Author Topic: [Pathfinder 1ed.] Rappan Athuk Wizard advice  (Read 1979 times)

Offline 4BR4

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
[Pathfinder 1ed.] Rappan Athuk Wizard advice
« on: December 04, 2019, 04:56:03 PM »
Hi All,

I’ll join soon a Rappan Athuk game.

We’ll start at level 1 and party will be of 6 characters.

As 1st character I decided to do play an elf Diviner Foresight Wizard, opposition schools Ench/Necro, abilities 7/18/12/20/11/7. DM Ban: Exploiter Wizard, Sacred Geometry, Blood Money.

Could you present to me any interesting and valid build, given the deadly adventure we are going to face?

Thank you.

4BR4
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 04:57:51 PM by 4BR4 »

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
Re: [Pathfinder 1ed.] Rappan Athuk Wizard advice
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »
This kind of thread is what the Min/Max 3.X subforum is for, to be honest. As for giving you recommendations, there's not a whole lot to work off of when you already selected Elf race Diviner Foresight Wizard. I probably wouldn't ban Necro if I were you but you can use an Opposition Research discovery to get it back at 100%. For feats I can point out that Nature Soul -> Animal Ally -> Boon Companion will give you a full AC on top of your regular Wizard spell selection, which you can then enhance with the animal companion's Share Spells feature to polymorph it into some monstrosity. Best part is being able to get new animal companions on 24 hour basis. If you had 13 charisma you could've used Exotic Heritage -> Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan) to gain access to the full animal companion list, but at a larger level penalty.

If you want a cheesy Wizard I'd sooner recommend going Spell Sage Wizard. Spell Sage Wizard is the best for caster level cheese, scribing scrolls, and going full-on necromancer by poaching Cleric list for Desecrate and earlier reanimation spells (which you then cast at a higher caster level for more and better undead). Summoning legions of undead is still horribly overpowered, unsurprisingly. Yuelral's Blessing discovery will also give you some free CL and DC boosting while letting you pay for all expensive spell components in gems.

As an Elf, I'd replace Weapon Familiarity with either Aquatic Mastery (+1 DC to water-descriptor spells) or Fey Thoughts (get Perception and UMD as class skills). Then use Clever Wordplay social trait or Pragmatic Activator magic trait to get UMD as an int-based skill, use Reactionary combat trait to get +2 to initiative, and use a Drawback like Anxious or Meticulous to get a third trait of Lessons of Chaldira religion trait (1/day, reroll failed save), Deathtouched race trait (+2 trait bonus vs mind-affecting saves), or Defensive Strategist religion trait (You are not flat-footed before you can act in combat, not even in surprise rounds). If you want to go item crafting the Hedge Wizard magic trait reduces costs by 5%.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 08:19:11 AM by Power »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 03:25:09 PM »
This kind of thread is what the Min/Max 3.X subforum is for, to be honest.

Scooted

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 06:36:49 AM »
For giant dungeon crawls False Focus is a great feat that replaces all minor material components with a focus item.

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 01:30:15 PM »
The pact wizard archetype from Haunted Heroes Handbook is great. It gives you a ton of versatility and eventually gives massive bonuses to most of the rolls you care about in combat.

If you want to consider a PrC instead, the stargazer is all upside for a wizard. It has easy prereqs, advances your familiar, gives you two hexes, a decent domain, and a pair of revelations. You also get 5 useful abilities from a list that includes things like +2 init and preventing you from being flat-footed before you  first act.

Another nice alternate racial feature for an elf is Moonkissed, for +1 to all saves.

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 03:25:59 PM »
I would recommend just prestiging into Pathfinder Savant and using the Prestigious Spellcaster feat to cover the loss in caster levels. Magaambyan Arcanist is not bad either, especially at higher levels where you can spontaneously cast spells with Spell Mastery and you add a bunch of good Druid spells to your list, which in turn benefit from Yuelral's Blessing discovery to be cast at +1 CL and +1 DC. At Magaambyan Arcanist 9 you get all Good Domain spells too, which lets your Spell Sage Wizard 6 / Magaambyan Arcanist 9 proceed to Holy Word enemies into the ground by casting Holy Word at +4 caster levels. 1 or more levels of Cyphermage is not a bad idea either if you like using Spell Sage to create scrolls of whatever that you will UMD later. Prestiging into Bloatmage lets your wizard cast spells more times per day and the capstone flexibly gives you any bloodline you want on demand, with a Brew Potion feat and a Summon Monster spell, that is.

Spellslinger Wizard archetype shouldn't be underestimated either. With a +5 gun it gives all your spells cast through it a +5 DC bonus. If you combine that with a Persistent Spell metamagic they are sure to fail and the odds of rolling a nat 20 will become 1/400 which keeps your gun safe (although you can just use Make Whole if it breaks). You can also abuse Dazing Spell metamagic to daze just about anything in the game to death without issues. Virtually nothing is immune to daze, so you end up picking spells that do damage multiple times, have no spell resistance, and/or target the saving throw your opponents are weakest at and render your enemies utterly useless with it.