Author Topic: Apostle of Peace o.O ???  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Graath

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Apostle of Peace o.O ???
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »
So, I was looking about prestige classes in BoED and it was the first time I carefully read the Apostle of Peace PrC. What I understand is that, it's easily one of the most poorly written PrC in the game imho. A lot of things simply doesn't make sense. Apart from that, the more I read about Apostle, the more questions I had. Although I love this class (yeah, I love pain...) I have some questions about RAW and how should I rule this class

1) check Vow of Poverty feat, a requirement for Apostle entry, and Proficiencies:

Vow of Poverty : ...You may not use any magic item of any sort, though you can benefit from magic items used on your behalf...

Apostle of Peace : As part of their sacred vows, apostles of peace forswear the use of armor, though they may wear magic items that protect them (such as a ring of protection or bracers of armor).

It seems to me that the Proficiency rule of Apostle overcomes the Vow of Poverty restriction, although I'm not sure about that.
Also, what do does it mean ''...magic item that protect them...''?? For example, Gloves of Dexterity grants bonus to Dexterity and therefore, bonus to AC. from what I get, the Apostle can benefit from that item.

2) see the restrictions of Vow of Peace

Vow of Peace: ...To fulfill your vow, you must not cause harm to any living creature (constructs and undead are not included in this prohibition)

now check the 4th lvl of Apostle of Peace

Censure Fiends (Su): A 4rd-level apostle of peace can censure fiends, much as good clerics turn undead ... ...Roll 2d6 + the apostle of peace's level + his Charisma modifier for censuring damage

What the hell?? Did I miss any rule here?? I don't really think an Apostle of Peace can use that. Ever. Please correct me if I'm making a mistake here.

3) At 10th level, an Apostle have access to Gate spell. Now let's say I'm playing one. Would I violate my vows by summoning a planetar in the middle of a battle encounter to fight for me?? Same question for every summoning spell in the game.

Any help I could get is really thankful!! :) :) :cool

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Apostle of Peace o.O ???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
What I understand is that, it's easily one of the most poorly written PrC in the game imho.
Heh, not even close.

1) check Vow of Poverty feat, a requirement for Apostle entry, and Proficiencies:
Yeah it seems like they can wear magical items to defend them selves. It's probably because staying alive benefits everyone else. But I'd rule direct bonuses, like how Pierce Magical Protection doesn't affect Polymorph or Maximize Spell doesn't make summoned monsters roll 20s when attacking.

2) see the restrictions of Vow of Peace
Censure Fiends doesn't actually deal damage, it stuns/banishes them.

It works like Turn Undead which actually has two checks. The "turning check" determines the how powerful it is (ie get a 14, anything with 15hd ignore it) and the other is the "turning damage" which determines how many creatures you can affect (ie get 28, two 14hders can be affected or twenty eight 1hders and so on).

3) At 10th level, an Apostle have access to Gate spell.
As the class states, see waging peace in chapter 2 for more details. And as the book states, see it's for mature players because it deals with tough questions of ethics and morality section in the introduction. Like if I told someone no and then they decided to be a lawful evil devil lawyer who ordered the slaughter of innocent orphans because technically they didn't stab them then that's just a perfect example of someone not being mature enough to handle the book.

But also, you should check VoN's wording. You can sort of murder the crap out of oathbreakers as well as receive punishment for your allies breaking oaths too.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:49:22 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
Re: Apostle of Peace o.O ???
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 04:01:57 PM »
It's also worth noting that the Gate spell can just function as a super-accurate plane shift spell for as many creatures as can get through it, so calling something into combat is far from the only reason to cast it.

In addition, a lot of extraplanar creatures have abilities that can be used well out of combat.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."