Author Topic: Adventures for very young PCs  (Read 1894 times)

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
Adventures for very young PCs
« on: June 07, 2015, 10:56:56 AM »
I'm looking for ideas for adventures, or maybe even a campaign, that centers around the PCs being very young, like not older than barely teens.
The PCs will start at 1st level, but they'll be quite powerful, so as you can guess they're not going to be just normal children. I want to avoid the game being just like any other adventure but with child PCs, I'd like for their young age to matter in some way to the adventure's/campaign's plot, or at least for the beginning part, preferably without too significantly limiting player concepts (so for example an orphanage would be a bad idea, as would be a Wizard Academy for gifted youngsters).
Assume that the PCs won't have much in common, other than their young age and being much more capable than an average child. They'll most likely be from pretty different areas of the world, backgrounds and social stations, although I asked the players to make their characters be in some way special (and I don't mean just the mechanics).
As for what kind of children they are, that's not yet clear, but I expect concepts similar to:
- granddaughter of a retired war troll mercenary lord;
- bastard son of a half-goddess and a fey prince (who's also a fey god, kinda);

Alternatively, help me come up with reasons why/how the group could come together. Dunno, maybe some event that would be interesting enough to children that they would get their parents/family/guardians/someone to bring them?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:23:53 PM by ImperatorK »
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures for very young PCs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 11:25:05 PM »
I have no idea if this will help, but when I think of stories with young characters that people have liked, school-based/oriented ones come to mind.  That might be b/c it's such a fundamental part of being young, and the teacher/student relationship emphasizes their role.  So, using the X-Men or Hogwarts as a model might work. 

Less formal than that could be a mentorship type of situation, like Aristotle to the PC's Alexander.  One interesting move you could do with that, maybe, is to emphasize that the mentor has wisdom, but they have power.