Author Topic: Any interest in a cWoD Mage:the Ascension game?  (Read 31928 times)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
Re: Any interest in a cWoD Mage:the Ascension game?
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
In addition, because we're going to play in the Victorean Era, you won't  be able to pick Sons of Ether or Virtual Adepts (they haven't joined the traditions yet). If you want to play one, we can probably work something out.

Question: What's going to be the general tone of the game? Like, is it going to be a more serious game, or a more for fun game? My head is boiling with ideas but idk if all of them are appropriate or not, given the comedic tone of some of them. (I like to sometimes play the comic-relief guy)
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
In addition, because we're going to play in the Victorean Era, you won't  be able to pick Sons of Ether or Virtual Adepts (they haven't joined the traditions yet). If you want to play one, we can probably work something out.

Question: What's going to be the general tone of the game? Like, is it going to be a more serious game, or a more for fun game? My head is boiling with ideas but idk if all of them are appropriate or not, given the comedic tone of some of them. (I like to sometimes play the comic-relief guy)

My opinion, especially on whitewolf games, is that the game should adapt to the characters, not the other way around. I have a general "story" in my mind, but I'm not set on the mood and feel.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 03:14:11 AM »
Now reading the book through. Wow, that's a lot of background to take in . I'll just play an Orphan to cover for my lack of mastery of the game.

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 04:35:05 AM »
That makes the talents Drive and Computer are unavailable as well, right?

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 07:45:05 AM »
And I thought that the Hollow ones were not formed until the 1800's. Of course, most think they're even newer, but they supposedly date back as far as 1800's.

Then again, I am no where near as familiar with Mage as I am Vamp and Werewolf. Basically, only barely above where Pip is. Barely, give him about another hour and he'll pass me easily :).
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
And I thought that the Hollow ones were not formed until the 1800's. Of course, most think they're even newer, but they supposedly date back as far as 1800's.

Then again, I am no where near as familiar with Mage as I am Vamp and Werewolf. Basically, only barely above where Pip is. Barely, give him about another hour and he'll pass me easily :).

Orphans != Hollow ones

That makes the talents Drive and Computer are unavailable as well, right?

Yes, replace with "archery" or "ballistics"? Instead of computer use another knowledge like science or technology.

Important note: since you are new mage players: read about paradigm and make sure you understand it. I will take paradigm very very seriously.

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 04:44:56 AM »
Dictum: this may be of some use to you.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »
Dictum: this may be of some use to you.

Very nice :D

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »

Considering the setting was Victorian era before the French revolution the time period on the game has to be somewhere between 1837 and 1848.

Confusing thing is that there are several things referred to as the French revolution but 1848 is the only one in what you could call the Victorian era. (generally the first second and third French revolutions date at 1789, 1830 and 1848. The last one is the only one in the victorian era of 1837-1901)

In any case I am just sad I didn't see this until now, Mage always looked like an interesting game but I never got a chance to play it myself.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 11:10:47 AM »

Considering the setting was Victorian era before the French revolution the time period on the game has to be somewhere between 1837 and 1848.

Confusing thing is that there are several things referred to as the French revolution but 1848 is the only one in what you could call the Victorian era. (generally the first second and third French revolutions date at 1789, 1830 and 1848. The last one is the only one in the victorian era of 1837-1901)

In any case I am just sad I didn't see this until now, Mage always looked like an interesting game but I never got a chance to play it myself.

Are you going to participate?  :D

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »
I would but I have no experience with the rules and for some reason cant get my mind away from steam powered robots whenever someone mentions Victorian and Magic in the same sentence which doesn't seem to be supported by the game anyway (seems like the people likley to have these kinds of things are the Artificers of the Order of Reason in this time period. The Order of reason doesn't become the Technocratic union until 1851 but as they are generally antagonistic towards the whole mages thing its probably not a workable concept.)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »
I would but I have no experience with the rules and for some reason cant get my mind away from steam powered robots whenever someone mentions Victorian and Magic in the same sentence which doesn't seem to be supported by the game anyway (seems like the people likley to have these kinds of things are the Artificers of the Order of Reason in this time period. The Order of reason doesn't become the Technocratic union until 1851 but as they are generally antagonistic towards the whole mages thing its probably not a workable concept.)

Would a Golem work out for you? :D
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »
Probably as long as I could fit a boiler in it somewhere...

Edit:
Apparently you can make a construct familiar for exactly this sort of thing... I cant imagine the ammount of paradox a 8ft tall steam robot thing would generate walking down a victorian street but I imagine it would not be good... Still it would probably be rather nasty to fight.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:03:44 PM by littha »

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 05:20:24 PM »

Orphans != Hollow ones

:facepalm

So how many players are you looking for?
Bearing in mind that it seems as though all of the interested players have OWoD experience, but not with Mage. So you'll have that to deal with.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 06:44:38 PM »
Done! You said something about uploading?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »
Are there any more openings?  I have no experience with any WoD game ever (though I've played Scion so I know how White Wolf likes to do things), but I've been wanting to play a game run by you Dictum.   :p

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »
Are there any more openings?  I have no experience with any WoD game ever (though I've played Scion so I know how White Wolf likes to do things), but I've been wanting to play a game run by you Dictum.   :p
Wow... It took a month and a half, but suddenly this has gone from one or two interested people to: Flay?; Pip; Bru; Littha; Myself; and Nan.

And in half a year, Agita :).

Quite the sudden burst in interest.

I can't quite tell if this is because Mage has one of the better / more interesting systems in OWoD, or if it's the lure of the storyteller being the person who, literally, wrote the handbook on writing handbooks. :D
(Hint: Both of the above.)

EDIT: And to answer Littha's question above, from the book "Forged by Dragons Fire" an unusual familiar causes you to gain one point of paradox per background point spent on it when witnesses see it, and can hold five points of paradox per background point. Whats more is, they only act as additional storage, the paradox is still yours, and thus, you make it worse on yourself in the long run. Unless you make D*** sure that it has the Charm that lets it get rid of the paradox, which only works for one point per session, per purchase of the ability, which is five points, which you get a number of points (specifically, freebie points to spend on it's stats, and it is WEAK without them) equal to the points in your Familiar Background X 10.

So you spend five points on the thing, and you can store 25 points of Paradox in it, and it can cleanse 10 points of paradox per session (if that's the only ability you invest in).
Handy if you plan to be vulgar as hell, but not worth the investment IMO.

Am trying to find the rules for the combo of Manifest Avatar (Merit) with Phylactery (Flaw) since they stipulate to combine as the spirit in your familiar is your Avatar itself, but I cannot find the rules for it yet.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:05:16 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 08:07:59 PM »
Are we going to play First Edition, Second Edition, or Revised Edition?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 08:28:01 PM »
EDIT: And to answer Littha's question above, from the book "Forged by Dragons Fire" an unusual familiar causes you to gain one point of paradox per background point spent on it when witnesses see it, and can hold five points of paradox per background point. Whats more is, they only act as additional storage, the paradox is still yours, and thus, you make it worse on yourself in the long run. Unless you make D*** sure that it has the Charm that lets it get rid of the paradox, which only works for one point per session, per purchase of the ability, which is five points, which you get a number of points (specifically, freebie points to spend on it's stats, and it is WEAK without them) equal to the points in your Familiar Background X 10.

So you spend five points on the thing, and you can store 25 points of Paradox in it, and it can cleanse 10 points of paradox per session (if that's the only ability you invest in).
Handy if you plan to be vulgar as hell, but not worth the investment IMO.

Am trying to find the rules for the combo of Manifest Avatar (Merit) with Phylactery (Flaw) since they stipulate to combine as the spirit in your familiar is your Avatar itself, but I cannot find the rules for it yet.

I generally wouldn't use it where people could see it anyway, especially considering I would be spending 5 background points on it. The idea is to get along without it most of the time and just use it like an ICBM, effective and massively distructive but not something you want to be using all the time.

Problem is it seems like actually creating a familiar is way beyond a starting character (Matter 4, Prime 3, Spirit 4)...
Edit: Apparantly I missed a line about that cost being for gaining it during play, the background lets you start with it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:58:31 PM by littha »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 09:00:25 PM »
If the other guys are still into it, I'm all in. Mage: the Ascension is probably my favorite game and I miss it too much!

When is the game starting? And are you opposed to a Void + Entropy focused master manipulator?

Void?

Sorry, prime, not void. Too many years without playing...