Author Topic: OOC Discussion and shit  (Read 98698 times)

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Discussion and shit
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »
Number of spell slots is irrelevant, since you have to wait for the duration to finish before it'll have any meaningful effect, so as long as you can do it 1/year, you're good.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »
Actually, the 1-week lead-up time is RAW only from the original casting.  After that it adds on as soon as you're done casting (which would normally be a week, but for Ransom is a standard action).

Quote from: SRD
Once the basic demiplane reaches its maximum size, the spellcaster can continue to cast this spell to enlarge the demiplane, adding another 180 feet of radius to the demiplane each time.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »
Actually, the 1-week lead-up time is RAW only from the original casting.  After that it adds on as soon as you're done casting (which would normally be a week, but for Ransom is a standard action).

Quote from: SRD
Once the basic demiplane reaches its maximum size, the spellcaster can continue to cast this spell to enlarge the demiplane, adding another 180 feet of radius to the demiplane each time.
The "reaches its maximum size" line is what limits it, timewise.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2012, 10:32:59 PM »
Well, I have two issues with that: first is "basic demiplane" to me is talking about the original casting, not any subsequents.  Secondary to that is: how long does it take for the expansions to happen?  It doesn't say that either.

EDIT: Even if it takes as long as the original with every expansion, that's only a week.  There are a lot more weeks than 1/year.

You know, maybe he should just do it once a week.  He has other stuff to cast there anyway -- TC for seeds, plant growth, etc.  I dunno... it doesn't really matter how big it is, I guess. Whenever he stops by, if it isn't currently expanding and he has an extra slot, he'll fire one off.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:34:54 PM by sirpercival »

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2012, 11:29:48 PM »
Well, I have two issues with that: first is "basic demiplane" to me is talking about the original casting, not any subsequents.  Secondary to that is: how long does it take for the expansions to happen?  It doesn't say that either.

EDIT: Even if it takes as long as the original with every expansion, that's only a week.  There are a lot more weeks than 1/year.

You know, maybe he should just do it once a week.  He has other stuff to cast there anyway -- TC for seeds, plant growth, etc.  I dunno... it doesn't really matter how big it is, I guess. Whenever he stops by, if it isn't currently expanding and he has an extra slot, he'll fire one off.
It actually does say how long the expansions take, though I had it twice as long. Second paragraph, "At first, the fledgling plane grows at a rate of 1 foot in radius per day to an initial maximum radius of 180 feet as it rapidly draws substance from surrounding ethereal vapors and protomatter. "

Taking the entire spell into account, it's pretty clear that you have to wait until it hits maximum size before increasing it's size with another casting.

"initial maximum radius of 180 feet"
and
"reaches its maximum size"

Offline AyeGill

• Honorary Mod
  • Can eternal lie, may not be dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2012, 01:40:28 AM »
I was thinking that Shadow-Miracled Permanency followed by a Shadow Miracle to make it innate could work on the See Invisibility (with Aye's approval).  I would have to do a number of them so that the original tribe all had the effect, and then hope that they passed it on to their progeny.

Thoughts?

Totally doable. Don't know 'bout Greater Invisibility, though. Suppose I'll allow it.

Another Shadow Miracle to change it to Greater?

OK, so then I'll post up the Nihil shortly.  Do you want the info on Nowhere and the Nihil in this thread, the char sheet thread, the World Info thread, or a thread devoted entirely to our various strongholds?  :)

More questions.  Genesis adds 180' of radius each time it's cast... since I'm making the castings Invisible, that means I can cast Genesis out of 6th, 7th, and 8th-level slots.  How big should I have the plane be?  It can be pretty enormous, I think... in terms of height and depth, do I have a cylinder or a sphere?

EDIT: Actually, it'll be 360' of radius, since I can Widen it for free thanks to Arcane Thesis.

I'm thinking put it in the World topic.

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »
Is there an LA +0 Half-minotaur template?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »

It actually does say how long the expansions take, though I had it twice as long. Second paragraph, "At first, the fledgling plane grows at a rate of 1 foot in radius per day to an initial maximum radius of 180 feet as it rapidly draws substance from surrounding ethereal vapors and protomatter. "

Taking the entire spell into account, it's pretty clear that you have to wait until it hits maximum size before increasing it's size with another casting.

"initial maximum radius of 180 feet"
and
"reaches its maximum size"

But if it always grows at the same rate, why include "At first"?  That implies that the growth rate changes at some point.  The only changeover that's actually talked about is switching from initial casting to future castings.

BTW, if you're right, it'll still be a year because he Widens it to 360 feet each casting.

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »
If widen is applicable, it would widen by 2 feet per day, not 1.

And I'm probably guessing it's written from the perspective of first time casting ever, much like ToB's "chooses a first level stance" clause is written from the perspective of taking the class at first, not multiclassing into it.

Either way, it doesn't have any language to indicate that the expansion rate ever changes.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »
Oh, right -- 180 days then, so twice per year.

Honestly... let's just go with the slow ruling.  As I said, he has other stuff he needs to cast on it, and if he makes it too big he'll never catch up.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »
Is there any way to get a true dragon as a teammate in a way that doesn't limit its hit dice (like Leadership, Thrallherd, etc. do)?

Because once we hit 18th level and Ransom gets 9th-level spells, we can get a wyrmling dragon in such a method, and he can Shapechange into a Phane, and put the dragon into temporal stasis, then age it 1d4 years every round.

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2012, 08:00:59 PM »
Domination or Diplomacy to Fanaticism.

Also, temporal stasis is unnecessary: just drop a curse on it. Ages one category per curse, easily done.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2012, 09:06:52 PM »
If Bestow Curse stacks, which it may not.

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2012, 07:05:22 AM »
How about someone got a Draconic Familiar, treat him nicely, get a new dragon once the familiar is too old, diplomance the old familiar to be fanatical toward us, age him, and repeat ?
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline AyeGill

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2012, 08:26:36 AM »
Like i said in the original thread, we won't be using vanilla diplomacy.

How do you all like this variant?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2012, 08:36:22 AM »
I'm using it in Magipunk... it's still kinda DM fiat-y, but at least the terms are more clearly defined and have more gradations (and the whole Fanatic thing isn't).

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2012, 11:58:41 AM »
I've used it a couple times in games, and it works pretty well. Keeps things more ",realistic within the game world" as far as mechanics go.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
What we need to do is find a lawful dragon and have it sign a contract: we'll age it a bunch of categories, and in payment it'll help us rock out on our enemies.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »
What we need to do is find a lawful dragon and have it sign a contract: we'll age it a bunch of categories, and in payment it'll help us rock out on our enemies.

Bio up. Caution: Wall of Text.

(click to show/hide)

I like the Diplo, you don't make people like you more with it, just barter a better deal at the time.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline AyeGill

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
[Bio]

This. This right here.

This is how you Bio.

So you're the leader of Sasaric's cult? Interesting.

There's so very many plot possibilities here.