Author Topic: [3.P] Are there any Feats that grant you the ability to block an attack  (Read 1777 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
that was not aimed at you? (i.e. for an adjacent ally)

3.5 &/or Pathfinder

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
`Martial Study (Shield Block) can do it to an extent.  Not a guaranteed block, but it's what you attempt to do.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Scouring sooooooo many feat sources in both 3.5 & PF I found, from the Pathfinder side first, the feats Bodyguard and a 2nd feat in it's tree called In Harm's Way that, together, lets you burn AoOs to take hits for adjacent allies. At least for my purposes this worked as the end goal of this thread's question was in regards to using the Deflect Arrows->Infinite Deflection->Exceptional Deflection->Reflect Arrows feats to block any and all ranged attacks, magical or not, should they be targeting allies instead of me and send the attacks back at the foes :p
Without comboing it off of those feats though, those PF feats do have the downside of the attack you are jumping infront of autohitting you IF it already succeeded in hitting your ally *shrugs*

On the 3.5 side I found Extend Defense from Dragon 339 which grants an adjacent ally a +2 cover bonus to AC and all attacks against that ally have a 50% chance to hit you instead. Unlike PF's Bodyguard->In Harm's Way chain, Extend Defense still requires the enemy to hit you AC even if it fails the 50% chance to hit your ally so that's a nifty plus.

Not counting taking Martial Study or PF's equivalent for Maneuvers that accomplish this stuff, these feats seem to be the only ones that reliably accomplish this task in all of 3.5 & PF (Because 1/combat maneuvers are very unreliable ;) )

In case anyone else ever has the idea to go this route in a future tank build /thumbsup

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
Well, another possibility is Mounted Combat with a stupidly high Ride check.  Go Halfling for this and ride your human friend into battle.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
Dutiful Guardian does it as a immediate action, as is not an auto hit. Requires Constant Guardian though.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+