Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236752 times)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #300 on: June 29, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
There's a path to find the Greybeards that requires zero climbing. You have to go to Ivarstead, and there's the '7,000' steps of peregrination to reach the temple of the greybeards. There's a guy that gives you a quest to deliver some food to the Greybeards, who leave off of donation (Neckbeards?), and there's also a side-quest that's semi-hidden to read 10 stone tablets on the way to the Greybeards, which gives you a bonus for a good while that IIRC, makes it so that animals don't attack you. I might be wrong on that one though, it's been a while.

Things i'd make a priority on a new playthrough:

Fuck right off to Riften as soon as possible. Easiest way is fast track to Whiterun after the mandatory intro, then take the charriot to Riften. On the Riften docks, there's an Argonian by the name of From-deepest-fathoms who is a little bit on the crazy side. She'll give you a quest to go to a dwarven ruin, pun-intended, the name of the quest is "Unfathomable Depths", clever Bethesda is clever.

Dwarven Ruins are an AMAZING source of cash/xp and gear. Dwarven gear is one of the best gears available in the early game, and levelling up Smithing to smelt all those dwarven ingots will give you plenty of cash to spare in the early game. You'll also gain a VERY useful bonus by completing the quest - making Dwarven Armor 25% more effective (effectively putting it on par with Ebony armor - prrrreeettty good) - and also making Smithing go 15% faster.

Which is why i'd make it my top priority to do this quest.

Also in Riften, there's the Thieves Guild. Which is pretty easy to speedrun through. The quests aren't ACTUALLY that hard, and you get some VERY neat perks, like fences who will buy your stolen goods - no questions asked - a infinite source of lockpicks, as well as a free base to call your own. The light armor/gear they give you is ALSO pretty good.

ALSO in Riften, there's Mercurio, arguably one of the best companions in the game, which you can hire for about 500g. And another companion that's a meatshield, Mjoll the Lionness, which is also a quest-giver. Her quest is pretty easy, and once you complete it, she's your follower for free. BONUS: The quest involves going on another dwarven ruin, so MORE dwarven loot to sell/smelt into ingots then smith and then sell.

By that point, i'd then abandon Riften for a while. No more super amazing quests or gold to be found, unless you want to go into the Black-Briar Mead stuff, but that can wait.

Markarth would be my next stop. Through carriage, you can get there pretty easy. There's SEVERAL amazing quests in Markarth. And, as a bonus, several GOLD AND SILVER mines nearby. SCORE!

Don't EVER underestimate mining in Skyrim. Mining is VERY useful, and can net you a very nice profit. Gold and Silver mines are one of the most profitable and most important in the early game.

Why do you ask? Well, the game decides your Smithing XP by the value of the item you're smithing. Jewelry is expensinve, dawg. Which means Jewelry gives some of the best XP you can get through smithing. And it doesn't require many perks at all to get into.

But don't go smelting all your silver/gold ore just yet. Transmute Mineral Ore is an actual spell in Skryim and can be found in Halted Stream Camp - close-ish to Whiterun. It's also a pretty good Iron Ore mine.

Did i mention you can transmute Iron to Silver and then to Gold?

You see where i'm getting at with this.

Contrary to what the game might lead you to believe, the fastest and best way to raise your damage in the game is by raising your smithing to godlike levels. Smithing can be raised very very fast, and it gives you real damage increases on your weapons right off the bat, as well as increasing your defenses the same way. And you make a quick buck by converting near worthless Iron Ore into pretty expensive jewelry, which you then use to buy more Iron Ore...

In a few short hours you should be able to hit Smithing level 100 no problem. You then get Dragonbone weapons and armor and are basically pretty much invincible to anything until the enemies level catches up to what you can muster in way of power.

This is what i'd do if i was in a new playthrough of Skyrim. This will make you powerful enough to be able to explore everything without much concern.

Another quick tip i'd give you is to use the caravan outside major cities to travel between all of them so you can get them all on your map for fast-travel purposes. You then never need the Caravan again. Also in Riften there's a quest to steal a horse called Frost which is a pretty good horse, and IIRC you can use Frost forever if you never hand in the quest. Do make him essential, though. He's not by default, and as such, can die.

The Dark Brotherhood though, can get you Shadowmere, which is actually immortal and looks super-badass.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 29, 2016, 05:01:51 PM »
Nice guide, I've just became a Werewolf and ate naked guards so far.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #302 on: June 29, 2016, 08:33:11 PM »
Also a perfectly valid strategy. Full Werewolf is quite viable with Dawnguard. Ring of Hircine can be your friend.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2016, 08:52:07 PM »
I've got a feeling Sor0 will love the Ebony Blade.  It gets powered up by killing allies with it.

The Ebony Blade is obtained in the Daedric quest "The Whispering Door", which can be initiated after reaching level 20 and completing the Dragon Rising quest, by asking Hulda, the barkeep at The Bannered Mare in Whiterun, if she's heard any rumors. If Hulda has been killed, Ysolda, who will have since taken over the inn, will not begin the quest.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 29, 2016, 11:15:23 PM »
Is there a mod to remove the "important person" flag from all NPC's? It's a pain to do it from the console every time I want to go on a murderous rampage.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 29, 2016, 11:23:34 PM »
Journal Entry #1
I arrived in Skyrim and I just got this feeling that today would be a nice day. The air was crisp, the birds singing, the bare chested brute with a black mask here to chop of my head had recently showed. Yes today would be a good day. As I knelt down to retry my luck at blind character creation the DM rolled high on the Encounter table and a dragon appeared.

In a struck of luck the dice had fallen in my favor and the dragon decided to murder everyone to help me. Dragons are such majestic creatures in this game and I am so indebted to them. I will had to do everything in my power to return the favor and karma willing pay it foreword.

Journal Entry #2
After the dragon freed me from slavery I followed a man to a nearby town and met a black smith. He was a kind man that was very much in love with his self. After what felt like hours of murmuring to him self because I know I wasn't paying any attention to his conversation he told me I could take anything in his house within reason. Such a nice man. I saw a shiny sword in the blacksmith's basement, I the great an amazing adventurer surely have need of that. I could almost hear the greybeards chanting the words of power, "It's dangerous to go alone, take everything."

Journal Entry #3
...His wife shanked me in the back while the kids gleefully came running up asking how I was doing.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2016, 04:05:27 AM »
 :clap :lol you should make a thread just for your skyrim adventure

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2016, 02:49:40 PM »
Given the way Skyrim auto-leveling happens, the more focused your character, the more deadly they often are against scaled content.

That said, my original playthrough was almost strictly a conjuror, maybe a little destruction/cold for cc. Most of combat was fire and forget pets and pick up loot amongst the fire fight. Real easy to abuse conjuration leveling by spamming bound weapon while this was going on.

Later on abused Enchanting/Alchemy loop to craft and maximize enchantments, which got absurd with the elemental/destruction perks. But also lead to me to second character.

Hey, there are enchantments that make unarmed close to viable with Khajit. Very sad that none of the Sneak perks would apply. But unarmed & archery was fun, after building the proper gear.

There's so many good mods out there it's decision paralysis to think about getting back into it.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 30, 2016, 03:22:08 PM »
Journal Entry #4
Thanks to some band-aids & retcons I got better. I followed the blacksmith outside and he task me with bashing rods of iron flat and putting them on the grinding wheel. A menial task for an adventurer such as my self but before I could turn down his request the wife cracked open the front door and asked how I had started yet because she needed a sharper, less painful, knife for dinner. I turned to the blacksmith and told him I'd be happy to make anything he liked.

Journal Entry #5
The sun set and I still haven't found the tavern that should be full of quests was. I did however find a door in the village that was locked and I tried my keys on it. It took a bit of wiggling but I got in without any form of detection other than the twenty or so pieces of scrap metal on the ground that were my keys. I attempted to borrow the sleeping peasant's stuff but he woke up and attacked me. I struck in self defense and in return for my efforts I returned outside to see several people standing there waiting for me weapons in hand. Somehow, I knew she was behind this.

Journal Entry #6
After even more excessive bandaging as I realized the rails on this world were built ten foot high the blacksmith's wife asked me when was the last time I slept.

The country side is amazing, I'm sure glad I wanted to hike to the other town in the middle of the night.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #309 on: June 30, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »
It's still in Early Access, but I'm enjoying the hell out of Subnautica. It's very much an underwater survival/building game, but instead of your done-to-death blocky MineCraft knockoff or zombie apocalypse the maritime terrain and life make it feel new and refreshing.

There's also the satisfaction of getting enough materials to build an underwater base, submarine, etc. Things are spaced out such that you initially can build small but useful tools, making your way up to bigger stuff.

I know that it's a spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate, but Pillars of Eternity has so much D&Disms it's not even funny. Still having fun playing it, though.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 30, 2016, 03:37:57 PM »

There's so many good mods out there it's decision paralysis to think about getting back into it.

I can't wait till the remaster for xbox one comes out just cuz mods!

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 30, 2016, 03:51:23 PM »

I honestly don't know how people manage playing TES on consoles.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 30, 2016, 04:42:27 PM »

I honestly don't know how people manage playing TES on consoles.

When i got it on PC, i still used an xbox 360 controller

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 30, 2016, 05:22:15 PM »
I got bored with subnautica, I'm waiting for more to be put into the game.

Granted, I didn't get very far with the building part.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 30, 2016, 07:10:57 PM »
Journal Entry #7
I came across some farm land near a town named Whiterun and immediately assisted in their harvest while they were asleep. Peasants need a helping hand from time to time and I graciously offered it without them evening having to wake up and ask. By the time I made it to the front gate it was almost daylight out and I must have failed a Bluff Check or perhaps the guards had invested in Sense Motive a little too much via some DM Fiat and they immediately asked why I came to town. Thinking fast I spun a tale of the haunting wife I found after the dragon ate my enemies. They were mostly concerned over the dragon part so I suspect they were all single.

Journal Entry #8
This dragon thing seems pretty big. Using it as my excuse I was able to address the king directly whom told me his court wizard had a very important task for me. I was handed my very first quest, I'd better do my best and get started on it right away! But first I need to compulsively steal everything that was nailed down and on fire without being seen.

Journal Entry #9
I met a cute girl in town, the local alchemist whom I sure knew twenty different ways to poison me during lunch. I showed her my confidence when I looked her in the eye and stole a bunch of herbs right off her encounter and I knew she liked me when she offered to buy them.

Journal Entry #10
On my way out I found another blacksmith she asked me to run a sword up the hill. I pride my self on being a cunning adventurer whom does not need the same lesson twice.

So I delivered the sword and left a tithe of forty plates and thirty seven goblets in a barrel outside of her house as a peace offering.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 01, 2016, 02:34:50 AM »
 :lmao :lol :clap gold.....comedy gold 

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 01, 2016, 09:59:12 PM »
Journal Entry #10
I traveled to Bleak Falls and I found it spider, it killed me.

And that's when I discovered perhaps my greatest ability so far: the DM had no friends.

Journal Entry #11
I stood at a doorway far too small to allow the spider to pass and I pumped it full of iron and steel tipped sticks until it died allowing me to free a thief. I was introduced to a Zombie the locals prefer to call the "Draugr" which helped me punish the thief but being unholy undead creatures of the darkness I had to put them down too. Then there was no shame in just letting all the glorious loot just lay around.

I also stared at a wall until I learned a new spell I wasn't allowed to use. This world is so strange.

Journal Entry #12
I came back to town and turned in the plot item, mostly because I wasn't allow to leave it with the blacksmith, and they told me to I was a good luck totem and I should head out to a lonely tower to see if my dragon friend would come back. That made a lot of sense and I had more than enough stolen items to pay off that debt though of course I did not say that.

Journal Entry #13
I met my friend again and when I reached out with my hand to shake it in an expression of gratitude the dragon used his mouth to shake back. Except he missed my hand and bite the entire upper half of my body. I guess he was really into it. I asked what he was doing and the dragon simply said eating his leftovers he was too full to finish.

How horrific, for the dragon.

Journal Entry #14
I fired another arrow into the dragon whose wings were in mere tatters preventing it from ever taking to the sky again and I moved up on the food chain. Dashing as quick as I could I ran over beating the NPCs high fiving each other for surviving and I begun to loot the corpse before it could even stop moving. You could tell how effective I was because within seconds all the remained was a pile of bones.

The NPCs then begun to chant "Dragonborn", "Dragonborn", "Dragonborn" over and over again pausing only to speak gibberish in between. The title is a little odd, I would have accepted "Dragonslayer" but whatever. Maybe Born was some kind of first kill thing. Then I stole their pants while they were distracted and we all walked back for a beer and quest rewards.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 01, 2016, 10:15:58 PM »
Also outside of the journal I think I did things backwards but there is no way in hell I'm restarting my file. It appears per console commands you are supposed to go Vampire Lord to Werewolf to "player.removespell F5BA0" to sanguinare vampiris. Through I'm not sure if that restores the Vampire Lord form of if it's only the normal Vamp stuff. So I bookmarked my first mod, Hybrid 4.0, unfortunately it only installs with all the Perks or none of them rather than keeping my current progression so I'll install it after I progress Vampire some more.

Werewolf to be honest is OP amazing. The quest for it in the Silver Hand area was pretty challenging but the undead and immortal follower helped, specially if you picked off the Greatsword twins ASAP. I was able to chew my way through the next quest with really no effort as well as clear a couple areas.

Vampire Lord on the other hand starts are significantly weaker through it's ranged ability is pretty nice. It's also done backwards imho, the longer you go without eating the more powerful you become. I also have no idea who I'm supposed to bite people in melee style.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 01, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »
Apparently the website Nexus Mod demands money to even fucking sign up for their forums to access locally hosted mods or to even see any post marked mature. I thought Minecraft was some millennial bullshit with it's ad-links attached to ad spamming websites but now you can't even access a mod website without throwing money at them. ffs people, you're taking someone else's video game with thousands of man hours poured into it. Spending ten minutes editing numbers or maybe just replacing a texture map someone else ripped out of another video game does not entitle your stupid ass to any goddamn money.

And in other news, the Hybrid pack was hosted off site so I was able to download it so that's a plus. But I want you to venture into my world for a moment, are you ready for this?
player.addspell 00092C48
player.addspell 000F8208
player.addspell 000E5F64
player.addspell 000F5BA1
player.addspell 000F5BA0
player.addspell 000A1A46
player.addspell 0010C6E8
player.addperk 0002BA1D
player.addperk 000AEC05
That's all the mod is. A list of game commands that are automatically executed in sequence when invoked. Any buttplug could perform it if someone decided to list them on the wiki in the same section I pulled the previously spoken of method to combine the two sides. At least this author scored a little higher on the self realization part and hosted it off NexusWorld because even he realized no one should ever have to pay for something like that.

Needless to say, I can already tell you that it would wipe my perks I already progressed for obvious reasons.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 01, 2016, 11:16:57 PM »
Apparently the website Nexus Mod demands money to even fucking sign up for their forums to access locally hosted mods or to even see any post marked mature.

I don't recall having to pay them to download mods from the nexus.....