Author Topic: Poke-Center (OOC Discussion)  (Read 214844 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Pre-Campaign Discussion
« Reply #520 on: October 16, 2012, 03:42:03 PM »
Sneaky_Sable:Hmm, Rabbit can't really see anything new from AG 30, since Pha is at AG-33. Also you activated some kind of special sense? I'm still not that familiarized with the pirate trooper abilities.

...By the powers invested in me by DMhood, I declare that monstrous humanoids now count as pokemons in this campaign.

You sure about this?  Also, remember that to count as a pokemon the creature has to be able to advance by racial HD. 

If this doesn't work out I'm okay with it being hand waived that Jeremy caught a spider instead of a wolvos.  In the end it's up to you.
Urgh, the advancing by racial HD now really screws up my plans. Because I intend to throw my monster classes as enemies here and there. Actually those spiders were made with them. So here's the solutions I see, pick one:

1-If you catch a monster that was made with improved monster levels, then you can keep taking more levels of that monster to "advance" it and then monster prcs of the same project it qualifies for.

2-If you catch a monster that was made with monster class levels, it "changes" back into the respective base monster, advance normally from there.

3-You're stuck waiting until I decide to use anything that qualifies as pokemon by the racial HD advancment condition. I don't think you would want to pick this option tough.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 16, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Sneaky_Sable:Hmm, Rabbit can't really see anything new from AG 30, since Pha is at AG-33. Also you activated some kind of special sense? I'm still not that familiarized with the pirate trooper abilities.

...By the powers invested in me by DMhood, I declare that monstrous humanoids now count as pokemons in this campaign.

You sure about this?  Also, remember that to count as a pokemon the creature has to be able to advance by racial HD. 

If this doesn't work out I'm okay with it being hand waived that Jeremy caught a spider instead of a wolvos.  In the end it's up to you.
Urgh, the advancing by racial HD now really screws up my plans. Because I intend to throw my monster classes as enemies here and there. Actually those spiders were made with them. So here's the solutions I see, pick one:

1-If you catch a monster that was made with improved monster levels, then you can keep taking more levels of that monster to "advance" it and then monster prcs of the same project it qualifies for.

2-If you catch a monster that was made with monster class levels, it "changes" back into the respective base monster, advance normally from there.

3-You're stuck waiting until I decide to use anything that qualifies as pokemon by the racial HD advancment condition. I don't think you would want to pick this option tough.

I'm quite happy with 1.  "Monster Classes" totally count as "Racial HD" for RAI in my opinion.  Especially since the monster prcs are templates.  Just remember that is going to make creatures like Aasimar and Hobgoblins and whatnot count as pokemon for me.  That could result in a big power jump, but I'm not sure how big since I can't give them non-monster classes. 

...that makes me want to replace my pokemon for cool monster class creatures, even if they would be way lower HD....

Question: Can I retrain my pokemon levels?  For example, the Wolvos has one level of warblade.  I can't advance it through warblade levels.  Can I eventually (through the same process as gaining a HD for example) replace the warblade level with some other type of advancement I could normally grant it?

Another question: It looks like the Wolvos is using the regular fiendish template instead of your version.  How come?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 16, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »
I said the spiders were using my monster levels. I never said the wolvos was using them (still didn't tackle Feral after all). :p

It's the core fiendish template, plus the actual antropormhic wolf monster and feral template from Savage Species, not the antropormophic animal monster class. I still use basic monsters here and there.

Altough I guess it shouldn't be too hard to rebuild the wolvos into a monster class base if you would rather have it than the spider.

And yes, there should be no problem with retraining class levels the monsters may have for "racial" levels, but once done you can't go back with the decision.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 16, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »
I'm fine with the spider, in fact I'm fine with either.  I just didn't realize the Wolvos was made using normal monster rules instead of your classes.

How do we (you) decide on the CR of a creature made using your monster classes?

What's the likelihood of Jeremy being able to evolve his pokemon into monsters built out of your monster classes (thematically appropriate and after consultation with you) eventually, after he's been exposed to more of the local fauna?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 16, 2012, 06:57:49 PM »
Well I think it's only fair you get what you caught.

Wolvos (monster-class version)
(click to show/hide)

There's also a pretty good chance you'll run in more spiders while in the forest tough. :p

CR is easy. Is the same as the number of levels. It was one of the very first premises of the project after all, to make sure a monster of CR X has X levels/HD.

Evolving your pokemon into monster classes, hmm, it should be ok as long as it is thematically appropriate and some consultation as you put it. Who knows, you may even find something that will "help" your pokemon to change. ;)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: October 16, 2012, 07:45:12 PM »
Your monster classes are waaaaay cooler than the pokemon in the wiki.  I'd actually be quite happy with all monster class pokemon.  There are enough monster classes after all.   :)

Monster class Wolvos looks good.  I don't have time to add him to my character sheet but I should get that taken care of tonight.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 16, 2012, 11:52:41 PM »
Oslecamo, how many hp does the Wolvos have per hd (I already increased its Strength and Con from Augment summoning but you never listed a base hp)?  What skill(s) did it pick for Animal Skill? 

What happens if I make the fiendish Wolvos a neutral good creature?

Also, I edited my sheets to show all calculations and found some mistakes in the official pokemon entries so I adjusted a couple of things (like lowering Bulbasaur's skill points and adding a couple of points to saves in a few places.  Also ponyta's jump went up by three).

I've also corrected some calculations with your Wolvo's sheet.   :p

Second to last: Let me know when you're ready to talk about my pokemon evolving into your monster classes, I already have some ideas.

Something things that might make you reconsider the monstrous humanoid = pokemon.  I have a permanent tongues effect when it comes to speaking with pokemon.  Not game breaking but something you should be aware of.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 17, 2012, 02:59:15 PM »
Something things that might make you reconsider the monstrous humanoid = pokemon.  I have a permanent tongues effect when it comes to speaking with pokemon.  Not game breaking but something you should be aware of.

Ok, you've convinced me, you caught a spider after all. Not game breaking indeed, but I would rather have you work to understand the communications of exotic tribes you may find along the way.  :p

(click to show/hide)

Updated map to come shortly.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #528 on: October 17, 2012, 05:29:40 PM »

It's a learning process for myself as well, and I may overdeclare it, but that's more so that it's been declared, rather then "Well, no one said anything."

All of the Modules are located Here for reference.

The ones that Rabbit has currently installed at this moment are the Rezbit control module, the X-Ray Scope, and the Dark Visor.

Rezbit, no biggie. Summon a wee little construct and have it do the dirty work.

X-Ray Scope: Having it equipped grants bonuses to Disable Device and Search. With it on the key hardpoint, I gain Trapfinding and can see through materials as a Ring of X-Ray Vision (Complete with 10 Minute / Day limitation).

Dark Visor: Gain Darkvision. Due to Key hardpoint synergy, Rabbit can also see perfectly in any form of darkness, including magical darkness. He also cannot be blinded.

I make a point of declaring what modules I have installed and on what hardpoints they are occupying. If you need further clarification don't hesitate to ask. I would have gotten back to you sooner on this, but the conversation got buried under the pokemon discussion. No one's fault.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 17, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »
The spider's attack should be +9, not +8 (4 Str, 4 BAB, 1 Weapon Focus), and it's natural armor should be +3 instead of +4 (2 Con, 1 size increase).  If I'm wrong, let me know.  I also set his alignment as Neutral, let me know if that is wrong.

He's been added to my pokemon list.

I'll stop talking about pokemon now.   :blush

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 18, 2012, 02:52:49 AM »
The spider's attack should be +9, not +8 (4 Str, 4 BAB, 1 Weapon Focus), and it's natural armor should be +3 instead of +4 (2 Con, 1 size increase).  If I'm wrong, let me know.  I also set his alignment as Neutral, let me know if that is wrong.
You're right about the nat armor, but you forgot the size penalty on attack rolls.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 18, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »
You're right about the nat armor, but you forgot the size penalty on attack rolls.

That's why I said if I'm wrong let me know.   :)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 25, 2012, 05:39:58 PM »
Stuff
(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 06, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »
Well if you're still playing good guys, won't just murder the guards and instead explore the surrounding area, let me see some search/spot checks people! :p

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #534 on: November 06, 2012, 05:08:20 PM »
Well if you're still playing good guys, won't just murder the guards and instead explore the surrounding area, let me see some search/spot checks people! :p

Good and Evil are subjective terms. Besides, they're all alone out here in the creepy woods. No one will find the bodies for DAYS, and we can easily make it look like wild animals did it and...

SEARCH: Bolstered by X-Ray Scope module
Take 10: 10 + 10 = 20

SPOT:
Rolled 1d20+0 : 13, total 13
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 06, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »
Here you go, a spot of 17!

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 06, 2012, 08:27:53 PM »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 06, 2012, 09:17:33 PM »
Good and Evil are subjective terms. Besides, they're all alone out here in the creepy woods. No one will find the bodies for DAYS, and we can easily make it look like wild animals did it and...
Nonsense. It doesn't have to have anything to do with Good V. Evil. If we take it that: the commander should have given us a writ, but didn't; these guards should be respectful of the wishes and free will of those responsible enough to put themselves in danger. Since the above points are not the case, their authority is false, and we are full well within our rights to enforce our freedoms by knocking them out (subdual damage people) in order to do as we wish, free of their oppression.
This is not Evil (so long as we don't allow / cause them to come to further harm as a result), rather it is being Chaotic.

Tipping on the Moral axis can always be problematic. Tipping on the Ethic axis and people tend to have a harder time hating you.

Spot: 22, Search: 15
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 08, 2012, 02:52:16 AM »
Kong likes to punch things. He has a sort of zen simplicity.

Spot: 18

Search: Natural 1, bitches!
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 08, 2012, 09:47:18 AM »
Kong likes to punch things. He has a sort of zen simplicity.

Spot: 18

Search: Natural 1, bitches!

Well, yes, and if I tried to explain what I had stated to Kurt, he wouldn't even understand most of the words, much less the thesis.
Kurt is genuinely clueless, which is zen simplicity.

Also, Nat 1's only affect attacks and saves, so you still get to apply whatever your modifiers are to that search.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome