Author Topic: Old OOC Discussion Thread  (Read 38347 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 12:28:53 PM »
Absolutely; a thieve's tool kit contains a lot of tools for lockpicking and the like, many pieces of which are small and concealable. The whole kit, of course, is not, and some tools may not be applicable to all situations. Let me know what kind of tools you might have hid on yourself and we'll see what you could have gotten away with.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
Mostly, right now, I'm interested in the scissors and the file that are supposedly in there. I'm no expert on how lockpicks work, but I doubt only part of the set would work. But those... something sharp and a file, huh? Much handier.

Offline Michael Lightning

• It's the end of the world..... What's for dinner?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »
Might I be able to hide my holy symbol? If they don't know I'm a cleric and just a fighter, there'd be less caution.
~And through it all, it ends with a single flash of lightning~

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 12:58:38 PM »
Also, important question: Do we know each other or not?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 01:02:36 PM »
I see no reason to know absolutely any of you. :lmao

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 01:32:26 PM »
Obviously not you  :P, but anyone else?

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 03:41:30 PM »
Of any of you want to know each other before the start of the game, that's fine; best to decide that now. I left it open to give you the option, or to decide that you're all strangers thrown together by fate and circumstances.

@Raineh: that's fine. The mirror and pliers may be harder to conceal than the file and lockpicks. The scissors are probably in between. Given your roll, you successfully kept those tools you wanted hidden.

@Michael: it really depends on what kind of Holy symbol you've got.  There are three types mentioned in the equipment section: an amulet,  an emblem, and a reliquary. The emblem has no weight and takes up no space,  but that's because it's emblazoned on armor or a shield or something along those lines; it would be hard to hide, but depending on where it's placed, it wouldn't need to be. An amulet is easy to hide, but might still be found. A reliquary would most certainly be found, but might not necessarily be  identified as a holy symbol- all the same, it would likely be taken from you along with other gear.

@Everyone else: you'll want to make sure to think about which deity you worship. In the Forgotten realms, it's uncommon not to worship at least one deity,  as the faithless spend eternity in a pretty awful place once they die. Usually those who turn their back on the Gods have some alternative in mind, such as finding ways to remove death from the equation.

At this point in the realms, there are even some gods who had previously been assumed dead who have returned.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:53:33 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 03:49:54 PM »
Lolth I've probably offended, I'm too much of a jerk to consider Eilastree the Unspellable, so the Wall of the Faithless it is. Bah, I'm a monk and an elf, I have a lot of time and vitality to work it out. :lmao

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 04:10:16 PM »
There is a more neutral option, but I'd normally be loathe to mention it as it's a bit self-indulgent. I have a Drow character in another PbP campaign that managed to ascend. Aullara is the Goddess of Wit and Will, and patron of neutral Drow.

But again,  I'd never ask a player to worship one of my characters.

Your Drow character doesn't necessarily even have to worship a Drow deity. She could just as easily find a place in service to any of the Gods; perhaps a God with the war, trickery, or an elemental domain/portfolio. 

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »
I'd like to have know Bigogan from beforehand.  Perhaps we were working together on some arcane secret?  It seems like we'd get along well, personality-wise.

And I have no idea why I'd know him, but Liver-Eating Johnston sounds like a fantastic friend to have. 

I'd probably worship Mystra, Oghma, or Azuth if any of them are still around. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:16:43 PM by linklord231 »
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »
Have you checked my alignment section? Still Evil, just done the wrong stuff so Lolth isn't a tenable choice. We'll see how this goes. :P

IC post has a question attached. XD

I'd like to have know Bigogan from beforehand.  Perhaps we were working together on some arcane secret?  It seems like we'd get along well, personality-wise.

Misread that as Biggoron.

Mystra's predecessor was better. :P

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
Wasn't Mystra's predecessor (and the one before that) also called Mystra? 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 04:29:11 PM »
Wasn't Mystra's predecessor (and the one before that) also called Mystra? 

Netherese one? Mystryl. Chaotic Neutral and a much more interesting person.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »

And I have no idea why I'd know him, but Liver-Eating Johnston sounds like a fantastic friend to have. 

Sure, Bigogan enjoys having friends to work on secrets with. Knowledge is meant to be shared, after all.

Edit: Well, I don't have my knife or my pearl, and I sure can't see that there guard too well, but I've got my component pouch... not that a Fire mage is very useful out on the ocean.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:48:27 PM by Gazzien »

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 04:46:07 PM »
@Raineh: Your own alignment doesn't really matter in worship these days, at least not by my rules. There are no rules about staying within a particular alignment "zone," though if you displease a God enough they'll probably find a way to disown you or worse. Aullara, in particular, doesn't really care how good or evil her worshipers are, so long as they maintain some aspect of balance. She favors those who rely more on willpower, cunning, and mind-over-matter approaches rather than brute strength. Still, you can go faithless all the same, or even find a deity who you favor sometime during the campaign. You could choose to worship Mystryl, though you'd probably be one of veeeery few people who care about her anymore, and it's unlikely she'll ever gain enough faith or relevance to bring her back.

@linklord: Mystra has returned after being presumed dead, and the Weave has been restored (in-game, this happened ~5 years ago or so). Oghma and Azuth are both around.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 04:50:41 PM »
@Raineh: Your own alignment doesn't really matter in worship these days, at least not by my rules. There are no rules about staying within a particular alignment "zone," though if you displease a God enough they'll probably find a way to disown you or worse. Aullara, in particular, doesn't really care how good or evil her worshipers are, so long as they maintain some aspect of balance. She favors those who rely more on willpower, cunning, and mind-over-matter approaches rather than brute strength. Still, you can go faithless all the same, or even find a deity who you favor sometime during the campaign. You could choose to worship Mystryl, though you'd probably be one of veeeery few people who care about her anymore, and it's unlikely she'll ever gain enough faith or relevance to bring her back.

@linklord: Mystra has returned after being presumed dead, and the Weave has been restored (in-game, this happened ~5 years ago or so). Oghma and Azuth are both around.
... Mystryl is dead, though. She sacrificed herself to repair the Weave after Karsus' Folly, and was reincarnated as Mystra. I mean... you could worship her I guess? But you wouldn't get anything from it unless you became an Ur-Priest (if those still exist in 5e)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »
I was just teasing. Worshipping a dead human god would be kind of dumb, especially with Mystra around. Just saying that she's more interesting than Mystra ever could be. :lmao

Portfolio:   Magic, spells, the weave, wizards, spellcasters, energy, creativity, knowledge, invention, song, time, spring

More varied portfolio, for one. XD

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 04:53:25 PM »
I never said it was a smart option, just an available one.  :P

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 05:02:45 PM »
Well, I think Bigogan's stuck for the moment.

Edit: Unless I use a second-level spell to teleport free, but I would really rather not.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:05:06 PM by Gazzien »

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 05:13:18 PM »
Yeah, your only choices for teleporting to would be the open water or maybe the very end of the ship. Not the best places to wind up alone and defenseless. :)

By the way, I do reward creative-thinking, so if anyone ever has an idea for something cool they want to try, let me know and we can figure out how feasible it is or what needs to happen to get it to work.