Author Topic: An Offer: Custom Base Classes  (Read 24629 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: An Offer: Custom Base Classes
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »
Quote from: LordotTrinkets
Request! Request!

Shadowcaster/Warlock fusion for infinite shadow spells.  If possible, add more spells that deal piercing/slashing damage so it can be played to the tune of Selim Bradley. :smallbiggrin:

Bonus points if you can figure out a way to effectively weaken his powers in the dark without making guaranteed death.

You get this one quickly because I liked the concept - Shadowcasters are one of the classes that have always appealed to me. Although upon reviewing them for this, I realized they have no class abilities whatsoever. WotC never really took the whole "no empty levels" thing to heart, did they?

Obsidian Adept - It's mostly a Warlock, but instead of invocations, it uses Mysteries. Also tweaked a few of the abilities to make them fit the shadow theme more appropriately.
(click to show/hide)

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »
Occult Blade:
Can you Smite and Arcane Channel at the same time? 
You may want to preemptively address the FAQ for Improved Arcane Channeling and explicitly state whether hitting the same target multiple times affects them with the spell multiple times. 
Arcane Boost and Arcane Rejuvenation:  is it supposed to be (1d8+1) x spell level or 1d8 + (1 x spell level)?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »
Occult Blade:
Can you Smite and Arcane Channel at the same time? 
You may want to preemptively address the FAQ for Improved Arcane Channeling and explicitly state whether hitting the same target multiple times affects them with the spell multiple times. 
Arcane Boost and Arcane Rejuvenation:  is it supposed to be (1d8+1) x spell level or 1d8 + (1 x spell level)?

Smite/Channel - Yes, you can. After all, the capstone is that all your channelling is smiting.
FAQ - Up to individual DMs. Personal reaction is that RAW is can't multishot, but that that's a little silly in a world of 7th level wizard spells. Never had someone play a Duskblade in my games though (too much homebrew :P)
Arcanes - (1d8+1) * level. The better way round, basically.

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2015, 07:22:40 PM »
Request:

Spellthief/Soul Knife

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »
Request:

Spellthief/Soul Knife

Just smashed the two of them together completely. I'm not even sure that raises the Spellthief a tier, TBH. Psychic Strike also triggers spell stealing, btw, in addition to Sneak Attack.

(click to show/hide)

Offline faeryn

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
A couple requests...

Paladin/Archivist - pretty much a paladin with a greater focus on spellcasting

Wizard/Archivist - obviously with limitations...

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »
A couple requests...

Looking at these two, I'm not sure how the first would come out too different to a cloistered cleric or regular cleric (already one of the strongest classes out there), and the second just being an Archivist with arcane spells, since the wizard has no class features to merge in.

Offline TravelLog

• Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2015, 02:37:22 PM »
Do you take Pathfinder requests? I'd be interested in an Alchemist/Path of War mix focused on trying to "perfect" and "evolve" the ideal martial art.
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »
Do you take Pathfinder requests? I'd be interested in an Alchemist/Path of War mix focused on trying to "perfect" and "evolve" the ideal martial art.

I do not. Never learned the system.

Offline faeryn

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2015, 12:54:10 AM »
A couple requests...

Looking at these two, I'm not sure how the first would come out too different to a cloistered cleric or regular cleric (already one of the strongest classes out there), and the second just being an Archivist with arcane spells, since the wizard has no class features to merge in.

I suppose I can see the arguement about the first being too similar to a cloistered cleric... however... the second one... Wizards do still have familiars (I know many consider the familiar to be a weak class feature), bonus feats (sure there may not be a lot of them), and if need be one or two of the wizard ACFs class features could be used... Honestly I don't necessarily see this merged class having to cast 9th level spells either...

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2015, 01:24:44 PM »
I suppose I can see the arguement about the first being too similar to a cloistered cleric... however... the second one... Wizards do still have familiars (I know many consider the familiar to be a weak class feature), bonus feats (sure there may not be a lot of them), and if need be one or two of the wizard ACFs class features could be used... Honestly I don't necessarily see this merged class having to cast 9th level spells either...

I'll see what I can do - I don't generally play with ACFs, so I don't know them that well. But I'm sure there's a few resources to give me ideas :)

Offline TravelLog

• Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2015, 07:32:47 PM »
Binder/Crusader could be interesting.
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline faeryn

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2016, 03:00:55 PM »
After looking over the Mystic Pilferer again.. I was wondering if a more refined version that doesn't simply get all features of both classes could be done... perhaps with the addition of some Lurk or Psychic Rogue like abilities and using the Psithief variant of the Spellthief... keeping the whole class psionic...

Soulknife/Spellthief(Psithief)/Lurk/Psychic Rogue

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2017, 07:05:06 AM »
After looking over the Mystic Pilferer again.. I was wondering if a more refined version that doesn't simply get all features of both classes could be done... perhaps with the addition of some Lurk or Psychic Rogue like abilities and using the Psithief variant of the Spellthief... keeping the whole class psionic...

Wow did I miss this one... quite possibly is the answer, but I really despise anything from Complete Psi, and basically ignore that that book ever happened. So I'd need to take a look at the Psychic Rogue/Psithief instead.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »

Just FYI, I basically did that with the Kleptologue (a psionic Spellthief).

EDIT: Link: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=17681.0

Wow did I miss this one... quite possibly is the answer, but I really despise anything from Complete Psi, and basically ignore that that book ever happened. So I'd need to take a look at the Psychic Rogue/Psithief instead.
There's not a lot of attention for Psionic stuff in general...

Not everything in C.Psi was bad, but most of it was bad, so finding the gems is unrewarding effort.

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2017, 07:23:09 PM »
I've got a request. Something I've wanted to see for a little bit, because the binder could always use more love. Can you perform a conceptual marriage of the Barbarian and the Binder, focusing on its role as a defender rather than a striker or control?
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2017, 06:28:07 AM »
Just FYI, I basically did that with the Kleptologue (a psionic Spellthief).

EDIT: Link: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=17681.0

Looks like a perfectly normal and reasonable class. I certainly wouldn't have any trouble with it in a psi-allowed setting.

There's not a lot of attention for Psionic stuff in general...

Not everything in C.Psi was bad, but most of it was bad, so finding the gems is unrewarding effort.

I've written a reasonable amount of Psi-material, but when CPsi came out way back when and was such a disappointment, being basically a book of revisions and nerfs and totally unlike Complete Arcane, it more or less got chucked in the banned bin and never let out.

I've got a request. Something I've wanted to see for a little bit, because the binder could always use more love. Can you perform a conceptual marriage of the Barbarian and the Binder, focusing on its role as a defender rather than a striker or control?

I've kind of stopped building too many classes outside of Arhosa, but I might be able to take a look at some point. Although I've never heard anyone describe a barbarian as a defender before...

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2017, 11:02:34 AM »
Mmm, if it can't be done, that's alright. Perhaps I'll hack it together myself. I have another class in the same sort of vein in a folder somewhere. A binder/lurk combination. Maybe I'll put them up as a pair.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
Mmm, if it can't be done, that's alright. Perhaps I'll hack it together myself. I have another class in the same sort of vein in a folder somewhere. A binder/lurk combination. Maybe I'll put them up as a pair.

IMHO a Binder wouldn't even need a custom class to be Psionic.

You just need more Psionic Vestiges, and you need to change the Vestige PP mechanic so that Psionic Vestiges don't all suck.

You could also do Lurk Augments as one power granted by a new Vestige -- augmented for free up to EBL, and only usable once per turn every 5 rounds, but otherwise unlimited.

Anyway, I feel like I'm intruding on Strat's excellent thread, so maybe let's take the discussion elsewhere -- Strat is welcome to join in, of course. :)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »
Hey, if you're volunteering to make designs for people, I don't mind if it's done here. I don't use this one too much any more.