Author Topic: Olympians of Conquest (O.o.C.)  (Read 54315 times)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
Re: Olympians of Conquest (O.o.C.)
« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »
Metal Bowstrings?

I'm sure there are modern re-curve bows that are metal - or, there's no reason there couldn't be - but I doubt I'd be able to find any sources supporting their existence in ancient Greece.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:18:34 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »
- but I doubt I'd be able to find any sources supporting their existence in ancient Greece.

I'd settle for D&D examples.

As a archery hobbyist, yes, some modern bows have metallic cord in the string, but these are with very modern alloys, and are pretty synthetic bows overall. What we can do with modern tech is not applicable here.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
For some reason you can make bows out of crystal. It's mystifying.

Pity that Os didn't really add any archery support in Pure Crafting. You'd think specially purified Mythril might have the requisite flexibility, seeing as it's ACP is 0.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2013, 07:56:20 PM »
Would a statement from Oslecamo saying something like "pure metal can make metal bows because it's awesome, so there." suffice as a D&D example?

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2013, 11:25:03 PM »
Would a statement from Oslecamo saying something like "pure metal can make metal bows because it's awesome, so there." suffice as a D&D example?

:lmao

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »

... As the person who is effectively the writer / developer in this instance, yes, it actually would.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2013, 11:25:06 PM »

... As the person who is effectively the writer / developer in this instance, yes, it actually would.

FWIW:
Can you make a bow out of pure metal?
Hmm, sure, why not? Fire Emblem has Iron/Steel/Silver bows after all.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
So yes, I can make you junk.

I can also make me junk as preparation for going off on these journeys rather than carrying around a billion shackles. Still need to pick vials... or maybe just work out the price of two of everything.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2013, 11:54:28 PM »
Assuming arias says okay...

A mithral bow isn't all that expensive. 1500 (500 to craft) for the mithral (500/ lb and longbows weigh 3 lbs), 75 (or 25) for the bow and 600 (or 200) for the pure metal. Mithral includes the masterwork price so you don't need to worry about that. Relicwork would be another 10,500 (or 3,500) but the relicwork power doesn't make you any better at AoOs, so the masterwork version for 2,175 (or 725 if Athanasia can craft them and give them to us at cost) total should be fine.

Working off the math above, a Masterwork Pure Mithral Greatbow would cost:
3000 (500/lb x 6lbs)
150 (normal cost of a Greatbow)
600 (pure metal cost)
=3750gp
=1250gp for Athanasia to craft

Correct?

EDIT:
Which juuuuuuuuust squeezes into the 1300 drachs I have left!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2013, 08:03:40 AM »
Have you even factored in the MW cost? Also, I don't think you cut down the extra cost for making it into pure metal. :huh

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »

FWIW:
Can you make a bow out of pure metal?
Hmm, sure, why not? Fire Emblem has Iron/Steel/Silver bows after all.
That settles that (finally).

Can Athanasia craft pure metal weapons (specifically, a bow of some sort) for the party for cheap, or would we need to pay full price?
I don't like limiting peoples pre-game crafting, since that just motivates them to stop everything and do their crafting as soon as the game starts anyway. However, when it comes to crafting for other party members, I tend to be recalcitrant about it unless the characters knew one another previously.

So, getting it at crafter's price would depend on that.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »
Have you even factored in the MW cost? Also, I don't think you cut down the extra cost for making it into pure metal. :huh
I was just working off of CNC's numbers. I'll have to go back and check the Pure Crafting thread, unless you (RD) know the formula offhand?

Can Athanasia craft pure metal weapons (specifically, a bow of some sort) for the party for cheap, or would we need to pay full price?
I don't like limiting peoples pre-game crafting, since that just motivates them to stop everything and do their crafting as soon as the game starts anyway. However, when it comes to crafting for other party members, I tend to be recalcitrant about it unless the characters knew one another previously.

So, getting it at crafter's price would depend on that.
Good point. I knew there was a reason I hadn't done my backstory yet.  :P

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »
I was just working off of CNC's numbers. I'll have to go back and check the Pure Crafting thread, unless you (RD) know the formula offhand?

I have no clue.

I have no idea if I've even got the value of my stuff right. I might have overcharged myself.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 20, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »

I have no clue.

I have no idea if I've even got the value of my stuff right. I might have overcharged myself.
:lmao

EDIT: Okay, let's figure this out. I'll highlight anything that mentions a cost.

Pure Crafting
You were passed down the ancient tradition of proper ore refining and equipment crafting.
Prerequisite:4 ranks in Craft(Weaponsmithing) or Craft (Armorsmithing).
Benefit: You can now craft Pure Metal items (any metal weapons if you have the ranks in Weaponsmithing, any metal armor if you have the ranks in Armorsmithing, all metal options if you have ranks in the two skills). This works as normal crafting, but takes 8 hours of  time regardless of the item to be crafted(as long as it is whitin your light carrying capacity, regular crafting time otherwise) and raw material costs are increased by 200 GP, as you need to properly purify them (those materials must still be acquired directly from the material plane, materials created/altered by magic or from the other planes are plain useless for Pure Crafting). You can also tell a Pure Metal item from a regular one with a simple glance. Pure Metal items are immune to all forms of divination(such protection doesn't extend to the wearer however) and are also immune to any effect that automatically destroys nonmagic items (such effects simply fail to affect them, even if they can affect magic items, as all they're actually doing is trying to destroy their magic essence). They can still be damaged by spells that deal damage capable of affecting objects (Shatter treats Pure Metal items as crystalline creatures).

If the crafter has at least 8 ranks in Craft(Weapons and Armor), they may make the item masterwork with 24 hours of work. If the crafter has at least 12 ranks in Craft(Weapons and Armor), they can make it Relicwork for an extra 3,500 GP worth of materials and 72 hour of work. If the crafter has at least 16 ranks, they can make it Artifactwork for an extra 35,000 GP worth of materials and 216 hours of work. If the crafter has at least 20 rank in Craft(Weapons and Armor), they can make it Phantasmwork for an extra 350,000 GP worth of materials and 648 hours of work. The hours needed to make those upgrades don't need to be all consecutive. Those upgrades may be done to already existing Pure Metal items, and each of them further doubles the item's HP. Pure Metal items for creatures bigger than medium or smaller than small cost double for each size category difference. Double weapons cost double as usual.

Pure Metal items cannot be further enanched or changed by any kind of magic or special crafting methods. They have double the hardness and HP of their normal counterparts and their break DCs are 5 bigger than normal. Anyone equipped with a pure metal item cannot cast spells/powers/SLAs  or similar, neither activate spell-trigger items such as scrolls and wands or similar as dorjes.

Pure Metal weapons automatically deal damage as if they were one size category bigger and don't automatically miss on a Natural 1, and add your BAB to damage. Armor/shield spikes and similar can't be made into pure metal weapons, as the fact they make part of another object prevents the crafter or wielder from using them to their true potential.

Pure Metal Armors/Shields automatically grant you hardness equal to ½ its AC bonus and half their armor/shield bonus count towards your touch AC, add half your BAB to their respective AC bonus, stacking one suit of armor and one shield.

Depending on the type of metal of the item, it will gain extra bonuses as detailed below, plus an extra bonus depending on their quality grade, in addition to any bonus granted by the normal version of the material. But material-specific benefits are only granted if the wearer has actual proficiency on the weapon/armor/shield plus BAB at least equal to the number of ranks needed to create that grade of item (basic-4, masterwork-8, Relicwork-12, Artifactwork-16, Phantasmwork-20).

Only BAB gained from your first 20 HD counts towards all of Pure Metal bonus, not from any more HD or special effects. Pure Metal Shields don't grant their bonus if the respective arm is used for attacking or  other task other than defending unless otherwise noticed.

(click to show/hide)

PureAlloy
...doesn't affect cost...

Greater Alloy

Noble Alloy
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:04:52 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2013, 06:01:06 PM »
Here's what I'm seeing:
   Base cost of the normal item + x (where x = cost of "regular" special material) + 200gp for Pure Metal + y (where y = additional cost depending on the tier (Normal/MW/Relicwork/etc.)

So for a MW Pure Mithral Greatbow:
  150 (base cost)
  + Normal mithral = 500gp/lb x 6lbs = 3k (
  + 200gp (Pure Mithral)
  + 0gp for MW, since regular Mithral already makes it masterwork

=3350gp

CNC, why would it be 600gp for Pure Mithral instead of 200? Or is it 600 to purchase because it's 200 to craft? That makes more sense. If that's the case, then the formula is actually:

Purchase Price
   =Base cost of the normal item + x (where x = cost of "regular" special material) + 600gp for Pure Metal + y (where y = additional cost depending on the tier (Normal/MW/Relicwork/etc.)
Craft Price
   =Purchase Price / 3

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
-Shrugs-

I'm not too bothered by overcharging myself, I don't exactly have a shortage...

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2013, 08:40:07 PM »
It's 600 to purchase because it's 200 to craft. Osle listed crafting costs, not purchase costs, in the pure metal thread.

So your formula at the bottom of the post is correct (as best I can tell anyway.)