Author Topic: Heron-Marked: The Art of Bladecraft  (Read 22998 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Heron-Marked: The Art of Bladecraft
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »
What about this implementation:

"You can also make a Bladecraft check when using a technique to retain a previously granted tag. If the technique would have granted a tag of the same type as the tag you are retaining, the retained tag replaces the tag you would have been granted. If the technique does not grant a tag of the same type, you retain the tag in addition to the new tags granted by the technique. The base DC for retaining a tag is 15, +3 for each tag the technique normally grants, -2 if the technique would have granted a tag of the same type. Note that, as this use of the Bladecraft skill is always in combat, you may not take 10 when attempting to retain a granted tag."

So with Basic techs, you have DC 16 or 18 for 1 or 2 tags; Moderate techs have DC 19 or 21 for 2 or 3 tags; Advanced have DC 22 or 24 for 3 or 4 tags; and Expert are always DC 25. That seems quite straightforward - depending on your build & Form, it's probably not automatic, but you should make it more often than not.

I like this for a few reasons. First, I had been worried that it was easy to move down a level of complexity in technique, but very difficult to move up; this makes it straightforward, though you still have to be smart about it. Second, you'll never get more than 4 tags this way, so you don't have to worry about anything breaking. Third, it makes using Advanced & Expert techniques much, much easier on the player.

In looking this over, I noticed that I need to edit the skill tricks for the tag revisions. If I use the above implementation, Exotic Grip would be replaced by a skill trick which lets you take 10 when retaining a tag.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2016, 12:48:19 PM »
Now that the holiday is past and I'm back into my usual routine, it was clearly time for a major update.

Changelog:
  • Expert styles (including the new Sun style) have been posted
  • Incorporated the ability to retain a tag into the Bladecraft skill
  • Replaced Exotic Grip with Exotic Articulation
  • Moved the skill & skill tricks sections into the first post because of character count limits
  • Added the following new feats (adapting from JoshuaZ on gitp): Arcane Assault, Cavalier's Bladeform, Favor of Fortune, Honed Power, Proactive Training, and Seize the Moment.
  • Created an Extras post in the last reserve, adding in items, artifacts, spells, and powers, almost all of which were adapted from JoshuaZ on gitp.
  • Minor text fixes
  • EDIT: rewrote the example combat
Current Priority List:
  • Find a place to post the table of techniques
  • Blademaster PrC overhaul. Will be trimmed to 5 levels.
  • Sub levels for: Barbarian, Dread Necromancer, Duskblade, Factotum, Hexblade, Knight, Marshal, Monk, Ninja, Paladin, Psychic Warrior, Ranger, Rogue, Samurai, Scout, Soulknife, and Swashbuckler. (Hopefully all of them will fit in one post... which is already full of feats.........)
  • Reaver (+ Thorn style) and Warden (+ Husk style) 5-level PrCs. {note: style names may change}
  • Other material TBD; haven't decided if I'm actually going to write the Bladecraft-incarnum PrC, but if I do it'll probably be 10 levels.
Note that Dread Necromancer has been added to the list of classes that are getting sub levels.

I may not have enough posts reserved for all of this. If not, I'll make a new thread w/ more posts reserved.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 01:04:04 PM by sirpercival »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2016, 08:08:14 PM »
I may not have enough posts reserved for all of this. If not, I'll make a new thread w/ more posts reserved.
Sub-forum?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2016, 08:47:12 PM »
Sub-forum?
I could, but I still have to keep it all in one thread over on GitP, so I might as well keep it consistent.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2016, 09:11:45 PM »
Sub-forum?
I could, but I still have to keep it all in one thread over on GitP, so I might as well keep it consistent.
:bs

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2016, 11:19:44 AM »
Cavalier's Bladeform - should the [High] bonus only apply while mounted?

Sun Style
 - The Creeper Climbs the Cliff - Skill checks can't crit-fail or succeed, does that apply to this form?  (I'm looking for clarification if the form is "use Bladecraft instead of attack bonus" or "make skill check instead of attack roll".)
 - Meltwater Flooding the Banks - does this need a range?
 - Whirlwind on the Mountain should restrict the attack to an opponent who is threatening you (that's obviously the intent but it doesn't actually say that in the first line).

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2016, 11:59:25 AM »
Cavalier's Bladeform - should the [High] bonus only apply while mounted?
Updating to clarify (and add another effect).

Sun Style
 - The Creeper Climbs the Cliff - Skill checks can't crit-fail or succeed, does that apply to this form?  (I'm looking for clarification if the form is "use Bladecraft instead of attack bonus" or "make skill check instead of attack roll".)
Clarifying that it's a skill check.
- Meltwater Flooding the Banks - does this need a range?
Editing to indicate that the opponent has to have line of sight to you.
- Whirlwind on the Mountain should restrict the attack to an opponent who is threatening you (that's obviously the intent but it doesn't actually say that in the first line).
Yeah, someone else pointed that out too. I'll make it so.

These will all be included in the next update.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2016, 02:15:33 PM »
Hey folks, this is a couple versions behind the GitP post, because I'm waiting on Prime to give me a subforum. At that point I'll bring everything here up to speed. :)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »
Hey folks, this is a couple versions behind the GitP post, because I'm waiting on Prime to give me a subforum. At that point I'll bring everything here up to speed. :)

Okay, sounds good.