Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236779 times)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »
Isn't half the point that more or less everything works, so just pick a playstyle and go with it?

The camera's malevolence is my biggest gripe.

Go run a Sorc-only build, I dare ya.  :P

It's not actually that difficult, if you know what you're doing. Get more Attunement and then go get a second copy of Soul Arrow from the dude in a cage right below Firelink Shrine. You now have 60 soul arrows to spam. Plus Heavy Soul Arrow,  If you played the game before, you'll also know that the only useful trinket to start with is the Master Key. Which you can use to get early access to Darkroot Garden and the Enchanted Ember, to get an early Enchanted Staff for more damage. Now, you go grab the binoculars by running naked to where you get them in the graveyard and... Congratulations, you have just made 90% of the content trivial. Use binoculars to aim, spam Soul Arrow until target is dead. The only challenge now are bosses.

But you can farm enemies for souls and get strong enough that you'll not really get into too much trouble. You can play the game as normal from here onwards, or use the ledge-jump trick for early access to Lower Undead Burg and Griggs of Vinheim, for more offensive spells, to make everything even more trivial.

Make no mistake, the pure sorc route is one of the most powerful in PvE, and the only reason people think that it's hard is either because they don't know where all the spells are, they don't know the best route to get there, and they don't upgrade stats properly. Capra Demon fight is even made trivial by use of Hush and Hidden Body, as you won't aggro the dogs instantly by entering the fight area, and can therefore kill them before Capra Demon insta gibs you due to the rapid stacking of poise damage.

But then again, everyone just gets Havel's early and use the Zweihander and wreck everything, and Sorc only takes a bit more planning than that.

I scoff at the notion that Sorcery is a good way to go in PvE. Even at higher stats and with proper gear, I found the damage laughable compared to Lightning Spears and its ilk. I can easily run a Faith spell build on DS, but Sorcery only is ENTIRELY too annoying because of the low damage.

In Demon's Souls, it was the opposite: magic was king and offensive miracles were few and far between.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »
How silly Sorcery can get in DKS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RPGhxL0dbI
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2016, 11:37:30 AM »
How silly Sorcery can get in DKS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RPGhxL0dbI

The PvP version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86vzpyV4KZM

Dark Bead is good, but really...
The guy is using Red Tearstone Ring & Power Within.
The combination AMPs the hell out of any kind of damage.
I had a level 1 character I used dragon torso shout, RTS and PW to amp damage and 1-shot lots of things, including (much) higher level players.

The criticism can still stand that for a base playthrough, pure casting can be tough due to the need for particular, sometimes late game items, and resource constraint.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2016, 12:18:54 PM »
Yeah, i admit i chose a vid that showcases the ultimate late-game potential of sorceries, but still, you don't need anything other than your basic upgraded Sorcerer's Catalyst to get very decent damage. It's more than enough to carry you all the way to Duke's Archive where you get Big Hat Logan's Catalyst, and finally upgrade. Rickert of Vinheim is accessible from the get-go for more casts of Soul Arrow and the much needed Heavy Soul Arrow, and Griggs of Vinheim is also accessible fairly early into the game. There's nothing really especially hard for a Sorcery build between the start of the game and Lower Undead Burg, and you'll be one-shotting most of the hollows with your casts if you invest into intelligence at all anyway.

When you get down to the Lower Undead Burg, you get Greater Soul Arrow, which will one-shot the things you couldn't one shot before, and Great Heavy Soul Arrow, amazing for bosses. Plus, Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, for increased sorcery power. After that, if you have the Master Key, you could go to Darkroot Basin, kill the Hydra, save Dusk of Oolacile and get the Crown of Dusk, for another useful boost to your Sorceries power. She also sells the useful Hidden Body and Hush spells, which can be useful when fighting Capra Demon, by making it harder for the dogs to aggro on you.

After Capra Demon, it's smooth sailing right through the end of the game. About the only fight that can give you some trouble is O&S, and maybe Seath because of his annoyingly high magic resistance, but if you have Artorias of the Abyss DLC, Dark Magic will make short work of Seath.

One of the main reasons Magic is so good for PvE is basically because it's ranged. Most of the enemies in DkS will need to get to melee to kill you, and if you kill them before they can, it's GG for them.

In any case, after Duke's Archive, you're incredibly overpowered, especially if you take the time to do the DLC, since you'll have all of the sorceries you could ever want. Even without Power Within and Red Tearstone Ring, you'll find that you don't need all of your castings, or even many castings at all, to make short work of bosses. You can easily maintain your distance, cast when safe, dodge & run when not. And if you want to Melee... Well, Moonlight Greatsword is your friend, you have very high INT already, and it will deal decent damage. Only 11 STR needed to 2-hand it.

Sorcery & Mageblade build has always been my favorite both on DkS and DkS2. I don't think they're any weaker than any other build, but i do admit, it's a build that hinges heavily on having played the game before and knowing where everything is, as well as planning everything out in advance. Not like Havel's Ring + Heavy Armor + Zweihander, where you can get everything in less than 20 minutes into the game, and ROFLSTOMP the content by pumping 3 stats in basically any order you want, no fucks given.

"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2016, 07:22:52 PM »
Dark Souls 3 leaked info!

The future of Xbox looks a lot like PC

Microsoft closes Lionhead and Press Play, cancel Fable Legends & Project Knoxville

Way of the Samurai 3 coming to Steam

Kirby: Planet Robobot

Future of Xbox looks promising if it delivers what they're saying on the tin, full compatibility between PC/Xbox games is awesome, and will serve to bring together the long-divided PCMasterrace and console peasant clan.

Fable Legends being pulled absolutely sucks, i was waiting on that title. Oh well.

DS3 season pass doesn't surprise me, it's the usual business model of today. Nothing new there. Hopefully they'll go the route of using DLC to bring DS2 and DS1 closer together to the plot of DS3, and tie the franchise as a whole, and not mess with DS3's ending. I have high hopes, considering the DS series has consistently delivered high-value quality content with their DLC's.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2016, 04:34:01 AM »
What they forgot to mention in that Xbox-pc article is that Microsoft will also planning an hardware upgrade for the Xbone.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2016, 10:18:03 AM »
I'm waiting for the release of resident evil four, Assassin's Creed is taking a year off.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2016, 03:24:45 PM »
Future of Xbox looks promising if it delivers what they're saying on the tin, full compatibility between PC/Xbox games is awesome, and will serve to bring together the long-divided PCMasterrace and console peasant clan.

Still drags down the fidelity ceiling and design of what is delivered on PC.
The whole scheme is to control a walled garden app store, platform, pricing.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2016, 05:49:54 PM »
I'm waiting for the release of resident evil four, Assassin's Creed is taking a year off.

Then this news might make you happy.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2016, 06:47:08 PM »
I'm waiting for someone to post the videos of Quantum Break on Youtube, does that count?

Edit to clarify, videos of the cut scenes. Not the Let's Play videos of the demo which are ruined by the jackasses that can never stfu.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:49:44 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »

Then this news might make you happy.

Doesn' tell me a date lol, I syill haven't finished it when i got on my 360 lol  I mainly got it due to the new game + that it has lol

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2016, 08:30:37 PM »
I beat Dark Souls! :T

Maybe Dark Rolls would be a better name, given Kalameet...

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2016, 12:04:51 PM »
I beat Dark Souls! :T

Maybe Dark Rolls would be a better name, given Kalameet...

This is accurate. I tried going High Poise/High Def with full Havels and it does work for mooks and most bosses, but some bosses just deal so much damage you're better off fast rolling and relying on those invincibility frames.

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2016, 12:48:21 PM »
So Path of Exiles expansion is released. I realize I'd rather play a Shadow than a Ranger for my caustic arrow build. My ranger is level 47. Not looking forward to leveling up a new character. Remembers I have a level 42 Shadow without gear (and all skill points unspent from earlier resets) that I stopped playing because I didn't enjoy it anymore.
Transfers over the Rangers gear, buys a caustic arrow low enough to be used by the 5 levels lower Shadow... some time later, it's now level 52 and I'm happy as a camper.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2016, 02:24:59 PM »
I tried Path of Exile, realized it's WAY too much information for me to process, i simply don't have the same patience for games i had 10+ years ago when i knew absolutely everything there was to be known about FFX's Sphere Grid and D2 LOD.

Absolutely daunting the amount of information you have to process to have a chance to be actually decent at that game, holy crap.

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2016, 02:36:43 PM »
It is definitely a lot of information to take in. The passive tree looked daunting and overwhelming when I started. But the same itch that got me into min-maxing in DnD spurred me on in PoE. Also "decent at the game" is relative depending on what you mean by it, especially since a lot of higher-end stuff boils down to good gear or not. But if you mean "decent at the game" as in "I don't die that often and it doesn't take me 4 seconds to clear a pack of monsters", then your definition is closer to my own.
I'm personally uninterested in acquiring the currency to make one of those (number) 00k (as in 200 000, 300 000 etc.) damage builds, I have other games I play as well.
I'm topped out at 12k dps on my highest character and I'm content with that.

But yes, I agree that it's probably not for everyone.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2016, 06:33:49 AM »
I got a Humble Bundle that came with a copy of a game I already had.  So, here's a Steam copy of Magica 2.  First come, first served.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2016, 07:19:38 AM »
Aw, looks like i came maybe a bit too late...

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
fyi, Shadowrun went off sale and is back to $19.99 again so Humblebumble can sell their package.
Annnnd I may have just picked the package up anyway. Goddamn Steam Humble sales nickle and diming me all the time...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:01:35 PM by SorO_Lost »