Author Topic: Introduction/General discussion  (Read 3812 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Introduction/General discussion
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »
At the request of DavidWL, in this subforum you can post builds based on monster classes.

Any doubts ask them here as well.

If this turns out popular enough, I'll also make an index of people's builds.

Hmm, maybe I'll add some of my own for the more iconic monsters.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction/General discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:53:02 PM »
Does this include gestalt monstrosities?

Otherwise I'll see about writing up the displaced swarming hell jellies. Because they were amusing.

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »
I'm thinking about using the Dire Tortoise and some levels in Tarrasque to create the ultimate meat shield. Not sure if it'll work though, I could skip Carapace, but the Touch AC is pathetic. Primal Roar brings fliers down the the Tortasque's level and into range of Cowabunga.

I actually wondered how the monster classes would look on a Tier system.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:24:34 PM »
I expect a lot of Tier 3 and Tier 4, with a few Tier 2s thrown in the mix. Some of the nastier spellcasting monsters and some with powerful and versatile SLAs might make it to Tier 1. The power baseline is too high for any Tier 6s, maybe a couple of Tier 5s at the absolute bottom end.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:53:43 AM »
I expect a lot of Tier 3 and Tier 4, with a few Tier 2s thrown in the mix. Some of the nastier spellcasting monsters and some with powerful and versatile SLAs might make it to Tier 1. The power baseline is too high for any Tier 6s, maybe a couple of Tier 5s at the absolute bottom end.

I agree.  However, with psuedocasting, there are many that are tier 3/4 which could easily jump to tier 1.

Best,
David

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 09:00:45 AM »
Does this include gestalt monstrosities?

Otherwise I'll see about writing up the displaced swarming hell jellies. Because they were amusing.

Alternate rules are fine as long as you point out you're using them on a specific build.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »
I'm trying to work out what would fill the last three levels of Bandersnatch 17.

... I do know that I'd probably give it Vow of Poverty, because a spiky fae porcupine that shoots its quills is not the greatest thing ever to bedeck in magical items.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »
I'd go with Hoard over VoP. It lets you benefit from magic items without wearing them and it makes more sense fluff wise for a spiky monster thing than a sacred vow to forsake material wealth.

As for filler levels, my first impulse is often Monster of Legend 2(gifted for war), Martial Adept X.

Paragon or Titanic would also work well.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »
I think Hoard makes less sense for a crazy fae stalker/hunter thing. :lmao

Is there really that many maneuver options good for the Bandersnatch? :O

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
A hunter/stalker thing can't collect trophies? And in what way does swearing off material possessions make sense for something that probably never had material possessions in the first place?

There are over NINE THOUSAND! one hundred homebrew disciplines. I'm certain there are several that work for a spiky, pouncy, clawy thing.

Even from the published disciplines, there's a few maneuvers that are well worth having. Bandersnatches have a low will save, so Moment of Perfect Mind is worth picking up. Iron Heart Turnoffthesun is good for anyone, as is White Raven Extraactions (if difficult to justify fluffwise.) I haven't really explored higher level options but you have access to 9th level maneuvers.

EDIT: An alternative to the MoL path could be the Chaos classes. They'd need a little refluffing and some stuff (like power armor) wouldn't make sense, but a level each of cultist, warrior, and champion would get you a variety of pretty scary abilities.

ANOTHER EDIT: Having looked through the compendium, Bhu's Kitteh discipline would fit pretty well for a bandersnatch. Infernal Monster fits for a Frumious. Star Dream is fey based.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:11:39 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »