Author Topic: OOC General  (Read 11344 times)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: OOC General
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 11:57:42 AM »
I will look over the monster classes later to do an appraisal.

Hm. Are we applying some sort of fix/cleaning up to Unarmed Swordsage so it actually does what it's meant to? IIRC, the book version somewhat fails at the unarmed part (I think also unarmoured, but that shouldn't stack with CA Ninja's AC bonus anyway).
What exactly are you missing?

My ruling is: Unarmed damage and Improved Unarmed Strike as a monk, and AC Bonus gets moved to lvl 1. Swordsage levels count as and stack with monk and monk-likes for the purpose of advancing unarmed damage and AC.

Also Swordsages (both regular and unarmed) benefit from their AC Bonus even without armor.

And x6 skills at 1st level is a typo  :P

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 01:58:22 PM »
http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1877.0 and/or the monster in fiend folio this is based on.
Maug looks fine to me. I would evaluate it as Tier 4.

Humbly requesting a half beast youkaiskin with Dream Battle and Fate of 60 years. Fluff would be a werewolf of sorts that seeks to redeem her "sin" by seeking and punishing other sinners in the name of the one true god. There was mentioned an organization of "good" werewolves seeking redemption right?

EDIT: And if approved, what could I gestalt with?
Looks also fine to me. I would rate Yokaiskin as Tier 3.

And yes, there is such a group, the Wolves of the Holy Throne.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 02:46:40 PM »
Copypasting homebrew base class evaluations from the Discord for posterity and re-finding them easier:

Commander looks like a Marshal/Dragon Shaman with added light minionmancy and magic via cohort foci. Being limited to lvl2 spells, but potentially great action economy. I think Tier 3 is right.
Walker in the Wastes is like Druid, but without the animal companion, more limited wildshaping, and a narrower spell list. I think that is enough to get it down to Tier 2.
Chameleon base class seems most comparable to Factotum - can do a lot of things, but not all at once. Spellcasting progression is slightly slower, but with a broader selection and without the limitations of the Arcane Dilettante pseudo-casting. T3 should fit it.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 05:44:19 PM »
So, what all are people playing? I'm going back to my fallback of waiting to see what roles need to be filled.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 06:21:40 PM »
Either human or Snow Elf Unarmed Swordsage//CA Ninja. Lots of skillpoints and stealth.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »
Youkaiskin probably with Monk, close in fast and tear stuff in melee, also some stealth. Strongly tempted to don't take any natural weapons and rely on lots of unarmed strikes, using Youkaiskin for utility/pounce/speed, fluffwise my character would consider it "unclean" to use her teeth and claws in combat. Also that Shadow Hand feat to get Dex to damage with unarmed strikes.
And now I realize that may be stepping quite a bit in Raineh's toes, so maybe I'll fallback to pseudo werewolf Inquisitor with lots of natural weapons, get something with armor in the other side of my gestalt, pump my AC really high to be a big scary tank with White Raven and assorted support.

Also for my backstory's dark secret I was planning the killing of my parent was a mercy kill, something father was a monster and mother was a normal human but they truly loved each other, then one day father went out of control due to corruption or something and her own daughter had to stop him, then vowing to hunt monsters out of control everywhere. Most people know she started her career by killing a nasty monster, but nobody besides mom knows that said monster was her own father.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 11:21:34 PM »
Uh, something weird. Maug//Paladin for 2-3 levels, then something else, is what I'm looking at now. But strength and front-lining, I think, with a holy kinda asthetic. For fluff, I'm thinking, as I said, as being a big ole' bit of gothic masonry which has decided that the world isn't going to fix itself, and that it needs to be a guardian of what it can. (with a melancholy feel to it, rather than a heroic feel)

Could I get a tier assessment on

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?120539-Complete-(-)-Martial-(or-yet-another-ToB-homebrew)-The-Blademaster-(base-class)
and
http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=586.0

As possibilities?

(And I guess by implication of cha-to-everything, also a bit of party face? Certainly, in the sense of facade)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:44:52 PM by Archon »

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 02:19:58 AM »
(Also, re: Technicalities in the Maug class; does "Proficiency in all Armour" include Exotic Super-heavy plate? And I think that you get immunity to fear from being a construct, but I'm not certain of it?)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 02:41:48 AM »
All fear attacks are mind-affecting fear effects, and so immunity to mind-affecting automatically covers immunity to Fear too.

Offline Arccosecant

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 04:11:51 AM »
So, what all are people playing? I'm going back to my fallback of waiting to see what roles need to be filled.

Psychic Warrior//Soulbow. Aiming for Wis to everything. Possibly going into Sanctified Mind later for backstory reasons.

Fluff: Someone who had suffered a mental breakdown in the past and was institutionalized (dark secret). After rehabilitation and a period of intense disciplined training, scraps of memory began to surface of a psionic attacker who had erased and rewritten a large portion of memory, and who was responsible for the "breakdown". Now seeking retribution against the individual or organization who had done this, and to protect others from malign psychic influence.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 03:29:30 PM »
Approved:
Races:
- Lesser Aasimar
- Lesser Planetouched in general

Classes:
- Warlock (MammonAzrael Rewrite) - heritages limited to Aberrant (GOO), Demonic, Infernal and Fey

Skills:
- Warcraft (applications will get dumped into Knowledge (history))

And now I realize that may be stepping quite a bit in Raineh's toes, so maybe I'll fallback to pseudo werewolf Inquisitor with lots of natural weapons, get something with armor in the other side of my gestalt, pump my AC really high to be a big scary tank with White Raven and assorted support.
Up to Raineh. There are situations where two sneaks are better than one, and Swordsage has some abilities that rely heavily on flanking.

Also for my backstory's dark secret I was planning the killing of my parent was a mercy kill, something father was a monster and mother was a normal human but they truly loved each other, then one day father went out of control due to corruption or something and her own daughter had to stop him, then vowing to hunt monsters out of control everywhere. Most people know she started her career by killing a nasty monster, but nobody besides mom knows that said monster was her own father.
Dark secrets work better when there isn't a single point of failure. Some suggestions for making it more applicable:
1.) Mom was one of those naive romantics who have their ax crazy, monstrous relative locked up in the attic (a common Gothic trope) in the deluded hope that there might be a cure and/or that they are not really evil. Now she accuses you having ruined it all, and is possibly looking for a way to bring Daddy back.
2.) Daddy left a re-transformed corpse (a common lycanthrope trope), and not everyone bought your monster story. Some people are still itching to step through your door with a gun in their hand and bring you to what they consider to be justice.

Could I get a tier assessment on

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?120539-Complete-(-)-Martial-(or-yet-another-ToB-homebrew)-The-Blademaster-(base-class)
and
http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=586.0

As possibilities?
Blademaster is T3 - pretty much on par with other initiators. For Stone Dragon Blademasters an argument for T4 could be made since that school is so easily disabled.

Angel is T1. The closest comparable classes are Favoured Soul and Spontaneous Cleric, and Angel leaves them far behind with its boatload of extra SLAs and other features.

(Also, re: Technicalities in the Maug class; does "Proficiency in all Armour" include Exotic Super-heavy plate? And I think that you get immunity to fear from being a construct, but I'm not certain of it?)
Looking at other classes that seems to be a case of bad wording. Fighter as the classic all armor class for example specifically spells out "all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields)". So no, exotic armors are not automatically included.

As Oslecamo already said, fear is already covered under the mind-affecting immunity.

Fluff: Someone who had suffered a mental breakdown in the past and was institutionalized (dark secret). After rehabilitation and a period of intense disciplined training, scraps of memory began to surface of a psionic attacker who had erased and rewritten a large portion of memory, and who was responsible for the "breakdown". Now seeking retribution against the individual or organization who had done this, and to protect others from malign psychic influence.
Amnesia is a very classic Gothic trope :D Generally more from freak accidents and/or horrible encounters, but some psionic mesmerist purposefully creating it is also a good fit.
Commonly leads up to hijinx about re-appearing heirs claiming their rightful inheritances, busted engagements with the old fiancee partycrashing the marriage ceremony in the last minute and the like.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 05:40:19 PM »
I'd rather avoid doubling up on the unarmed stealthy maneuver-user.

Though Swordsage is less about using flanking (Assassin's Stance is the one-off for that) and more about making it because of Island of Blades. But that requires a literal second sneak-attacker to be useful.

I'm more about flatfooted. :lmao

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 07:04:19 PM »
I can blind them with science magic?
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 07:05:24 PM »
Heh, I have a few ways to get flat-footed on my own, but more are always welcome. Precision damage on maneuvers...  :smirk
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:27:37 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »
Dark secrets work better when there isn't a single point of failure. Some suggestions for making it more applicable:
1.) Mom was one of those naive romantics who have their ax crazy, monstrous relative locked up in the attic (a common Gothic trope) in the deluded hope that there might be a cure and/or that they are not really evil. Now she accuses you having ruined it all, and is possibly looking for a way to bring Daddy back.
2.) Daddy left a re-transformed corpse (a common lycanthrope trope), and not everyone bought your monster story. Some people are still itching to step through your door with a gun in their hand and bring you to what they consider to be justice.

That sounds a bit unfair, my character being forced to kill her own father already sounds like a pretty big failure. She deeply loved and trusted him, so seeing him go corrupted was pretty heart breaking on its own, killing him scarred her own soul, and she'll always blame herself for not finding a better solution other than taking him out with her own teeth. Plus mom could be "I'm not angry with you sweetie, just disapointed", and/or reduced to a shadow of her former self now that her beloved husband's gone, which may hurt my character even more than psycho mom out for revenge against her own daughter. Doubly so when everybody remembers dad as some horrible monster that only deserved death and they must both smile and nod when other people talk about it. Although thinking about it now mom descending into darkness/madness looking for a way to bring dad back does sound like an interesting plot point "we'll be one happy family again!" so my character has to keep an eye in her.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 10:57:33 AM »
I am thinking about dropping out of this game, I don't know if I have the time to learn the house rules and get a character up in a reasonable amount of time.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 02:06:13 PM »
That sounds a bit unfair, my character being forced to kill her own father already sounds like a pretty big failure. She deeply loved and trusted him, so seeing him go corrupted was pretty heart breaking on its own, killing him scarred her own soul, and she'll always blame herself for not finding a better solution other than taking him out with her own teeth. Plus mom could be "I'm not angry with you sweetie, just disapointed", and/or reduced to a shadow of her former self now that her beloved husband's gone, which may hurt my character even more than psycho mom out for revenge against her own daughter. Doubly so when everybody remembers dad as some horrible monster that only deserved death and they must both smile and nod when other people talk about it. Although thinking about it now mom descending into darkness/madness looking for a way to bring dad back does sound like an interesting plot point "we'll be one happy family again!" so my character has to keep an eye in her.
Dark Secrets are not about how much grief they may have caused in the past - they are about the present and future and especially what trouble they may get you in, typically by people who strongly disagree with your past actions. That makes dark secrets that have largely been resolved and have little risk of getting leaked not very good.

Mommy looking for a way to re-create one happy family again is a much better angle. There are plenty of crazy scientists with lightning rods, mediums, devils offering deals involving dolls and other unwholesome people one can run into on such a quest, all of them eager to help for a price.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2019, 03:33:00 PM »
More approved items from Discord:

- Angel class is T3 if reduced to Bard spell progression
- Falling Star martial school
- Serenity feat
- Practiced Mind Blade feat

Offline Arccosecant

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
Here is the psionic Abjurant Champion.
Changed prerequisite feat to Skill Focus (Concentration), added Autohypnosis as a class skill, and changed the boost bonus from insight to competence (because the insight bonuses would be easier to come by with the precognition powers than with spells).

...and one other thing. I almost forgot that Shiba Protector is 3.0; would it be allowed?

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2019, 06:43:22 PM »
Here is the psionic Abjurant Champion.
Changed prerequisite feat to Skill Focus (Concentration), added Autohypnosis as a class skill, and changed the boost bonus from insight to competence (because the insight bonuses would be easier to come by with the precognition powers than with spells).
Looks good.

However, keep in mind that Chopping down the Christmas Tree already brings permanent competence bonuses on all Psychic Boost entries but resistances.

...and one other thing. I almost forgot that Shiba Protector is 3.0; would it be allowed?
Shiba Protector is fine. As for all PrCs tier evaluation will depend on entryway.