Author Topic: Amanuensis - What interesting tricks can you do with the 3.0 MoF Version?  (Read 9679 times)

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Amanuensis - What interesting tricks can you do with the 3.0 MoF Version?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 01:55:52 AM »
No it doesn't. You simply stack the spell on a single page. Like fireball page 1, fb p 2 and fb p 3 untop of a cantrip. And that works limitlessly.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 04:45:41 AM »
I hate to say that I may have been mistaken, but just so:

The Magic Overview Section of the SRD, Effect subsection, Same effect with differing results clause, says that multiple, non-identical effects overlap, but the most recent version makes all the others irrelevant while it's in effect.

So, zugschef's 1 page spellbook might just work. It depends on whether each subsequent secret page casting can count the altered page from another casting as its original page. If so, then you have a 0gp method of scribing spells, but for each spell you need a 3rd level casting per spell level. (I thought that the command word would also be a sticking point, but just "fireballpage1, fireballpage2" would suffice there.)

However, successfully dispelling a secret page spellbook would destroy it. It actually makes the spellbook even more fragile, rather than less so. And the casting slot costs make multiple copies problematic. An eternal wand of it as a 2nd level spell (made by anyone with the Rune domain) would mitigate the slot costs, for 4420gp.

Too bad even the 3rd level amanuensis spell can't copy a secret spellbook (non-magical writings only)

However, spells are written in 'complex notation', so the 3.0 version can copy them; no diagrams required.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 09:27:09 AM »
A targeted dispel would be needed. How does one target a spellbook which is in your pack? It's perfectly safe. And you'd be an idiot if you didn't have at least one copy of that precious manuscript hidden somewhere.