Author Topic: Anime & Manga 5: HISSATSU OUGI!  (Read 46716 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Anime & Manga 5: HISSATSU OUGI!
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2017, 06:59:53 PM »
Hey remember how in the UC Gundam timeline, the Gundam is supposed to be part of the first generation of mecha for the Earth Federation and how mobile suits were supposed to be a brand new weapon that caught the Earth Federation completely by surprise? How earth troops had nothing besides regular tanks/jets and personal weapons to face Zeon's Zaku rush? How most of Zeon's supporters laughed at the idea of the Earth Federation being able to deploy mobile suits of their own at all before being completely curb-stomped? How the Earth Federation's space ships had to be jury rigged to carry the first generations of GMs at all?

Well Gundam the Origin pretty much goes "HAHAHAHA!" and retcons everything as the Earth Federation already being mass-producing guntanks by the time Casval Char was ten years old.

At least it explains how Casval Char was able to climb through the Zeon ranks while keeping his true identity secret. Also that he was already a "I just had a great idea, let's get a lot of people killed on all sides to advance my personal agenda" guy since a kid.

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2017, 08:19:51 AM »
Gundam Boss: Ok, we tried to take on the main enemy force while heavily outnumbered and outgunned and got our shit wrecked for it. Didn't even manage to kill a single named foe. Now we can't count on any kind of reinforcements or support. The enemy leader just said he won't accept a surrender of any kind and wants all of our heads. Anybody has any ideas?
Gundam Princess: Eeerrr, call it quits, move to another planet, buy new IDs and discretly start a new life in a less risky line of work?
Gundam Boss: Genius!

Really liking Irob Blooded Orphans.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2017, 09:26:35 AM »
So Iron Orphans is over.

(click to show/hide)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2017, 05:18:53 AM »
Anime was getting a bit boring for me, but i found a breath of fresh air from the most unexpected of places:

CHINA

King's Avatar has been surprising me. I'm on the third episode, and i'm absolutely hooked. I find myself wanting more but can't get it until more are translated. Apparently, the sixth out of twelve episodes has been aired, but no english subs are available as of yet.

Animation quality is a solid 10/10, easily on par with AAA anime titles coming from Japan, really outstanding animation quality.

The story, so far, is pretty good. An MMO pro who kept out of the spotlight and refused to surrender to the commercialization of his persona is forced to retire from the game, due to the contract with his pro team and his age, and to give up his max level account to his younger replacement. But his deep knowledge of the game and impressive talent will not go to waste, as he is not done with the game yet.

The characterization is way more mature than you commonly see in animes of the type made in Japan, and it manages to avoid, so far, most of the tropes we have come to associate with this kind of flashy, action-scene oriented anime. It's "shounen" with mature characters and a more mature story, which so far, is a pretty good combination.

Better than Sword Art Online so far. Remains to be seen if it will continue to be so.

One thing is for sure: I will be looking forward for more Chinese Anime.

Also, it feels so strange watching anime in Chinese. But also really awesome. After getting used to hearing a lot of Japanese, it kind of takes me waaaaay back, to when i first started watching Anime and couldnt understand a damn thing they were saying, and the language felt so absolutely alien to me. Good nostalgia.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2017, 06:58:18 AM »
To be fair, sword art online is pretty bad...Not that I don't believe you about how great that show may be :)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2017, 06:58:41 AM »
Anime was getting a bit boring for me, but i found a breath of fresh air from the most unexpected of places:

CHINA

That's really not unexpected when you consider that anime/manga has become pretty popular in China. Japan is right at the side and they do share a good chunk of their written characters after all. Lots of chinese artists have been starting their own stuff over recent years and it's only natural some gems starts to surface. Although for now they mostly remain in China because why bother exporting when your potential national market is already over 1 billion strong? :P

Anyway King's Avatar looks quite interesting so thanks for the recommendation!

EDIT: As an example, u17 is a chinese site crammed full of chinese manga (manwha). From what I understand the authors actually post directly to the site and there's some type of subscription system for extras.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:06:55 AM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2018, 02:41:48 AM »
So finally managed to get around to start watching the Sakura Clear Card anime and extra cute animation is extra cute.

But even better is that although sticking closer to the manga this time, they seem to be adding the anime continuity too, like 52 sakura cards and mentioning Li Meiling. Meaning we may yet see Li Meiling. Do it madhouse!

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2018, 08:33:42 AM »
So finally managed to get around to start watching the Sakura Clear Card anime and extra cute animation is extra cute.

But even better is that although sticking closer to the manga this time, they seem to be adding the anime continuity too, like 52 sakura cards and mentioning Li Meiling. Meaning we may yet see Li Meiling. Do it madhouse!

My only fear is that madhouse is infamous for not following up for second seasons when they make gorgeous anime.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2018, 02:34:11 AM »
Well I'm hopeful since they kept with the first CCS for a second and third seasons.

And Meiling finally shows up and promises to join the action later on, yay! Really missed her smugness, makes for a nice contrast with Sakura and friends over-sweetness.

Starting to diverge from the manga quite a bit besides new cards too, changing the order as well.

Plus Syaoran was secretly a piano player all along? Sure why not. Just let him shoot some lighting again or something one of these days Madhouse. Shouldn't be too long now.
(click to show/hide)

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2018, 09:22:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asTxh9kuEvE

Awesome effects..but otherwise not sure how I feel

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2018, 11:28:33 PM »
Well, it doesn't appear like it is straying too far away from the source material which is nice, but live action adaptions are not anything I would be interested in. The way Alphonse looks really irks me though.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2018, 11:36:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asTxh9kuEvE

Awesome effects..but otherwise not sure how I feel

I.... I am so conflicted right now.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2018, 09:02:58 AM »
Just watch the damn thing.

Yes, generally live-action adaptations of manga get pretty hammy, but that's part of their charm.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2018, 09:54:25 AM »

Yes, generally live-action adaptations of manga get pretty hammy, but that's part of their charm.

Oh, I definitely will. I just always feel uneasy about adaptions of things I have serious nostalgia for, like the Kenshin movies(turned out great and I love them), or the new Star Wars(congratulations Disney, you lost a customer(Yes, I know, Disney don't care, they made their money without me)).
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »

Oh, I definitely will. I just always feel uneasy about adaptions of things I have serious nostalgia for, like the Kenshin movies(turned out great and I love them), or the new Star Wars(congratulations Disney, you lost a customer(Yes, I know, Disney don't care, they made their money without me)).

Yeah, adapting the whole Kyoto arc in less than three movies was a gamble, but they did reasonably well, considering their time constraints.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2018, 12:14:53 AM »
Just a reminder the second Code Geass recut comes out today. If you don't know what I'm talking about, they plan to add a third season and prior to that they are publishing the original two seasons in a three part film series. As part of the crunch several character arcs were dropped such as Jeremiah pretty much being dropped and Diethard shoots Cornelia instead of Shirley. But some of the fight scenes were reanimated and look better than before.

Also Highschool DxD's new season starts the 10th of next month and Stein's Gate: 0 which grim retelling of the original story will be releasing soon too.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2018, 07:13:55 AM »
Catching up with Sakura Clear Card
(click to show/hide)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2018, 07:25:36 PM »
And I am back from a long absence.

So the D&D and 3.X forums seem slow going, but the Anime thread is still going strong.

Soooooooooooo

I decided to watch a super-trashy anime, In Another World With My Smart Phone. I got 4 episodes in, and somehow it finds new ways to be unexpectedly cliche and generic bog-standard fantasy RPG wish-fulfillment .

OP protagonist? Check.

In-universe justification for harems by making polygamy the social norm? Check.

Token loli? Check.

Token foxgirl who happily mentions "I'm 17! :3" out of the blue? Check.

Protagonist finds a cloak which powers up your elemental affinity at the expense of making you weaker to your opposite, only to find out that he's strong in all elements so this cloak has no downside to equip? Check.

Smartphone has infinite reception and access to our world's Internet, but the protagonist doesn't use it at all in clever or innovative ways* save to teach people ice cream recipes? Check.

*As in making a ringtone sound like a roaring monster to drive away bandits while hiding

And you know what? For some stupid reason I am obsessed with the idea of an Isekai tabletop game.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2018, 05:19:52 AM »
Latest Card Captor Sakura The amazing adventures of normal girl Li Meiling:
(click to show/hide)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »
Technically less of a manga and more of a comic, MMPR #26 comes out the 18th but there are confirmed spoilers were released two days ago.

I think I posted about the comic line before, it's the one that started in March 2016 and deals with Tommy being freed from Rita and goes over some of the trust issues before launching it's Black Dragon arc where new villain allied with Rita appears and mild spoiler alert spammed every where as cosplayers go nuts it turns out to be Lord Drakkon. Issue #25 is the start of the "Shattered Grid" story arc and to help kick the arc off they filmed a nice teaser for it, I highly recommend it even if you think you are too grown up for the show.

Go Go Power Rangers, another currently published comic, is up to issue #8. It serves as it's own story arc but also back filler and starts with the Power Rangers first obtained their powers as well as touching on where some of her minions come from and what is happening in Drakkon's universe.