Author Topic: Aging & Reincarnation a dirty trick.  (Read 8549 times)

Offline 7h39

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Aging & Reincarnation a dirty trick.
« on: November 08, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
Hi everyone! i want to present to you a little trick that i developed for my newest character in pathfinder (but it's aviable also for dnd 3.5, only later) based on the Reincarnation 1st level ridicoulous drawback of -2 Con instead of -2Levels.

For the pathfinder rulings (same of 3.5) the defoult wealth for a lv2 character is 1000gp, then assume that just before reaching lv2 it will be near this sum.

Start with a Human Wizard 1 with 17 Intelligence and enjoy your extra feat at first level and extra skill point, and go adventuring with your friends and stuff untill you can buy a scroll of reincarnate (700gp and extra 280gp.

Then, retire dedicating yourself to music and reading, have a children or two untill you will enjoy your aging modifiers -6 Str, Dex, Con +3 Int, Wis, Cha.

When you're ready ask one of your sons to fetch a Druid or have him become a druid in advance. When the druid came up offer him 280gp ( as described in the service chapter with the formula Spell Level x Caster Level x 10gp ) and the scroll of Reincarnate if the druid has a low level or he haven't prepared the spell for today...

and Reincarnate (just note that you will suffer an additional -2 constitution loss, so you need 10+ Constitution score and more then 4pf at first level)

Now if you're managing this thing by background choose the race you like otherwise a random race will be fine.

Thanks to reincarnation text"Since the dead creature is returning in a new body, all physical ills and afflictions are repaired. The condition of the remains is not a factor " pur Physical stats will be restored to orignal pre-aging while the Mental stats will remain at +3... so your int will be 20 without any item that could be stolen anytime.

But magic don't stop here.

"A reincarnated creature recalls the majority of its former life and form. It retains any class abilities, feats, or skill ranks it formerly possessed. Its class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and hit points are unchanged."

So you will mantain the extra feat and skill point the uman race give to you and

"The reincarnated creature gains all abilities associated with its new form, including forms of movement and speeds, natural armor, natural attacks, extraordinary abilities, and the like, but it doesn't automatically speak the language of the new form"

you will gain also all the nice fancy features of the new race, also with ability score adjustement. Worst case scenario, if you reincarnate in a human you don't gain another feat/skill point

So, resuming for 920gp you will have (without spending a item slot):
+3 Int
+3 Wis
+3 Cha
-2 Con

1 Extra Feat and 1 Extra Skill Point and /or New racial traits

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: Aging & Reincarnation a dirty trick.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 06:49:05 PM »
Ah, the classic.

Now do it again.

And again.

And again.

Seriously, you can do this forever. Because aging bonuses are untyped, and you are specifically reincarnated as an adult of your species iirc.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
Yeah classic , iirc 3.0e spotted this one too.
Looks like some PF-pseudo-houserules change a few things.

The cost/benefit ratio is extremely good as 1st level.
And it's less sketchy than Dragonwrought Kobolds.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 04:18:25 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »
In 3.5, you can use the cocoon spell (Spell Compendium, p49) to negate any loss of level or constitution for coming back to life.  You'll need it cast promptly after your death, but that's not a problem when you're planning your own death. 

If your game takes place in an Oriental Adventures setting, you get +6 to mental stats for being venerable.  This fact has, in the past, caused me to contemplate adapting kobolds to be connected to lung dragons instead of chromatic dragons. 

If you've got 162,400 gp to spare, you can remove the random component.  You only need the megalith temporarily, so you could use mercantile background (Player's Guide to Faerun, p41) to both buy and sell it for 75% of market price.  Alternately, you could work something out with the DM to rent the use of one for half an hour. 

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:04:27 PM »
Use Last Breath instead of Reincarnate. It's the same spell level, but with half the material components (500g instead of 1000g) and no level or Constitution loss, all for the negligible restriction of working only 1 round after death.

Offline dither

• Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:49:09 PM »
I've only ever had one player voluntarily "retire" a character. Well, he's actually retired/un-retired a couple characters since we started playing together, but he's pretty much the only one.

This sounds like an interesting concept for a long-term campaign.

--Dither
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

Home of my game design blog and webcomic:
RumorsOfWarComic.com

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »
would be an interesting villain character as well. doesn't worry about dying, has a druid on tap.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »

... Alternately, you could work something out with the DM to rent the use of one for half an hour.

I always knew that Priestess was gonna kill me, one way or another  :eh
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline dither

• Magnificent Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Rumors of War Comic
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »
would be an interesting villain character as well. doesn't worry about dying, has a druid on tap.

I like that. "Druid on tap."

Makes me think vampires.

"For that real earthy flavor."

--Dither xD
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

Home of my game design blog and webcomic:
RumorsOfWarComic.com

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 10:54:02 PM »

I like that. "Druid on tap."

Makes me think vampires.

"For that real earthy flavor."

--Dither xD

maple syrup addict, perhaps. ;D