Author Topic: Opening Scene, Village of Shamhahn  (Read 16281 times)

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
Opening Scene, Village of Shamhahn
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:41:32 PM »
And so you arrived in the town of Shamhahn, a small town in the human country of Ahnwae. Its buildings made of clumsily stacked stone, like a poorly-cobbled street, packed tightly with earth and mortar, crudely made stone roundhouses. A burg situated at the edge of where verdant plains meet rocky hills, this town was just a tiny farming village until ten years ago, when mithril deposits were discovered in some cave systems in the nearby hills. The town has since grown from just less than 400 residents, to more than 2,000. But Shamhahn has recently begun to have severe difficulties, and has put out a call for adventurers.

For reasons all your own, you each have come to answer this call.

As you head into the town, the first building is a large inn with a sign declaring it "The Badger Inn". A notice at the front of the inn, on an over-sized board reads:
Request for Aid
Miners were being attacked and killed by immense ants.
Now our farmland is is being threatened by different infestation, with strange, gigantic beetle-like creatures attacking those who venture into the glebe
land with smaller vermin under their control.
Follow the Main Avenue up to the Township Court, inquire a
t Consul's Hall

And so, you each head up the street, looking around, there are several people walking up this street-way in the same direction as you. Most look like they are locals, dirt-stained humans wearing cheap clothing in the local custom of glorified tunics in greens and earth colors. There are a few others though, who are of a more exotic nature, quite likely other adventurers. Oddly, the locals mannerisms seem to range from downtrodden to the point of apathy, to angrily upset.

Upon reaching the towns main square, it is quite easy to tell which of the stone structures is the Consul's Hall. It is a stone building like the others, but instead of a simple roundhouse, the hall is built more as a castle, or rather a cathedral, easily 50ft to a side, and with two full stories. What's more, the Hall has a large balcony reaching out from the second story of the building. The people that were heading this way seem to be moving toward a large gathering in front of the Consul's Hall, already more than 100 people pack the square tightly.

A man steps out onto the balcony, dressed in clothing that is in much better repair, and is designed with threading to catch the sunlight so as to seem to shimmer. The Consul seems to be a somewhat young human, not even to his thirties yet, with short light-brown hair. Given that most of the local men wear their hair long and tied back, and none of their hair, or eyes are as light as the consul's, it would be easy to deduce that he likely is not a local himself.

"When are we going to be over this rationing!" One voice in the crowd yells out at the consuls appearance, the voice a deep booming mans, though none of you can see the source.
Before the consul can respond, though "How long must we wait for the Ahnwae'nan Charter'd's help!" An older woman's voice.

"Please. People." The consul begins to respond, "I have been keeping the governance apprised of the situation, and..."
Interrupted.
"We're tired of being told to be patient! There were people here LAST FREAKING WEEK, people who could have dealt with this. Then they found out that our Warden of the Peace was one of the first to die in the fields, and they lost all interest in helping when they found out you 'weren't allowed to PAY them yet'!!!"
"Yes, I wasn't at the time, because the governance hadn't yet gotten back to me since we lost the ability to go into the fields. But a messenger this morning came through, and delivered a letter that granted dispensation to acquit from 25 pounds of platinum of the taxes for the purposes of seeing this resolved."
"The heck's that even mean?!"
"His'tryin ta say that they've let their little doggy that get ta' tell us what's t'do finally have the power t'do what needs done with tha money!"
The consul, seeming more ashamed and bashful than aggravated by the woman tries to retort "Yes! So you see! It isn't that they aren't paying attention or anything, it's just that they were willing to wait and see about the mine, but when people might starve, they didn't hesitate!"
"HA! And what good is that to us now? Those that were here to help moved on! We need to flood the fields to harvest the rice, and get to planting the winter-wheat NOW!"
The consul balks, as if he'd stutter through anything he'd have to say at this point, but he doesn't have anything to say.

You can tell that the rest of the gathering is in agreement with the man and woman who've done the speaking, and the consuls lack of response is adding fuel to the fire of their anger.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Scene, Village of Shamhahn
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:28:22 PM »
This is fate.  These bugs, these monsters will burn at my whim to save these people, as my people burned at the whim of a monster.

Graalmas steps forward toward the consul, ghostly greenish-red scales slowly forming over his skin.  "Where are these... things?  They should be destroyed."  For a moment, flames seem to glow in his eyes and at the tips of his fingers.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 12:42:30 PM »
What better time to study the ants' physiology than right after killing them.

Dunewalker stepped forward, pulled out his scepter, and fired an Eldritch Blast straight up, taking care not to hit anything.  "I think it's time to squash some bugs."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:46:25 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:08:33 PM »
Joseph appears from amidst the crowd to join Graalmas and Dunewalker.
"I'll help make these insects leave,", he offers, apparently amused by the situation.

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »
"As long as we get paid in the end, I'm in as well," a tall, dark-skinned man in maroon robes says, running a hand up his glaive as he steps forward.

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »
As Graalmas speaks, the people near him seem to withdraw from his appearance. A might twinge of fear, and heavy feelings of awe being apparent. Underlying those, hope and relief, that maybe the problems would be resolved by the stranger.

Then, the blast goes off, fired from Dunewalker's scepter, people jump backward. Though no-one actively screams, there are at fist whimpers as if those making the sounds wish to scream. Then, when his words explain his show of force, the people seem to ride the rush of fear into elation, the grins showing widely.

As the other two step forward, offering their words, the people of the crowd seem to grow happier, as surely this many people, of such odd appearance, must be able to solve their worries.

The Consul speaks out, directed at each of the speakers:
"Yes, Yes! By Mouqol, Thank you for being here in our time of need! And I grant my assurances, you shall be paid. Please, come inside the Hall, and I shall tell you all I can of our troubles that you should wish to know."

After having said this, the consul himself walks into the hall from its balcony. Walking through the crowd, the faces are varied, from elated, to cautiously hopeful, to still frightened. One face stands out, a tall and well built (and well dirtied, to the point of being stained, even to the point that you must guess that his hair is brown) man who seems like he is trying to stare each of you down with the sheer defiance of his nature. From how he carries himself, it would figure that he was likely the one offering dissenting opinions.

Nevertheless, the crowd parts as you each walk forth, offering a wide birth and an easy path. Upon reaching the Halls door a guard, a man in crude leather armour who is into his 50's by the looks of him, turns and opens the door for you each to walk in.

From the outward appearance of the Hall, it would have been probable to expect a more ostentatious interior. The lower floor is broken up with what seem to be many offices, 8 to each side, with papers covering these office rooms off to the sides of the entrance room. Only some of the doors are open, however, and with no stairs that you can see, one of the doors must lead to them. The entrance room itself is only 25ft across by 40ft long, and has a large round wooden table that gives off a smell to the whole room (cedar), roughly 8ft across, with a chandelier hanging above it from the 15ft ceiling. None of the decorations of wealth that a town authority would normally have, no decorations at all.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline ShadowViper

• Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »
A fairly tall Gray Elf fallows the group silently into the City Hall. He stands just under 6 feet, and he possesses intense amber eyes. His otherwise short silver hair has been pulled back into a ponytail that reaches the base of his neck while thin braids hang from his side-burns.

The elf is clad in an explorer's outfit complete with a shirt in a soft green hue, leather pants, a wide-brimmed hat, and a pair of sturdy high heeled leather boots. A forest green cloak complete the explorer's outfit, while on his back are found a composite longbow, leather backpack and quiver.

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 01:36:54 PM »
Dunewalker was easily head and shoulders above any medium creature there, and so he got a somewhat better view of the building.  Thankfully it had a decently high ceiling such that he could stand comfortably at his full height.

Money must still be a problem for these people despite the mithril.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »
Graalmas stands, looking around at the furnishings.  Wealth is a lie, and these people know it.

"Where are the creatures?"

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:03:55 AM »
After standing in the room for not quite half a minute, you hear soft sounds coming from behind the furthest door on the right.
Clud. Clud. Cludcludclud. Bang.
It sounded as if something ran against, or fell into the door. Then it opens, with the consul coming out from the door. He closes it behind him as he scurries into the room. He looks at each of you with a wide smile, and continues forth toward the table, though he begins talking before he even reaches it, not even caring that he is looking your direction as he talks, though he walks a different direction.

"Yes, well, first, I thank you for your offer of aid. I am Consul Adenic of the Ahnwae'nan Accountancy Governance. But to the matter at hand, as I'm sure you'd like to be done with this and off with your pay." He seems to be speaking in a rushed tone, by his manners, more likely due to nervousness than actual rush.
"First, on the matter of the mine. There was digging, then there was blasting and digging, and we were managing to gather a lot of good resources for trade. It was all going well enough, until some strange, large ants showed up. As I understand, these ants being the size of a person isn't all that odd, though I've never met ants I wanted to share my lunch with, much less my flesh."  His smile tweaks a bit at that, as he wonders if his attempt at wan humour worked to break the tension. It did nothing to break his. "But as I've heard, these ants are oddities even beyond their size. Slightly smarter, differently coloured, and seem to be able to grind through any rock. They seem to be taking over the entire mine and cave system in the area, turning it into their own little anthill. We, of course, need the materials in there to trade, and we would rather these beasts not defile our dead into food, to say nothing of giving the miners they attacked proper burials."
The consul reaches under a portion of the table, and seems to pull back a piece of wood. It comes back then falls down, and another piece falls from it to be parallel with the ground. The chairs for this table apparently being a part of the table itself, built in with rails and hinges.
"So we are asking people of strong natures, such as yourselves, to go in and clear out the ants, and if possible, let us know the general areas in which they took the bodies of our lost friends and family. The mine is in the hills, the entrance being not more than one-and-a-half-miles to north. You can't miss the path that leads there. We have some guards near it, but they are mostly just there to let us know if the ants try coming out now still, they might know more about the ants."
He breaths in and out, giving deliberate pause to the subject change. And finally, his nervousness seems to fade, but more because he becomes somber.
"Secondly, and a bit more direly, we cannot farm our crops right now. When some of the farm-hands went into the fields to the west of town, they did not return. The most elite guard in our town, Fevn Isand, who was our Warden of the Peace {Sheriff} went out to investigate, along with some of the stronger men and guards. He feared some form of attack, but instead they were butchered, only one survived, a Mr. Arel. He lives in the southern parts of town, not far from the Badger Inn, if you wish to speak with him. He told people of a large brown beetle, more than 20 hands tall, with might enough to crush the men. He said that he got away, because when it seemed to command swarms of tiny beetles like it, all he could do was run from them."
"I have kept in contact with my Governance superiors about this, but they seem to be... disinclined to send the aid of the Blessed Bloods who have been chartered to assist this country. I suspect they are otherwise occupied, else there'd be no reason to deny us salvation. Nonetheless, that leaves me imploring you for the help we need."

"If you have any questions, I may try to answer them. Otherwise, if you'll help us, the mine is to the north, and the fields are to the west." The way he's looking at each of you, regardless of your appearance, is like a little boy asking his parents for the toy he wants.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:29:21 AM »
Weohstan steps forward, letting his fingers trace over the thick brown mustache he wears from tragus to tragus as he appears to consider Consul Adenic's words.  Dropping his hand down to the sienna tunic he wears with his chain shirt, he nods, reaching a decision.

'Shall we root them from the mine first, or should we play in the field, lads?'
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 11:03:36 AM »
"The field, the field. It is, or seems, more urgent."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
"Yes, the field does seem more urgent if there is still a harvest.  If there is none, and I suspect the giant beetle has eaten a lot of the crops, then the mine might prove more useful because the mined materials could be used to trade for food"  Dunewalker said after contemplating the matter for a moment.

"There is also the consideration of one enemy versus a hill of them.  Getting the beetle out of the way first would mean it doesn't weigh on our minds and might allow some villagers to occupy themselves instead of worrying about this threat.  We should size up the enemy."

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »
"I agree on the fields. It would at least give the villagers something to keep themselves preoccupied with, if they could work on the harvest."

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 12:38:20 AM »
Graalmas shrugs, indifferent.  Fields burn, and so do insects.  Neither has use.

"Direct me to the creatures, and they will be destroyed."

Offline ShadowViper

• Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 02:10:23 AM »
Throreth nods "It is better to start with one enemy rather than many, it will give us a chance to train together. Familiarize ourselves with each others' combat styles and tactics"

And while the beetle or the ants didn't seem as though they'd lead to anything arcane, you never know. Besides, gold is always useful.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 12:02:39 PM »
The consul, having sat at the table listening, seems at a loss for what it would be that he should say.

"Yes, well, as I stated, the fields are to the west. And Mr. Arel lives two houses north of the Badger Inn, which itself is to the south of here, near the entrance to the town, if you wish to speak to him about the creature he saw.
If you'll excuse me, though, I must be getting back to my actarius reporting for the Governance. The numbers never stop."

The last sentence said more chirpily, and almost certainly in a manner that he's said it many times.

He then moves up, and walks over into one of the opened offices, sits behind a desk, and sets about shuffling papers and making notes on some of them.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »
"Bureaucrats," Sorag softly says with a shake of his head, before motioning to the door in a "shall we?" manner.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »
Dunewalker leaned down a bit to whisper a reply to Sorag.  "I believe numberphile would also describe him."

He then straightened up and was about to say they should go, but he figured he might as well see if any kind of magic was in the area.  He made an arcane gesture and his eyes glowed slightly while he looked about the room.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:24:55 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 04:24:45 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome