Author Topic: Races with negative total ability adjustments?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Agnostic Paladin

• I'm newish
    • View Profile
Races with negative total ability adjustments?
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:08:02 PM »
Well, we got TPK'd last night after the main melee character got magic jarred and proceded to obliterate the rest of the party, starting with the clerics. So we spent the last half hour discussing what everyone's bringing to the table next week.

In the course of that discussion, I learned something interesting about our 89 total for ability scores house rule: that's the total after racial adjustments and before level adjustments.

Naturally, this makes races that have a total negative adjustment (like Half-Orc, Warforged, or Shifter) slightly more attractive - as long as I don't start anything above the racial maximums, this means that those negatives don't really apply for our game. I was already going to bring my Shifter skirmisher to the game, but now I'll have to up his stats first.

So, what other potentially interesting races have a net negative ability score adjustment? Anything up to LA 2 range is worth looking at; I can buy those off by our starting level. Templates are of interest as well - I'm going to write up that Dark Beguiler idea I posted about a few weeks ago as an Assassin for example.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
Re: Races with negative total ability adjustments?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »
That makes Elan better than they already are for psionic types. They have -2 Cha but no other racial mods.

Other than that....

Goblins have -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Cha.
Kobolds have -4 str, +2 Dex, -2 Con (plus a metric ton of splat support)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:18:53 PM by littha »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »
This might help.  You've got Anthro Raven which has -4 total stat adjust, and Bakemono which has a whopping -6 total stat adjust.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Agnostic Paladin

• I'm newish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »
Thanks for the list sirpercival, I believe that thread is the list I was trying to find; there's a lot of things that I would love to have lists of (like this, or of all base classes w/ their class skills), that probably exist, but aren't linked in the handbook index.