Author Topic: The Painisher - Concentration through Burning Pain  (Read 15867 times)

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
Re: The Painisher - Concentration through Burning Pain
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »
Edit: this is not a new damage record. Hulking Hurler has 3.879e271 d6+2265 damage at ECL 10 (CR 347)

Hmm, while that is an interesting approach, I doubt the vast majority of those templates can be legally applied. Lycanthrope that uses a non-animal? Vampire on something that already has a handful of undead templates? Multiple instances of Half-Dragon (it's a very modular template, but still only a single template)?

I'd be interested to see what a legally stacked Symbiotic/Tauric could do, but that example is so illegal I could write a thesis on it.  :P
The legality of it depends on how the stacking works, I think. I haven't looked at the whole template stack in depth.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
What's your cohort doing during these 30 minutes of self-flagellation? Could he/she/it/xu be provoking some AoOs from you so you can deal a bit more damage or something?

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 01:28:44 PM »
Sadly, the Masochism bonus only applies to attack rolls, skills and saves. Greater Insightful Strike turns the skill bonus back into damage, but there's no way I know of to use a strike maneuver as an AoO.

Actually, what would happen if the character and cohort fused? I could forego the Hierophant level, allowing for 9th level spells on the Cohort (go go Dweomerkeeper Supernatural Miracle!)
The question becomes...would that grant two more pools of Turn Undead or would that not count as the character has pools from those classes already?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:38:01 PM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
I was just thinking of getting an extra +1/+2 to the skill check. Your normal attack, even a single one, still does 1d10+1 without stances or anything, right? Plus you've got Blood in the Water, which should be racking up an impressive bonus by the end, if only on the pure number of attacks with 19-20 threat range and rerolls from Choose Destiny.

By the way, what's Benediction?

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »
By the way, what's Benediction?

A spell from Complete Champion. It's primary purpose is to be expended as a free action to provide a reroll in the event of a natural 1. Mainly for the Avalanche of Blades...1 reroll when both dice roll 1 would average 400 more Avalanches, so the cohort's spare spell slots have been used for that. And even though you can only benefit from one Benediction at a time, if you have several on you and you expend one, the next one becomes active. :)

The only downside...it has to be cast on another character. But other than that it is a very abusable spell in certain situations.
Hmm.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 05:03:20 PM »
Edit: this is not a new damage record. Hulking Hurler has 3.879e271 d6+2265 damage at ECL 10 (CR 347)
That doesn't impress me much. If 'limitless' HD/CR is allowed what's preventing overuse of the '^' symbol on a common to obtain a larger strength bonus than the said build can do with a rock?

The Painisher isn't epic, or throws out high numbers three hundred and twenty seven levels sooner. The gap is incomparable. Like pitting a 20th level Wizard vs a CR 1/2 blind and deaf animal is several hundred times more reasonable than you're attempt at a comparison.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 05:19:46 PM »
That doesn't impress me much. If 'limitless' HD/CR is allowed what's preventing overuse of the '^' symbol on a common to obtain a larger strength bonus than the said build can do with a rock?

The Painisher isn't epic, or throws out high numbers three hundred and twenty seven levels sooner. The gap is incomparable. Like pitting a 20th level Wizard vs a CR 1/2 blind and deaf animal is several hundred times more reasonable than you're attempt at a comparison.
That hulking hurler is a equivalent to a level 10 character, due to gratuitous stacking of templates, with the symbiotic and tauric templates to reduce the LA to much, much, much less.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 05:26:14 PM »
Guys, I think you're missing the point.  This guy can JUMP THROUGH TIME.  Literally.  Well, only if you apply real-world physics to it, and only partially.  But still, jumping from one end of the universe (unobservable even...and see the unobservable universe?) in a swift action?

ON the argument: both do different things.  HH: is that 3.879x10^271?  Or is that some notation I'm not familiar with?
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »
ON the argument: both do different things.  HH: is that 3.879x10^271?  Or is that some notation I'm not familiar with?
Yes, it's a way for calculators (and some programs) to write x10^N

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »
Ah, yeah, I always use traditional form.  I remember that, back when I still used those things.  Now mine display 10^ instead.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »
Needs 10^^reallybignumber.  I've no idea what a ^ with an extra ^ does.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868594/World_Record_Damage:_Multiple_dirty_tricks_for_insane_synergy!?post_id=338279018#338279018
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth%27s_up-arrow_notation
Example: 4^^4 would be (4^4)^4)^4)^4)

Oh carp.  More super maths I gotta learn.  ;)

Couldn't the short build Hulking Hurler be combined with most of the elements of this build ...  :???
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »
Forget Jump checks; how about Disable Device checks?

The entire universe has an estimated 10^85 moving parts (assuming the existance of particles no smaller than those on the standard model). Any DM would agree that with that bonus on the check, you have the means to "disable it." The entire universe could be destroyed at this character's whim! So get a Plane Shift spell ready, destroy the universe, leave, and get XP for every living thing you just killed. Congrats, you are now level infinity.

You could also know everything, convince anyone of anything, and make everyone you meet a fanatic. If you can get an insanely high skill check, the world is yours to command.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:44:09 PM by TheGeometer »

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 03:02:15 PM »
NOt sure if it works like that, but YES.  That's requiring an interpretation of the universe as a device.  Otherwise it'll take that many ACTIONS to disable every device.  Then it also requires the interpretation of particles as devices, which I think is a bit of a stretch, even for TO.

Although, you may have just shown that Pun-Pun has infinite HD.  Possibly.  It depends on the interpretation, but it might be possible, since there's an infinite number of creatures in a few planes.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »
You could also weave the BEST POSSIBLE BASKET.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Bastian

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is playing a Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 03:34:56 PM »

The entire universe has an estimated 10^85 moving parts (assuming the existance of particles no smaller than those on the standard model). Any DM would agree that with that bonus on the check, you have the means to "disable it." The entire universe could be destroyed at this character's whim! So get a Plane Shift spell ready, destroy the universe, leave, and get XP for every living thing you just killed. Congrats, you are now level infinity.

You could also know everything, convince anyone of anything, and make everyone you meet a fanatic. If you can get an insanely high skill check, the world is yours to command.
This trick doesn't work by RAW for two reasons.

Reason one is that you have to redefine something for this trick to work since you have to redefine a universe/a plane as a device (which it doesn't meet even the broadest definitions of since a device must be a thing and a universe/a plane is not a thing).

Reason two is that you are using DM Fiat to pull it off (specifically "Any DM would agree that with that bonus on the check, you have the means to 'disable it.'" has absolutely no RAW backing).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:39:54 PM by Bastian »

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 07:32:02 PM »

This trick doesn't work by RAW for two reasons.

Reason one is that you have to redefine something for this trick to work since you have to redefine a universe/a plane as a device (which it doesn't meet even the broadest definitions of since a device must be a thing and a universe/a plane is not a thing).

Reason two is that you are using DM Fiat to pull it off (specifically "Any DM would agree that with that bonus on the check, you have the means to 'disable it.'" has absolutely no RAW backing).

You people take everything too serious. All I meant was that if you take the universe to be a device (because it functions based on the actions and reactions of several moving parts), you could disable it in my opinion. Like all Disable Device checks not specifically mentioned, the check is arbitrarily based on the device's complexity. It was a joke, not a serious recommendation.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2012, 08:06:55 PM »
Minor point in the disabling the universe thing: even if it did work, you would not be level infinity. Given that you're assuming a finite amount of particles, there's a finite amount of challenges. If you do assume an infinite amount of challenges and thus particles, your finite (though fairly large) skill check is not good enough to disable it.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »
Minor point in the disabling the universe thing: even if it did work, you would not be level infinity. Given that you're assuming a finite amount of particles, there's a finite amount of challenges. If you do assume an infinite amount of challenges and thus particles, your finite (though fairly large) skill check is not good enough to disable it.

Actually, that's a really good point. Still, given that you would have gotten XP from every being on that plane, I would be surprised if you didn't gain at least a few dozen levels.

But back to (semi-) serious ideas. What about Profession? With a 9.3x10^117 on a profession check, you would gain 9.2x10^113 gp or 923 quintillion trigintillion gp for a single minute of work (if you're not allowed to divide up your weekly earnings from a Profession check, this will take longer). Assuming that a gp is the equivalent of at least a cent, this is still more than the value of the entire earth. So grab a single rank in flower arranging and buy the world.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:15:14 PM by TheGeometer »

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
What about Craft? Build a Star Destroyer in 1 second.
Hmm.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 07:47:49 PM »
What about Craft? Build a Star Destroyer in 1 second.

You'll need 1/3 of the cost in raw materials first. Start with a Profession check, and then start crafting.