Author Topic: Tasked with doing everything on a 5e artificer  (Read 9072 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Tasked with doing everything on a 5e artificer
« on: April 17, 2017, 03:09:59 AM »
Party of 4 (Eldritch Blast Warlock, Necromancer Wizard, A wildcard who won't decide what he's playing until game day, and myself). I'll be playing an Artificer (choosing Alchemist path).

I'll likely be doing double duty as both kinds of corpse (tank and skill monkey), with an expectation of doing damage each turn as well. We are currently level 3, so my choices are kinda limited. The DM still hasn't decided how we are getting post-level 1 gear, so I have to assume I'm working with whatever I start with.

What do I do with this?

Offline 8wGremlin

• Been around for a long while
    • View Profile
Re: Tasked with doing everything on a 5e artificer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 03:35:39 PM »
hi Nytemare3701,

I tried playing around with the artificer trying to make it a skill monkey/tank and I've not come up with much.
I'd like to ask a couple of questions that may help me work out some suggestions if you don't mind.

Why do you want to be an Artificer?
Why did you pick Alchemistry?
If Artificer is allowed, is all Unearthed Arcana allowed, if not which bits are?

Are you totally wedded to the idea of playing an Artificer, or would you consider playing something else?

What level do you see the game getting to?
What things are you interested in doing in this game?

Thanks - answer these questions and I'll try and help put.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:13:32 PM »
The class does need help, perhaps a partial remix with the Eberron Wiz Artificer.
Or say at least the FiEK + RogAT prog, Pally/Cler spell access,
free Magical Training feat and/or custom Dragonmark feat.

Crafting during downtime is built into the class from start, even if your DM is being spotty.
I think most of the possible combos were found on the original UA thread.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 07:49:14 PM »
hi Nytemare3701,

Why do you want to be an Artificer?
Favorite class and concept. Tinker/Trader.
Why did you pick Alchemistry?
The unlimited use alchemy bag is worth more than a gun with no utility value.
If Artificer is allowed, is all Unearthed Arcana allowed, if not which bits are?
Races are heavily restricted, I'm playing an Ula Merfolk from the Zendikar Planeshift article.
Are you totally wedded to the idea of playing an Artificer, or would you consider playing something else?
100% locked in.
What level do you see the game getting to?
~10 most likely.

What things are you interested in doing in this game?
Finding and disarming traps as the party frontline (we tried having the tank and corpse be different people. It was terrible), creating solutions to noncombat problems, not dying, making fun objects.

Crafting during downtime is built into the class from start, even if your DM is being spotty.

Where? If you are talking about Wondrous Invention, that's an item every few character levels, from a small list.

Offline 8wGremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 03:06:45 AM »
Ok let see what you have to work with....

I didn't pick a background, you may want to look at them after you read this.

You'll have a good INT with the bonus from your race. pity the cha bonus is a bit of a waste.
You'll need to have a Dex of at least 14 to use with the medium armour
You have a lot of tool proficiencies, which you get double for due to the artificer bonus, including Thieves tools.

You get a good set of skills, but you don't have stealth or perception I'd recommend getting these with your background.

For your Alchemist’s Satchel, I suggest taking:
  • Alchemical fire (1d6 fire AoE - have to take),
  • Alchemical acid (2d6 dex, maxed vs objects - have to take),
  • Healing draft (2d8/long rest/person - your team doesn't have much healing),
  • Swift Step Draught(+20 move for 1 min, bonus action!).

Wondrous Invention
2nd Level: bag of holding, cap of water breathing (useless to you as your amphibious), drift globe, goggles of night, sending stones

I'd take Goggles of night if your the only one without dark vision, or the bag of holding

Spells
you get a wizard cantrip from your race, I suggest one of the following:
  • Toll the Dead, 60' range, necrotic, extra damaging if they are already hurt - new UA starter spells
  • Chill touch, 120' range, necrotic damage, and can't heal
  • Booming Blade, if they move away from you, they get punished, but you only have a dagger (finessable simple)

You know 3 1st-level you can cast 2/long rest.
  • Shield of Faith (bonus action, lasts 10 mins, concentration - you'll need this as you don't have shield or heavy armour
  • Cure light wounds
  • Alarm (again it's a ritual so useful)

Plus you get Detect Magic and Identify and you can cast them as rituals. You don’t need to provide a material component when casting identify with this class feature. - this is a nice feature.

In combat, you'll be closing to with 30' to use your action to throw your alchemical acid mostly, due to the 2d6 acid damage, hence the Swift Step Draught to give you 50' for an encounter/ every encounter!

Your AC will be 16 and you'll have disadvantage on stealth (if you go with scale, and dex 14), you'll get +2 with Shield of Faith (which is also a bonus action) .

You'll need a weapon, so you can make AOO.  So you may need to pump Str to use a standard weapon or use a dagger as it's finessable.

Overall it seems a reasonable armoured skilled character, but I can't really see it being a TANK, but a reasonable CORPSE, yeah.

Hope this is useful, and feel free to ignore my ramblings.
It was fun to look at the capabilities given your goal and constraints.
Other can you look over what I'm suggesting and wade in, want to make sure I'm not leading them down the garden path.

edit: changed shield of faith as per bruceleeroy's feedback - thanks
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:26:16 PM by 8wGremlin »

Offline bruceleeroy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Hey man, what it look like?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 02:52:39 PM »
Shield of faith requires concentration.
Normally, I would be reading this, open the reply box, decide what I had to say didn't need said, and close out. But this is just too ridiculous.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 04:17:24 PM »
-Thorough Breakdown-

That's pretty much where I am on this. Guild Artisan overlaps proficiencies, so I was able to pick up perception. None of my stats are negative, and I have a solid spread for general skillmonkeying. Next level I get a stat or feat, and I'm thinking the feat is the much better option. Heavy armor is definitely a non-negligible boost if I can swing the stats for it.

Edit: Just found out we are being bumped to level 4.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:19:31 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline bruceleeroy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Hey man, what it look like?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 04:49:40 PM »
If you are playing with the encumbrance variant you can ignore the stat requirements for heavy armor. With a bag of holding or a Hewards, I consider it a net positive.
Normally, I would be reading this, open the reply box, decide what I had to say didn't need said, and close out. But this is just too ridiculous.

Offline 8wGremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 12:01:05 AM »
You don't have heavy armour proficiency, which means your going to take a hit

Armor Proficiency. If you wear armor that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can't cast spells.

You  would need to take the Heavily Armored armoured feat, and if you wanted to wear the best heavy armours, you'll need a 14 in Strength as the feat will give you both:

• Increase your Strength score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• You gain proficiency with heavy armor.

But that will give you a base of AC of 17 or 18, which with Shield of Faith will get you upto 19/20

Also why the merfolk, it seem that other races may do better for your concept.
plus what are you stats, as this has more bearing on the subject.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 11:08:33 PM »
You don't have heavy armour proficiency, which means your going to take a hit
That's why I was considering taking the feat for it at this level.
Also why the merfolk, it seem that other races may do better for your concept.
I have a very limited race selection. I was able to snag the merfolk because we had Tritons in our game world already.

plus what are you stats, as this has more bearing on the subject.

Any selection from the Array

Offline 8wGremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 04:06:06 AM »
What races were you allowed to pick from?
Would you change your race?

You'll be starting with Int of 16 then with the Ula Merfolk

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »
What races were you allowed to pick from?
Would you change your race?

You'll be starting with Int of 16 then with the Ula Merfolk

Confirmed list: Human, Aasimar, Catfolk, Gnome, Halfling, Elf, Half-Elf, Merfolk.
Maybe list: Dwarf, Birdfolk, Lizardfolk.

Merfolk are the merchant race in this world, so it would be a significant effort to move away from them.

Update: We have 450 starting gold, and all magic items will require both a formula and a rare material (aka a quest).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:02:22 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline 8wGremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 06:42:42 PM »
Not sure how much help I can add for you. It looks as if your know what you want, and you have a strong concept in mind, that fits in well with your particular campaigns outlook. 

I wish you well in your game, please keep us informed on how your merfolk, artificer (tank/corpse) works out for you.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 09:09:37 PM »
I've put some work into applying the UA:Downtime crafting rules to the character, which should secure me 2 more uncommon items when the game begins. Definitely want to get the Bag of Tricks for corpse-work, but I'm not sure whether to go for the Robe of Useful Items or the Alchemy Jug afterwards. The Robe has been houseruled to be missing the gold, gems, and silver coffer.

Offline 8wGremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »
not going for a broom of flying? it's uncommon and helps you deliver trade goods and drop alchemical bombs

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 10:36:06 PM »
My DM has an irrational hatred for flight. I'd be shot down as soon as he realized that I was invalidating his melee monsters.

Offline Kremlin K.O.A.

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 07:18:35 AM »
Go with the robe of free money (err useful items)
I already detailed why it is so insane in the Fun Finds thread, but here is a recap.

Oops I did it again.
I looked at the rules, and found some bro-ken.

It takes 500gp to make the Robe of useful Items.
If you hire 40 guys to work on it, they can make it in a day, and the total cost comes up to 600gp
If you do this 10 times your expenses run to 6,000gp.
Assuming average rolls on the properties of the robes you end up with:
20 Daggers
20 Bullseye lanterns
20 Steel Mirrors
20 10ft poles
20 50ft hempen ropes
20 sacks
800 gp
7 Silver coffers (value: 3,500gp)
7 Iron Doors (Value: Freely make doors in 10 vaults)
80 gems (Value: 8,000gp)
7 riding horses with saddlebags (Value 553gp)
36 potions of healing (value 1800gp)
8 portable pits (value: unknown)
7 rowboats (Value: 350gp)
8 spell scrolls of level 1-3 spells (value: 400-4,000gp average 2,800gp)
14 mastiffs (value: 700gp)
6 Instant windows (value: enter another 6 vaults)
4 portable rams (value: 16gp)
10 robes (value: 10gp)

Just the CashMoney treasure options (Gems COffers and Gold) you get 12,300gp out of your initial 6,000gp investment
Then take into account the sheer number of dungeon shortcuts, work animals, adventuring gear, and spell scrolls? then remember it is all really light until pulled off the robe.

Hello near infinite wealth.

EDIT: Forgot the potions

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 05:27:58 PM »
Yes, but when you've only got one of them, it's not exactly a lot of gold. Handy, but not amazing at level 4, though a few extra items can't hurt.

Here's a few others not mentioned:

Boots of Leaping and Springing (permanent jump spell, surprisingly useful for a short ranged attacker. 30' jumps/9' high from most things on the array. Not great, but something to consider)

Cloak of Elvenkind (stealth advantage and visual perception disadvantage against you, nice)

Cloak of Protection (boring, but who doesn't want better AC and saves as a corpse/tank?)

Decanter of Endless Water (long ranged trip attack, low DC, but handy for when people are mobbing an enemy with melee and a bomb will hit them. Or just to help out meleers)

Elemental Gem (1 use only, but an early elemental can be a combat monster in lvl4 encounters. Your panic button)

Eversmoking Bottle (want an engagement of basic melee attackers or shooters to turn into treacle? Heavily obscure everything and run away. Unlimited uses, RP compatible, and darkvision isn't IR, so the smoke cuts most vision, but you can still see enough to do stuff. I like this one as a choice. RAW everyone being blind is "normal" combat (advantage + disadvantage to hit), but most DMs rule it as disadvantage to all. Except you, who's hitting via static DC Dex saves, not AC rolls)

Gem of Brightness (50 blind charges. Count 'em. 50! That's a lot of BFC for one item, at a fairly reasonable DC. Very good, I'd probably recommend this as a pick for your character if you don't go the bottle. It'll eventually be worthless, but good until it isn't)

Headband of Intellect (you need Int. This gives you lots of it. Really good for an uncommon item. Stat dumps ahoy! The array looks rather nice all of a sudden. Another top pick. Until your DM takes it away from you and your character is virtually useless)

Helm of Telepathy (it's fiddly, but 1/day Suggestion is great. You lack spell slots and known spells, this gives you a good (potentially overpowered), useful (can suggest anything) spell. Nice)

Pearl of Power (more spell slots. Why not? Everyone needs more spell slots, especially you. Kinda of levels up with you, because you won't have level 3 spells for a very long time)

Pipes of Haunting (DC15 AoE fear vs Wis save. This is very nice as a defensive item for a ranged attacker. Recharges a bit each day, so always good. Needs wind instrument proficiency, but grab it from background or downtime train it in)

Slippers of Spiderclimbing (unlimited spiderclimb, and not veto'd by your DM. Stand on a wall or ceiling and lob bombs at things safely. Not quite flying, but not far off it in some scenarios)

Staff of the Adder (ok, you can't attune to it RAW, but your DM might let you. A very nice melee weapon for people that usually don't do that)

Staff of the Python (reusable summon. Your corpse in a stick. Again, unattunable RAW. If you can use it, you can do far worse than a 60HP corpse that can melee and restrain a little. Just make sure you re-stick him before he's dead, or he's gone forever. Will make a great tag-team partner for your Mechanical Servant at lvl6. Note that the snake is Huge in size, so can't be counter-grappled easily by many things, while still being able to hit-grapple-restrain damn near anything. Surely your Warlock friend can help you attune to it, and it can easily be reskinned as your prior experimentation on the road to your servant. Another very good pick)

Stone of Good Luck (+1 saves and skills. You do stuff, this helps you do stuff)

Wand of Magic Missiles (for when attack rolls and AoE aren't your thing. Pew Pew Pew)

Any of these are way better than a Robe of Money. Unless of course you meant "I can craft two more artificer items before we start" in which case I've kind of wasted my time writing this :)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:10:24 PM by sambojin »

Offline Kremlin K.O.A.

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 10:07:30 PM »
Yes, but when you've only got one of them, it's not exactly a lot of gold. Handy, but not amazing at level 4, though a few extra items can't hurt.
But if you built it yourself as a class feature. It means you have the blueprints.
Which means adventures to get the special ingredient, or posting bounties in said ingredient to get it in significant amounts.

Also decanter of endless water is fun for dealing with underground dungeons.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:15:20 PM by Kremlin K.O.A. »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 10:15:47 PM »
But Gem of 50x Blinding as a blueprint, or Robe of Useless Crap? Considering Aritificers can't use the potential Robe spell scrolls for free spell research? I'd go for the "useful now" option, rather than the "gaming like the game ain't played" option, considering they're both consumable and you're not likely to get many more than 1-2 per campaign ever anyway (DM's choice).

If you *could* make as many as you wanted to, I'd still want a shit-tonne of blind spells for me and my party.

Serpent Staffs for everybody (with the Warlock's help)? I mean, at least you can put it away when you want to, so it doesn't necessarily have to slow down play.

"A Wizard's staff has a knob on the end....."
"An Artficer's is a snake, big with a bend....."
"An Alchemist's is wood, unless you want to spend...."
"But the Wizard's knob is bigger....."  x2
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:54:47 PM by sambojin »