Author Topic: Exoticist fighter Interpretation question?  (Read 2894 times)

Offline MichelleSidheElfAmaianna

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Exoticist fighter Interpretation question?
« on: November 24, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »
I have a question about exoticist fighter dragon magazine #310
Page 35.

How is the exotic weapon proficiency granted?
Does exoticist grant you exotic weapon proficiency as feats for each weapon you choose? Or is it granted some other way like class ability?

Exoticist

Some fighters train so they can seek adventure. Others turn their training into an adventure. Exoticists forgo training in traditional, mundane weapons and focus solely on the rare and bizarre. They rely not only on their ability to wield these weapons, but on their opponent's inability to counter them.
Class Skills
The exoticist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Class Features
All the following are class features of the exoticist.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The exoticist is proficient in the use of simple weapons, all armor (heavy, medium, and light), and shields (including tower shields). The exoticist also gains proficiency with four exotic weapons at 1st level.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:08:18 PM by MichelleSidheElfAmaianna »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Exoticist fighter Interpretation question?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 07:03:32 PM »
Why wouldn't it?

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 07:07:30 PM »
Thought it might be some class ability or something

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 07:11:49 PM »
Well, nothing that requires specific weapon proficiencies explicitly says you need to have the exotic weapon feat so is there some reason where it being one way and not the other would need to be made explicit? Cause I can't think of any.

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 07:16:11 PM »
I can think of one warblade

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 07:22:33 PM »
How?

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 07:25:37 PM »
Weapon Aptitude (Ex): Your training with a wide range of weaponry and tactics gives you great skill with particular weapons. You qualify for feats that usually require a minimum number of fighter levels (such as Weapon Specialization) as if you had a fighter level equal to your warblade level -2. For example, as a 6th-level warblade, you could take Weapon Specialization, since you're treated as being a 4th-level fighter for this purpose. These effective fighter levels stack with any actual fighter levels you have. Thus, a fighter 2/warblade 4 would also qualify for Weapon Specialization.

You also have the flexibility to adjust your weapon training. Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus). You must have the newly designated weapon available during your practice session to make this change. For example, if you wish to change the designated weapon for your Weapon Focus feat from greatsword to longsword, you must have a longsword available to practice with during your practice session.

You can adjust any number of your feats in this way, and you don't have to adjust them all in the same way. However, you can't change the weapon choices in such a way that you no longer meet the prerequisite for some other feat you possess. For instance, if you have both Weapon Focus (longsword) and Weapon Specialization (longsword), you can't change the designated weapon for Weapon Focus unless you also change the weapon for Weapon Specialization in the same way

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 07:35:37 PM »
Why would you need to use this to change your chosen exotic weapons on a whim? I don't see any tactical advantage here.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 05:34:45 PM »
Wizards get a Familiar.
Other classes can get a Familiar via the feat.
Class Feature vs. Feat.
Not the same, even though they have the same result.
w.o.t.c. has any number of abilities that do the same thing, but are named differently; and/or named the same, but do something different.
It's wotc.  It's doing what they do.

You could PHB2 Retrain the 4 exotics into some other 4 exotics.
That would take your 1 retraining slot for that level.

A specific build with 4 exotics feats, could Psychic Reformation the 4 feats into some other 4 feats along with any number of other feats.  If you were inclined to do so, you could Tear Down an entire build, and replace it with an entirely different feat stack.  But that's feats.  Retrains are debatable.  Rebuilding class abilities is much more complicated.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 11:31:32 PM »
Keep in mind armor and weapon proficiencies do have feats, but when counted as part of a class's features they are no longer feats.  The monk for example is proficient in several exotic weapons, but it's never counted as having the feats for those weapons.  Same for armors, even though a Fighter is proficient with heavy armor it still isn't counted as actually having the feat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:27:03 AM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 02:15:52 AM »
Keep in mind armor and weapon proficiencies do have feats, but when counted as part of a class's features they are no longer feats.  The monk for example is proficient in several exotic weapons, but it's never counted as having the feats for those weapons.  Same for armors, even though a Fighter is proficient with heavy armor it still isn't counted as actually having the feat.

Quote from: PHB, Armor Proficiency (light)
Special

All characters except wizards, sorcerers, and monks automatically have Armor Proficiency (light) as a bonus feat. They need not select it.

I would imagine this is only meant to apply to the PHB classes, rather than being taken literally and saying Commoners have Armor Proficiency (light) as a bonus feat.  And yes, the Medium, Heavy, and Shield proficiency feats have the same "Special" clause on them, though specifically listing the classes instead.

Weapon proficiency feats, however, do not have this language.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:18:54 AM by snakeman830 »
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."