Author Topic: [3.5] Chameleon 7th-8th level casting  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Alexei

• View Profile
[3.5] Chameleon 7th-8th level casting
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
I have been trying to explain the Chameleon mechanics to one of my players, who liked the idea of being versatile, and got lost when I tried to explain the way to higher casting (the simple one, up to 8th level, excluding ninths). Quoting from the Chameleon Handbook:

Method 1 - The Easy Feat Way
    Planar TouchstonePlH: Your first stop to higher level casting is The Fortress of Disciplined Enlightenment on the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus. Link yourself there and you gain the granted power of any domain. But what you are after is the higher power, 3 times 1/day you can cast a spell from that domain as if you were a cleric of you level. This qualifies you to take...
    Extra SlotCAr: Now that you can cast spells higher than 6th level you can gain an extra slot equal to one level lower than your maximum. You will need to take this a couple times if you want 7th and 8th level casting. Note that this effects both your arcane and divine casting and also you get bonus spells based off your Intelligence/Wisdom.
    Improved Sigil (Krau)RoD: While this feat is not necessary it does let you get the spell levels at the same time as a normal caster would. A couple of things to note the spells need to have a verbal component and you can only get to 8th level casting using this as the feat specifies as heighten spell and heighten is limited to 9th level spells. Note that Sanctum SpellCAr cannot achieve this because due to the wording of Planar TouchstonePlH metamagic cannot be applied (there is no actual preparation involved) and Versatile SpellcasterRotD requires actual spell slots.

Could any of you explain this in a simpler way? or another way, because I don't seem to get it. What enhances what here and how do I work this out? An easy to understand explanation about the Krau sigil part would be nice too.

Offline Fadier

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Speak softly and carry a big stick
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5] Chameleon 7th-8th level casting
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:39:31 PM »
Planar Touchstone lets you cast cleric spells from one domain 3 times before you need to recharge it. So at level 13 you can cast 7th level spells, 15th 8th level and 17 9th as per a normal cleric.

Note that the feat Extra Slot gains you a spell slot of one level less than you can already cast, so at 15th level you take Extra Slot (7th level) and apply it to you Chameleon casting. This is a little dubious but is RAW possible, but should only really be done in high CO games.
The feat should have some clause that means you cannot use one spellcasting class to give higher slots to another spellcasting class.

The rest is just ways to increase the level of the spell to get the spell levels faster and higher, but due to the wording Heighten Spell cannot go past 9th level so things like Improved Sigil (Krau), which referance Heighten Spell, only takes it so far.
The only way to get 9th casting is to burn a ton of feats to get Earth Spell which pushes the Heightened level 1 higher but without the 9th level cap.
My gift back to the CO community, The Chameleon Handbook. Humans only.

Offline Alexei

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 07:33:31 AM »
Interesting, so this means that at 15th level the Chameleon spends his first Extra Slot feat, and at 18th the second, so technically this frees the feats at lower levels for other things until they reach that point, am I right? So if he makes a Factotum 4/Cloistered Cleric 1/Chameleon 5 to begin, with the Planning domain from Planar Touchstone he could also apply DMM to the Chameleon divine side, which also allows for fun times? -no other buffer available in the party, and as they are at the moment high OP, I think it won't imbalance things-

Offline Fadier

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Speak softly and carry a big stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 03:02:55 AM »
This should be fine, assuming you can retrain or Pshychic Reformation the feats.

Quick side note, what is he gaining from the 4th level of Factotum? The second spell only gives you a cantrip and the Sneak Attack is not really that good. I would suggest taking a level of Warblade at 5th, giving you 2nd level maneuvers.
My gift back to the CO community, The Chameleon Handbook. Humans only.