Author Topic: Arena/Survival campaign (3.5, Recruiting)  (Read 31303 times)

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
Arena/Survival campaign (3.5, Recruiting)
« on: May 11, 2012, 09:04:27 PM »
(click to show/hide)

The backstory and such:

You are all heroes. Or villains. Or paragon's of neutrality. At any rate, you have accumulated a small amount of fame, and money. And this was to be your undoing. You see, when a Wizard knows he has ultimate cosmic power, he likes to flaunt it. Do strange things that make no sense to anyone but himself, and that sort of thing. Well, this Wizard is an avvowed social darwinist. He likes to watch things struggle, murder, and die, to try to divine the nature of true power (beyond himself, of course). And who better to pit against each other than fledgling adventures, without their precious "gear" and "Party members"? You have all been captured, stripped of your belongings, and imprisoned on a remote island. The nature of this island will be determined randomly( Climate, terrain, etc). It has been made very clear to you that the last man/woman/robot standing  will be the only one to leave this place alive. The "game" ends when all other players are dead, by any means neccesary. Killed by the enviroment, a trap, another player, none of that matters, dead is dead.

Mechanics of note:

-Tier three/four characters only, I mean it. He wants a good fight, not a rockettag curbstomp. Full casters and manifesters Lower than tier 2 is fine. Like Shadowcaster, Beguiler, etc

-This game is a solo game, so all moves and such are delivered Via PM. Important things, like deaths and "Fun enhancers" are announed to all players at Dusk of a given day. This information is broadcast directly into your skull via a forced mind link. it will not be used to attack the players, directly or indirectly. Players may ally at their option (and risk), as all you know about the other characters is thier physical description and any details they share. Knowledge skills may reveal more about them.

-Skills have been altered.
(click to show/hide)
Skills are important here, particularly when you exist at the whim of a powerful and evil wizard who enjoys Anti-Magic. Anyone may search for traps, and the DC is halved.

-Feats have been altered
(click to show/hide)

-Items have been altered
(click to show/hide)
You spawn with a ten gold or less outfit of your choice. Creative outfit choice, as well as a creative use of that outfit is encouraged.
Improvised weapon non proficency penalties have been removed, and an improvised version of any weapon can be crafted if you have the materials at hand, and the time to make it. Same goes for armor. Inferior materials can be substituted, but it weakens the weapon.
Acting like Macgyver is highly encouraged. The favour of the wizard is precious indeed.
The Wizard looks favourably upon direct action and creativity. There is a base chance that any given character recives a "gift" each day, modified by how you act. Agression and creativity dispose him well towards you, while passivity and waiting angers him. "Gifts" are teleported to your postion, and make a noise that can be detected with a DC 20 listen check by anything nearby. It will contain valuable, personalized loot.
The Island is trapped. It is stocked with monsters, as well as heavily rigged with clever mechanical traps. Do with them as you wish.
-Classes have been altered
(click to show/hide)
Char-op is highly recomended. The island is big, and finding someone who runs could be difficult. Therefore kill them before they can run.

Start of Match: All of the players are standing on solid stone podiums arranged in a circle. Each podium is 40 feet away from each other, forming a large circle around the center. Each is nine feet tall. Once the match starts, the wall of force surrounding each podium persists for one minute, then drops, as an Anti-Magic field is deployed. This is to give you time to see each other contestant, and to prevent a massive crossfire. This Anti-Magic field covers this central area thereafter. In the middle, 40 feet from each podium,  is a giant pile of phat lewt, the combined WBL of all contestants in the game. It is not trapped. Other loot may be found on the island, but this is the greatest concentration of it. Players may act as they wish: You are under no compulsions whatsoever. The island itself is large, and there is much space to hide in, should you choose to do so. Keep in mind the wizard enjoys action, so he may "spice things up" if you act too passively for him. Consider him the Valve AI director: He enjoys watching you squirm. This game is designed to be fast pased, so updates should occur every two days at the latest.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:44:19 PM by Wrex »

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
Re: Arena/Survival campaign (3.5, Recruiting)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »
Reserved

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:05:53 PM »
And that should be good. Post Away! When you do your char sheet, send it to me via PM.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:23:44 PM »
This is really interesting.  How many chars per player?  I have three ideas...  :smirk

Homebrew for you to vet (I'm not sure what tier you'd put these at):
Nullblade
Warpsoul
Hylian Warrior
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:25:42 PM »
This is really interesting.  How many chars per player?  I have three ideas...  :smirk

Homebrew for you to vet (I'm not sure what tier you'd put these at):
Nullblade
Warpsoul
Hylian Warrior

One char per player, since this game relies on the sense of isolation, and the relative "Unknown". Giving someone more charcters would give them more meta knowledge then they are meant to have. That said, reading now.

Edit: Warpsoul and Hylian Warrior are perfectly fine. Nullblade....I don't like. Not sure why, precisely. Direct counters seem a bit unfun for the oher players, and i'll need to read it closer before I decide either way.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:41:18 PM by Wrex »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »
No problem.  You're right, which is why it would work so well in the arena ;)

So, warpsoul or HW, huh?  Hmm.... I think they'd both do awesome, but I'm playing a HW in osle's Nintendo World game, so I think I'll go Warpsoul.

Next question: how do you feel about Soulfused Transcendant? I may have other incarnum homebrew prcs for you to look at if you don't like that one.

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:01:47 PM »
No problem.  You're right, which is why it would work so well in the arena ;)

So, warpsoul or HW, huh?  Hmm.... I think they'd both do awesome, but I'm playing a HW in osle's Nintendo World game, so I think I'll go Warpsoul.

Next question: how do you feel about Soulfused Transcendant? I may have other incarnum homebrew prcs for you to look at if you don't like that one.

I'm not sure how you are meeting the entry requirments at sixth level, but I have no issues with the class. Though, of course, you do gain XP for succesful player kills.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
Oh yeah, I know.  I just would like to aim for it.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 10:16:40 PM »
Definitely interested, tentatively in a Crusader.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline LordBlades

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 02:22:48 AM »
Interested as well.

Most likely PsiWar. Also, how would you rate Chameleon tier-wise?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
Reminds me of another arena-combat game I was in that never made it past the first encounter, though that one was more gladiator-style.

Still, I bet the character would work equally as well in this game, though its self-reliance would mean most gifts or items would have to be highly specific.

Build includes healthy amounts of Totemist, a hint of lion totem Barbarian, a few shakes of Bear Warrior, and a dash of either Warshaper or Totem Rager. Possibly both, though I can't remember the exact build. Probably have it lying around somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:59:14 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »
Hey Wrex -- flaws/traits?

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
I'm also interested. I'll make something psionic. Not sure what for now though.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »
Next question: if you have an effect which gives a bonus to a skill which has been combined with others (say for example a bonus to Climb), do you gain the bonus to the entire combined skill, or just to uses of the combined skill which duplicate the original skill?  Like, if I had a +2 racial bonus to Climb, would that become a +2 racial to all Athletics checks, or just to Athletics checks made to climb things?

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »
Maybe in with a (unarmed?)swordsage.
Could I multiclass into spellblade duelist, and use unarmed strike as my spellblade?

I take it vow of poverty isn't allowed, seeing as we get no equipment anyway?

What sort of action is it to grab something from the cornucopia? Does one need a dex or spot check to take a specific item?

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »
Maybe in with a (unarmed?)swordsage.
Could I multiclass into spellblade duelist, and use unarmed strike as my spellblade?

I take it vow of poverty isn't allowed, seeing as we get no equipment anyway?

What sort of action is it to grab something from the cornucopia? Does one need a dex or spot check to take a specific item?

It's a move action to grab "Something useful' - something good for you, but random. It takes a full round action to find something more specific, like a sword, with a stiff notice check required to find something even more specific, like "A +1 eager  consumptive sword". If you have two minutes, you can take twenty. No VoP, but having spellblade fists sounds fine. Of course, the "spell" part of that is still supressed in the starting AMF/NPF. Also, acually paying for an enhancement bonus is terrible, so i'll write in that all magic weapons and armor have the enhancement bonus equal to the sum of the bonuses granted by abilities (A vorpal sword would be plus five to hit and damage, and only cost as much as a +5 weapon, for example)

Hey Wrex -- flaws/traits?

2 of each. Char-op it up!

Next question: if you have an effect which gives a bonus to a skill which has been combined with others (say for example a bonus to Climb), do you gain the bonus to the entire combined skill, or just to uses of the combined skill which duplicate the original skill?  Like, if I had a +2 racial bonus to Climb, would that become a +2 racial to all Athletics checks, or just to Athletics checks made to climb things?
That is rather tricky, but i'll let it apply to the whole skill. Skills need the bonus anyway.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:11:41 PM by Wrex »

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »
•Any weapon labeled as 'finesseable' will allow you to use your Dexterity for attack and damage instead of your Strength if you so choose.
Weapon finesse becomes redundant with this. Can I take a different bonus feat from spellblade?

•Full attacks are a Standard action. You still need Pounce in order to benefit from charge based effects on a full attack.
How does this interact with blade waltz and similar abilities?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
Awesome.

Now I just have to figure out who to ask for a second opinion on my op-fu, since I can't post it here or on the main board...

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
•Any weapon labeled as 'finesseable' will allow you to use your Dexterity for attack and damage instead of your Strength if you so choose.
Weapon finesse becomes redundant with this. Can I take a different bonus feat from spellblade?

Sure
•Full attacks are a Standard action. You still need Pounce in order to benefit from charge based effects on a full attack.
How does this interact with blade waltz and similar abilities?

It still grants you full attacks when charging, so i'll let it count as pounce. sound good?

Awesome.

Now I just have to figure out who to ask for a second opinion on my op-fu, since I can't post it here or on the main board...

Yeah, but secrecy makes it more fun! Not knowing what you are up against is a big deal, and by isolating posters from each other by taking moves via PM, it creates an atmosphere of being hunted, of loneliness, and of possibly despair. I will be mapping the movements of players on a sheet of graph paper, and informing people of when they come into contact with each other, almost like a PBM game back in the eighties.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:07:54 PM by Wrex »

Offline LordBlades

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 02:06:26 AM »
One more question: are we expected to level up during this? Will any XP be granted during this campaign? Also, please see my Chameleon question above.