Author Topic: Fun Finds v5.0  (Read 314606 times)

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v5.0
« Reply #500 on: January 17, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »
The Ice Golem (Frostburn) has an ability called "Ice Shards", which does some damage and has a save-or-blind. The blind DC is constitution-based. It's a golem. It doesn't have a CON.
Well, there's always that template in Magic of Incarnum that turns a construct into a Living Construct...

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 17, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
It's nice that they decided to not limit it to evil people.

I'm kinda sad that they only had Ceremony Feats in Dragon Magic (4 of them), PHB II (2 of them), and EoE (2 of them), and only the ones in EoE are any good, really. I might do a mini-handbook at some point, because there is some benefit in all of them (except Ritual Blessing. SCREW Ritual Blessing.)

Yeah, there are only a few ceremony feats sadly.  I too am glad it's not strictly limited to evil people, but the fluff is still such that it's not exactly something certain Good characters would take even though the benefits are totally worthwhile.

The Ice Golem (Frostburn) has an ability called "Ice Shards", which does some damage and has a save-or-blind. The blind DC is constitution-based. It's a golem. It doesn't have a CON.

Eh, I'm not so sure they dropped the ball on it.  The save DC is listed and for a CR 9 encounter it's a decent DC for being a free action every 2 to 5 rounds.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 17, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »
I think the level of the DC is fine. It just amuses me that they based it off of a non-ability.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 18, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »
Necropolitan Changeling brings up some interesting roleplay possibilities since the change Shape ability isn't lost, although the Disguise Self spell is a bit ambiguous on what its full capabilities are. "You cannot change your body type."  I wonder if we might want a new thread to analyze that and come to some reasonable conclusions given the spell level and all.

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 18, 2014, 03:45:01 PM »
Necropolitan Changeling brings up some interesting roleplay possibilities since the change Shape ability isn't lost, although the Disguise Self spell is a bit ambiguous on what its full capabilities are. "You cannot change your body type."  I wonder if we might want a new thread to analyze that and come to some reasonable conclusions given the spell level and all.

Unseelie Fey is rather similar at times.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 18, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »
I like that a changeling has the ability to enter other race PrCs, Slaadi Brooder.

What happens if the changeling enters the Yuan-to Cultist and reaches the ability that changes him into a yuan-to abomination? I assume you actually turn into one and lose access to Racial Emulation, but still qualify for the PrC and thus not looping prereq lose/regain.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Skevvix

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 19, 2014, 04:14:36 AM »
I think this spell should be a mandatory Custom Magic Item for everyone.

(click to show/hide)

Provides concealment (unspecified as to how much) and when you are attacked (no specified range) they get attacked back for a d12!

It seems like this could be (ab)used to great effect by a Knight/Tank.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 19, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »
Provides concealment (unspecified as to how much) and when you are attacked (no specified range) they get attacked back for a d12!
Concealment in vary amounts is 3.0 rules, in 3.5 Concealment provides a standardized 20% miss chance and Full-Concealment provides a 50% miss chance.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 19, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »
Quote from: the guy too lazy to put this into a demotivator
Boiling water deals 1d6 points of scalding damage, unless the character is fully immersed, in which case it deals 10d6 points of damage per round of exposure.
Hot water hurts lava immune creatures.
Seems legit.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 19, 2014, 01:58:46 PM »
Concealment in vary amounts is 3.0 rules, in 3.5 Concealment provides a standardized 20% miss chance and Full-Concealment provides a 50% miss chance.

those are the main ones in 3.5, there are some things that grant unusual %s of miss chance.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 19, 2014, 02:40:49 PM »
those are the main ones in 3.5, there are some things that grant unusual %s of miss chance.
irrelevant. I was clarifying Crawling Darkness's granted a 20% miss chance because Concealment is defined as bestowing a 20% miss chance unless noted otherwise.

Specific Miss-Chance related oddities have no bearing on general rules and mentioning them was a waste of time on both our parts.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 19, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »
That's why I was saying the 20/50%s were the MAIN ones ;)
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
We talking about miss chance?
« Reply #512 on: January 20, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »
CONCEALING AMORPHA, GREATER
- EXPANDED PSIONICS HANDBOOK (3.5)
(click to show/hide)
Editor: A 50% miss chance on all attacks made on you is nothing to sneeze at. Neither is avoiding all attacks of opportunity. Furthermore, a technical reading of this power says that it blocks line of sight, which means that you can’t be targeted with effects that automatically affect one or more individual targets (e.g. you could not be targeted with Ego Whip, though a Crystal Shard could still be aimed at you, though it would suffer the 50% miss chance). Since it’s a Creation effect, it can’t be defeated by powers like True Seeing and Touchsight. Exception: many DMs may be loathe to allow you to avoid targeted effects with this power, and will nerf that part of the power through house rule. In such case, this power drops to green.
Editor (Contributor): They can still target your square. You aren’t subject to AoOs either - letting you move about the battlefield, or even shoot/manifest while surrounded with impunity. Finally, it’s not an illusion, so by RAW it defeats See Invisibility and even the almighty True Seeing (but not Steadfast Perception or blindsight, so watch out.) Immunity to AoOs and targeted spells makes it a great defensive buff, even with the short duration. You probably already have its little brother though, and they don’t stack.
Editor (Persistent Power): Technically a 3.0 feat, but it is consistent with the conversion rules in the ELH. For a +8 (or +6 with metapower), this will last 24 hours (48 with Extend Power). But oh my GHOD, at 11th you can have 24 hours of 50% miss chance. When does that ever get old?

I must say, the psionomicon has turned up some interesting RAW. Interested in anyways to improve this or shut it down.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 20, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »
Quote from: the guy too lazy to put this into a demotivator
Boiling water deals 1d6 points of scalding damage, unless the character is fully immersed, in which case it deals 10d6 points of damage per round of exposure.
Hot water hurts lava immune creatures.
Seems legit.

Fire Resistance 1 is enough to render you immune to touching/immersing yourself in lava, but doesn't help against the heat it gives off very much.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 20, 2014, 12:21:01 PM »
Fire Resistance 1 is enough to render you immune to touching/immersing yourself in lava, but doesn't help against the heat it gives off very much.

Rules Compendium corrected that little error.  No longer is there mention of fire resistance granting immunity to lava.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 21, 2014, 05:49:30 PM »
Found something new in the good-old DMG:

Quote from: DMG pg 166, Wilderness of the Beastlands, Karasuthra Hunter’s Glen
Among the most famous game in the place are the white stags. These elusive creatures (treat as celestial chargers; see page 250 of the Monster Manual) live for the thrill of the chase and consider the hunt part of their life cycle. Even the most devoted defender of good can hunt a white stag, for the stag knows the consequences and is willing to be prey. But white stags don’t give themselves up. They take great glee in using their wiles and unparalleled knowledge of the forest to confound hunters from other planes. No creatures native to the Beastlands will attack a white stag. Instead, they turn on the hunters with unbridled ferocity.

The antlers of a white stag stretch wide enough that it’s possible to fashion a composite longbow out of them using the Craft (bow-making) skill (making checks against DC 30). Such a bow is considered of masterwork quality, and magical enhancements placed on the bow cost 10% less because the antlers have an affinity for magic.

A 10% discount on bow enhancements? I'll take it!

Offline Mithril Leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 21, 2014, 11:25:05 PM »

Among the most famous game in the place are the white stags. These elusive creatures (treat as celestial chargers; see page 250 of the Monster Manual) live for the thrill of the chase and consider the hunt part of their life cycle. Even the most devoted defender of good can hunt a white stag, for the stag knows the consequences and is willing to be prey. But white stags don’t give themselves up. They take great glee in using their wiles and unparalleled knowledge of the forest to confound hunters from other planes. No creatures native to the Beastlands will attack a white stag. Instead, they turn on the hunters with unbridled ferocity.

The antlers of a white stag stretch wide enough that it’s possible to fashion a composite longbow out of them using the Craft (bow-making) skill (making checks against DC 30). Such a bow is considered of masterwork quality, and magical enhancements placed on the bow cost 10% less because the antlers have an affinity for magic.

Downside is that you might end up chasing it through a portal that leads to a world covered with a permanent anti-magic field.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 22, 2014, 12:47:02 PM »
Downside is that you might end up chasing it through a portal that leads to a world covered with a permanent anti-magic field.

Care to point out where it says that's a possible occurrence?

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 22, 2014, 02:01:52 PM »
Sounds like a literary of otherwise fictional reference; someone may have chased a white stag through a portal to earth once. Possibly the one that led the kids out of Narnia (Thanks Wikipedia!)
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 22, 2014, 02:43:23 PM »

Its ok, you can always dual class to Fighter.