Author Topic: StP Erudite, Psionics are (Ps), (Ps) are (Sp), and spellcasting prestige classes  (Read 7463 times)

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
(a sorcerer, as I detest the vancian system and the sorcerer class barely makes it playable for me)
Spell Points?
(through I'd increase the sorcerer's points up to a psion's)

I'd rather not deal with verbals, somatics, and materials either... just irritates me to no end.

Plus, I'm a psionics phreak, so I prefer my augments and psi-flavor overall. Even when I play an StP Erudite, I pay the extra power points rather than use anything spell related (ie: components).

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Plus, I'm a psionics phreak, so I prefer my augments and psi-flavor overall.
Really, I consider Vitalizing Spell Points to be closer to most fictional Sword & Sorcerery systems you've read in books and you can RP those Verbal/Somatic Components. Like Lelouch has a Somatic Component of having to remove his contacts to use his Geass otherwise he'd issue all kinds of useless orders rendering people immune to later applications makes him more of a one-trick Wizard than a Psion.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
Really, I consider Vitalizing Spell Points to be closer to most fictional Sword & Sorcerery systems you've read in books and you can RP those Verbal/Somatic Components. Like Lelouch has a Somatic Component of having to remove his contacts to use his Geass otherwise he'd issue all kinds of useless orders rendering people immune to later applications makes him more of a one-trick Wizard than a Psion.
To be fair, his contacts weren't a part of it to begin with.  He couldn't give accidental orders.

Well, until he accidentally ordered his half-sister to commit genocide...
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Really, I consider Vitalizing Spell Points to be closer to most fictional Sword & Sorcerery systems you've read in books and you can RP those Verbal/Somatic Components.

That is an excellent point indeed, no dispute there.

However, I'm a traditionalist ;D with D&D, so my fantasy has always included hard sci-fi :cool. As such, I've always preferred psionics over magic, and typically consider magic, if it even exists in any form at all, to be the red-headed step child of psionics.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:55:11 PM by nijineko »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
 :o Blasphemy!
Everyone knows psionic powers are just red-headed step children of smart people powers, and it's all just a conspiracy by the government to cover up the existent of midichlorian injections for the ultra rich back when the Dwarves crash landed in Roswell.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Everyone knows...

It's all part of the conspiracy that you are being controlled by, citizen. You don't have clearance to know about psionics. Are you happy, citizen? Wait, did you say psionics? I'd better report you to central computer, just to be safe.

... back when the Dwarves crash landed in Roswell.

Dragonstar, much?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 04:33:00 PM by nijineko »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
More of a Spelljammer thing but since Dragonstar was based off it.
Eer I mean, what's Dragonstar? I've never been to Qesemet. 0:)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 04:39:39 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
CapQ posted about the Psi-Spell feats here :  http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=18156.0.  When that DMag got published, there would be no Chameleon Crafting for 36 issues.  I think they intended for Psi+Spell things to go into some sort of magic/psi item, but the ChamCraft nixes whatever Q or A would happen (or should have).  It does clearly say Metamagic and Metapsi and PsiSpell feats are similar but distinct.  Door #3 so to speak.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:29:36 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.