Author Topic: Recruiting playtesters for a tactical skirmishing card game.  (Read 9671 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
I'm not the owner, I was just hired to develop it and need more data.

Invite link is good for 25 uses, PM me if it expires and you still want in.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:42:25 AM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting playtesters for a tactical skirmishing card game.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 07:54:05 PM »
I'm guessing this is the one you mentioned in discord a couple of weeks back? Can you go into a little more detail about how the game works? What sort of basic mechanism does it use? What other games that we might be familiar with could help us grok it?

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 10:06:18 PM »
2-player card dueling game, focused around a hero commanding other units. Notable mechanics:

Location cards that provide passive effects, additional effects when controlled, and a oneshot effect when played/taken.
Skirmish cards that allow units to attack multiple times per turn, targeting specific units or locations (mostly as a form of creature based removal, similar to the Fight mechanic in MTG)
Tactics cards that allow units to be leveraged outside of combat
Spell cards that use the Hero as a resource

Comeback mechanic reminiscent of a 2d fighter's life bars. Each time a Hero's life is emptied, it refills and their resource cap goes up, giving the player on the back foot a chance to recover.
Shared turn system: Players share phases of the turn, going back and forth taking a single action before moving on, culminating in an all-out melee at the end of the turn before resources recover.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »
The initiative system sounds sort of like Legends of Runeterra's and Artifact's. It always struck me as an interesting take on the mechanic, leading to interesting gameplay decisions. Do you act now and risk a response, or pass to act after your opponent has spent more of their resources and is less able to respond but risk letting them just end the round?

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 12:00:36 AM »
The initiative system sounds sort of like Legends of Runeterra's and Artifact's. It always struck me as an interesting take on the mechanic, leading to interesting gameplay decisions. Do you act now and risk a response, or pass to act after your opponent has spent more of their resources and is less able to respond but risk letting them just end the round?

It was lifted from Warlord, but the important distinction is that if both players pass it goes immediately to a mandatory combat step, so passing for control reasons can get you punched in the face.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 12:43:12 AM »
This game is having an free tournament, with learn to play sessions throughout the week:

https://forms.gle/KKMZjFxbbn5jAzvv5

Tournament is over, there's a new version being released soon.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 01:55:52 AM by Nytemare3701 »