Author Topic: First Dip into 5e; Sneak Monk?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
First Dip into 5e; Sneak Monk?
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
So I am going to doing my first run in 5e soon, and am thinking about running a Sneaky Monk Assassin of sorts. The game is set in a conversion of the Birthright Campaign Setting, in the Barony of Roesone specifically.

We rolled for stats, and I rolled the offensive set of 17 16 16 16 16 15 13 7. The extra 2 sets are for a bloodline score, but I dont plan to play a scion so I have the option to drop the two lowest, or drop the lowest and highest to use character options not normally avaliable for the setting. Since I am looking at Monk, the latter will be the case, putting my array to 16 16 16 16 15 13.

I am thinking for my Build that Way of Shadow is the obvious choice, but I am also thinking about dipping Rogue for expertise and sneak attack bonuses as well as Warlock for Devil's sight and versatility.
Right now I think I am going WoS Monk 14 / Rogue 3 / Warlock 3, with either Wood Elf or variant Human as race. Do to campaign specifics, I 'may' need to go elf to use Warlock since other races dont have magic usually, but I may be able to wave that since I have the option to use char options not normally available.

So is this build solid? And what is best Archetypes for Rogue and Warlock for this? Swashbuckler looks appealing so I can avoid AoOs while utilizing my speed and SAing targets I dont have advantage on, but Arcane Trickster seems versatile and I guess might stack with Warlock casting (Im not 100 with spellcaster multiclassing). For Warlock..I really dont know what Pact is best. Fiend seems solid for temp HP, Raven Queen is versatile. For Pact Boons I am leaning on Tome, but I dont know what the benefits of Blade really are other then knowing there are invocations to enhance them I guess? What even is the action for grabbing you pact weapon?

I guess my stats will go Str 13, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 16, before racials. Str, Int, and Cha can move around probably, I dont know what saves in 5e are the biggest concern, though I do have potential bonuses off Cha for Warlock and Rogue and Int has useful skills tied to it so it seems like that layout is best?

I still dont know about Backgrounds and other character building stuff so any other suggestions would be helpful

EDIT
And now that I think about it, what is the best order to take this?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:49:14 PM by TC X0 Lt 0X »
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: First Dip into 5e; Sneak Monk?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »
Your stats easily compensate for any build hinkynesses.
Main saves are Wis Dex + Con , and you're fine with those.
Monk 5 / Rogue 1 or 2 , or  Rogue 1 or 2 / Monk 5 to start, then whatevs.

RogAT would be able to swap slots back-and-forth, with the Warlock part ; but isn't critical.
Wood Elf would give you Dex 18 and Wis 17 to start. 
Dex +2 would make the biggest difference next.
Observant feat is on-point (+ one point) for Wis + Rogue stuff.

Can probably put off Warlock for midgame, with Short Bow
doing equal or > damage up to level 10.
Most of your picks can be for flavor at that point,
tho' Mirror Image is excellent for a frontline only situation.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 08:33:41 PM »
First, get to Monk 6.

That's when Shadow Monks really take off.

Second, decide if you even need Rogue or Warlock. (You don't.)

Third, keep taking awesome Monk levels until you have 20 Dex / 20 Wis, and feel awesome the whole time.

Fourth, remember that you are the goddamn Batman. You are what the darkness fears. You don't even need to cast magic missile to make the darkness wake up in a cold sweat.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »
First, get to Monk 6.

That's when Shadow Monks really take off.

Second, decide if you even need Rogue or Warlock. (You don't.)

Third, keep taking awesome Monk levels until you have 20 Dex / 20 Wis, and feel awesome the whole time.

Fourth, remember that you are the goddamn Batman. You are what the darkness fears. You don't even need to cast magic missile to make the darkness wake up in a cold sweat.

Agreeing with most of this.  Monk features want more monk levels, and if you actually get this character to high level, Empty Body is a ridiculously good feature to pass up for paltry sneak attack damage and easy opportunity attacks.  Monks actually get very hard to kill at level 14 because there's no clause on Diamond Soul that says you have to accept the reroll and death saving throws count as saving throws for that feature.

You might be thinking it would be nice to have expertise in Stealth and Cunning Action for increased mobility that doesn't cost a resource, but you're limiting your resource pool to do so and negating the gains.  Pass Without Trace covers yours and your party's stealth very well.  Shadow Step and your ki features already cover the mobility for you.  Unless you're constantly outdoors under the sun, you'll have a lot of chances to use Shadow Step.

Warlock 2 is the maximum you should multiclass since Devil's Sight is legitimately useful to this kind of build, but the gimmick sounds more useful on paper than it actually is because Darkness hinders your party unless they all dip 2 into warlock as well.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA