Author Topic: Unearthed Arcana: Still Alive (more revised subclasses)  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
Unearthed Arcana: Still Alive (more revised subclasses)
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
The column is still alive.

But Bladelocks got a nerf/sidegrade.

Personally I'll keep all the previous Invocation options that weren't directly upgraded as well, because this new list neuters some builds and removes any semblance of extra patron flavor. I mean, sure Hexblades can now go one-handed but I want playable warlocks with Cursebringers too, as well as some Claws of Acamar.

If you leave only the new options, Eldritch blast becomes, once again, the absolute best for Warlocks, with Hexblades being the best option for blasting with E.B..
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:14:36 PM by Wilb »
Lovely Zoma...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Unearthed Arcana: Still Alive (more revised subclasses)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 06:02:32 PM »
meh, somebody's gotta line-item each one of these's differences from the previous versions ... and do it again when they put it in a book.

Summoner Druid , I vaguely recall being impressed with the capstone
Warlock w/cleric-y-ness , revivify on shorts for players lite in the "shorts"

Paladin's list is good, and has a War Cleric like ability, that I like and have pimped to little avail, which may be just how that Pally likes it. 
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline 8wGremlin

• Been around for a long while
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 10:37:25 PM »
Coffee Sorlock - now can be any Patron with Pact of the Tome with new improved 'Aspect of the Moon'

I quite like Hexblade + Favoured Soul

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 03:06:26 AM »
Druid: well, ummm, that's quite a lot of healing, especially when summons are included. Or just a nice one target version of Faerie Fire that you bonus action onto whoever you want, but that is 100% reliable. The capstone can probably be triggered by team-mates too. Also, getting reduced to 0 hitpoints when in wildshape is just one of those things you do as a druid. Especially a non-moon druid. Even if they're not your "real" hitpoints, you still got reduced to 0 as you get bumped out of wildshape, so should get the freebie summons. Precisely how useful 4x CR2 summons at level 14 are is another story entirely, but they're non-concentration, so WS bump-out for them anyway :)

Ooooo, they gave cavalier a +d8 AC shield spell. For him OR an ally within 5'. Four times a short rest at lvl3. This is very, very good. It's a one attack/turn thing, so not as good as lots of actual spells, but still fairly nice.

Pally: that's a lot of potential lockdown. I can't help but mention Mystic "big me" discipline as a combo, to extend the fear lockdown range a bit on a grid. Or just any scary spell/discipline to glue things nicely in place for a good smiting.

The warlock seems very nice, coz it opens lots of combos. I'll edit this post later with some (and yes, mixing UA and other UA or core stuff too). Eldritch Blast pulling things towards you seems like it would be incredibly useful for lots of things as well. Far better than pushing in many cases (making blobs of monsters is usually better than dispersing them for the party. On a grid, but especially in theatre, where stuff bumps into other stuff less, but they're now all within fireball radius).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:33:59 AM by sambojin »

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 07:23:45 AM »
I still find it sad and wrong that Hexblades are the best at Eldritch Blasting. They can dump dex and focus only on cha + con, wearing a half-plate and using a shield.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »
(tangent but which might include some from this thread)

XGtE for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

The announcement says :  " the cavalier, the inquisitive, the horizon walker "
Your codpiece is a mimic.