Author Topic: AoO disrupting ranged attack  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Soft Insanity

• Put a blanket over it!
    • View Profile
AoO disrupting ranged attack
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:27:26 PM »
I'd like some clarification.  I just left a game where the gm declared that the attack of opportunity from using a ranged weapon in melee forced the attack to miss due dealing damage.  I tried to explain that's the grapple rules, but he insisted that it's always been that way.  The ruleset is d20 modern with some 3.5.  Even spellcasters get a concentration check, so i'm perplexed.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: AoO disrupting ranged attack
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:15:24 AM »
In 3.5, nope. Getting hit by the AoO provoked when making a ranged attack does not automatically disrupt the ranged attack. Unless your opponent disarms or kills you or something with their AoO, your ranged attack will go off just fine no matter how much damage you take.

I don't think d20 Modern changes that at all, although I'm not as familiar with the minutia of d20M any more.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 12:29:01 AM »
Looking at the D20 Modern core rulebook, page 131, shows that attacks of opportunity say nothing about disrupting the ranged attack that triggered the AoO, thus it means the AoO does not disrupt it.

Offline Soft Insanity

• Put a blanket over it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 12:41:58 AM »
Looking at the D20 Modern core rulebook, page 131, shows that attacks of opportunity say nothing about disrupting the ranged attack that triggered the AoO, thus it means the AoO does not disrupt it.

His claim when i pointed that out was that it doesn't say it doesn't.  To which I responded that all melee attacks must provoke.

It's truly frustrating and the whole incident came across as him trying to TPK the party (who were all ranged and noncombat characters).  He was on about how he was having trouble getting players to stick with the game (it's online) and now I understand why.

His argument hinged on his 12 years of experience where that's always been the case.