as a first time player it's often easier to just go the simple route. Hit stuff, smite stuff, learn to use a few other combat options and how to protect your team members, do a bit of healing sometimes.

The other feats you mentioned are good too, but Strength is your primary stat, so boosting it all the way to 20 eventually can't hurt. More hits, with an extra attack coming soon, is good.

Rounding out Con can happen a bit later, as can Sentinel (others might have a different view on this, but as a first timer, I'm keeping it simple).

Do you have any experience with other versions of DnD? Your post count suggests at least a little.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:01:20 PM by sambojin »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »
+1 on that +2 Str.  Debate the level 8 between +2 Str or Resilient Con.
See how level 11 goes for you first, before the level 12 decision.

Possible dips like Warlock 2 or 3 or more, or Sorc 1.

Here's the best Pally guide http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?474035-GUIDE-My-Word-Is-My-Sword-The-Paladin-Guide

Point Buy usually gets better results with pre-planning,
but you're a max of a +1 off of a c.o. "perfect" build.

Enworld has a Pal 6 / Sorc 14 guide (and variants), if you prefer.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 05:30:02 PM »
Thank you both, I have played 3.5 for years and still do. But its a fresh start with a 2nd group to finally play a FUN paladin. ^^
So far I really enjoy the simpleness of 5e compared to 3.5's flood of numbers.

It wasnt a point buy, but rolled stats. My first round was so bad that we considered it unworthy of a hero and rerolled it to this.
The homebrew race gave +2Con and +1 Cha, so this is close to the best result I could think of. I could have reached 15 STR at best, but would have reduced Cha to an odd number for no benefit. Damn I wish I had rolled just one point better. ^^ And as we play with the variant rule for carrying weight, I am free of the 15 STR for full plate and just need generally good STR. We use 1/2 weight for small armor, but I will look for an early mount anyway. - Even with 16 STR: 80 pounds for medium load isnt much, but would reduce me by 10ft, even though my dm is generous on that front.

We have a half orc barbarian with me in the front line, a rogue behind that and a sorcerer with a moon druid in the back. So I might be ok with 16 STR on Lv4 and utility after that.
Actually we do have the sword coast guide, but I wasnt able to look into it beyond the paladin stuff. I know 1-3 Lv dips into sorc or Warlock are good and would fit flavorwise, but that would be something for later. Until Lv8 I go straight pala.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:22:19 AM by Dwarfi »

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 07:34:59 AM »
I'll echo the +2 Str.  You need consistency at the early levels more than you need a gimmick.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 02:55:16 AM »
It actually fits together really well. As the Lv2-3 grp starts to fight together in a team.
My little paladin began with fighting stile defense, but now fights close to a half orc barbarian and is so impressed that he starts to train with her every evening.
When reaching Lv4 he gets +2 STR and changes the fighting stile to dueling.

In the time beeing I described how he tries to hit, but shows signs of an untrained fighter, which fits the character.
----------

Edit: Some reading on Warlock and Sorcerer for fun:
Sorcerer Usually +1 HP or 1 advatange roll there are some other in UA. Would be best with Warcaster (argh! another feat) and  quicken spell on LV3. Otherwise a nice boost for 4 cantrips and 2 Lv1 spells even on Lv1. The sorcery points are nice too for 1 more spell slot and alike but would require Lv2.

Warlock(Fey): Recharging spell slots on a short rest are great, charming people and faery fire/sleep. 2 Levels for 2 invocations, 2 spells and cantrips, there is a lot to pick from: Devils sight, Runekeeper (doesnt fit the character so much), Mask of many faces ... or the UA additions: Imune to sleep or swimspeed are all nice. Again I dont have Swordcoast guide at hand, so no idea whats in there. ^^
Lv3 gives the boon (chain likely with a sprite) for roleplaying and some minor benefits.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 05:34:54 AM by Dwarfi »