Author Topic: OOC Discussion  (Read 13837 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Discussion
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »
Moderately Armored would be good if you're focusing on strength rather than Dex, though keep in mind you won't be nearly as sneaky if you have heavier armor which imposes disadvantage on stealth checks. You can always take medium armor master later, though.

War caster would also be a good feat, potentially coming up fairly often in combat.

I definitely wouldn't discount taking the ability score bumps, however.

A fighter dip could could be useful in a lot of ways, but you're right about delaying warlock class features. Also, if you're considering the dip, going with Duelist might actually fit the concept better and might yield a better average damage result (although great weapon fighter might result in higher rolls. You might still roll low, however). It's all up to you how you envision the character though.

I'll message you later with some more ideas for your patron abilities, by the way.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 08:43:32 PM »
I've nixed Moderately armored as an option, spending a feat for +2 AC doesn't seem worth it.

So we're down to War Caster or the stat boost.

I'll ponder multiclassing, and I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 01:15:55 PM »
Alright, making progress. 

HP: rolling or average?

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 01:28:46 PM »
Whichever the player prefers. I will suggest taking the average listed for each class rather than rolling, as my other players often end up with sub-standard hp when rolling. But feel free to leave it to chance if you like!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »
Leaving my stats to chance didn't work out.  Average it is.   :p

Edit: How do you want to work on the critical maneuver?  Magebound-ness?  Pricing of uncommon magic items?

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 05:41:05 PM »
The critical maneuver will be worked out privately with each character, once I know more about them.

We've already worked out some of the Magebound aspects, but I will let you know more on what it means for your character soon.

As for the uncommon items, I'll have to get back to you on that. I believe I already mentioned how much your wealth can get you earlier, but lll review it and update here once I have a definite answer.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 10:09:09 PM »
what do you need to know about our PC's? 

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 11:47:23 PM »
Well, a basic idea of who each character is. A basic background and personality, maybe a couple notable features or quirks.

Your character I'm already familiar with since it's more or less the same character as in the last game.

You're all encouraged to come up with an interesting character hook (perhaps your character is a criminal and stole something from the wrong person, and they're out to find you; or perhaps you've been cursed and still haven't learned what the effect is; you may have found a strange egg, and some day it will hatch and reveal what sort of creature is inside; etc. etc.).

For instance:
A fighter who is captain of the Iron King's honor guard, as well as his daughter. Rather than fight with sword or hammer, she prefers heavy gauntlets, and her critical maneuver is Iron Barrage. On a crit, she pummels her enemies, tapping into the power of the Iron King (and taking on some of the visual and physical traits as a result, temporarily), making several extra attacks, on top of the normal bonus of a critical hit.

A warlock summoned from beyond the veil of this reality to aid the other adventurers, bidden by her Otherworldly Patron to finish the task or risk displeasing him. She was born with sight, but upon making contact with the patron entity, she was nearly driven insane by the unknowable presence but ended up merely losing her vision; she was repaid by her patron with the ability to sense without sight (blindsight). Her abilities are both eldritch and alien, and her critical maneuver is the Doom of Damaros. Darkness creeps upon the ground, from a wall, or above from thin air, and shadowy tendrils emerge to grasp the target. They are restrained, might be frightened, and if they don't escape soon thereafter, they are pulled into an alternate dimension.

A human monk abandoned at the monastery shortly after birth has never known his true heritage. He manifests a strange, arcane sigil, emblazoned on his body like a tattoo, and which grants strange powers over life and death. He discovers that his blood is mixed of both human and elven bloodlines, and he is the sole living heir to an ancient elven civilization long thought deceased. The only problem is that there exists another, unliving heir as well. As a Way of the Four Elements monk, he has powers over elemental forces, and takes on potent traits of the Elementals during his critical maneuver.

One of these characters is from the original Karthun source material, while the other two are characters in another game I'm running. It should give a good idea for the sort of hooks which might fit in with the campaign, and how their backstories and/or class shapes their critical maneuvers.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 03:46:14 PM »
Not my most compelling background, by a long shot, but it will work.
Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 04:58:48 PM »
Not my most compelling background, by a long shot, but it will work.

It will do quite nicely. Gives me plenty to work with, and there are hooks enough to include you in the plot going forward.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2015, 03:17:08 PM »
Okay, my background is done as well.

I just need to pick a fighting style and get gear sorted out (and magebound stuff), then I'm done.

Venn, tell me if there's anything that needs to be adjusted because I took some liberties.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2015, 01:07:19 AM »
All done.

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »
Alright, seems we've got three characters ready to go. I'm not quite ready to start the game, but I think we can start soon. Anyone else joining in can always be introduced later through various means if need be.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 03:05:19 PM »
Sounds good to me. Any particular region we are starting in?

Also, SorO, you still around?
Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
You'll be starting in Andern,, having been summoned by the Iron King. This should give you a brief but well-encompassing introduction to Karthun, and we can spread out into other regions later.

As for SorO, I spoke with him about a week ago via PM, and he has been busy with work lately. I usually like having 4 players at minimum for a game, but if we have to start before he's able to join, we can do so.

Speaking of which, linklord had been interested and was building a Bear Clan Elf Paladin. I'll reach out to him to see if he's still in.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
the king must be mighty desperate to ask my PC for help  :lol

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 06:37:23 PM »
I demand that I have the chance to adventure with a paladin!  Fetch linklord at once!   :smirk

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 07:07:17 PM »
the king must be mighty desperate to ask my PC for help  :lol

Either that, or your character is expendable...  :smirk

The Iron King is not a fool. He knows precisely who to hire and for what purpose. In all likelihood, each of your characters has a particular use that will be of service to the Kingdom of Andern, whether you're aware of it or not.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 08:06:31 PM »
The he should know what will happen if i find out he considers me expendable  :D

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 02:40:28 AM »
I demand that I have the chance to adventure with a paladin!  Fetch linklord at once!   :smirk

Consider me fetched.  Sorry, I must've missed the post about moving to this thread. 

30 point buy for stats, right?

I'm still thinking Bear Clan Paladin of the Ancients.  Trying to decide between Dueling and Great Weapon fighting styles - Dueling would give me more defense with a 20 AC as well as open up the option for the rather nice Shield Master or Heavy Armor Master feat, but GWF would make my Smites rather beastly since the ability to reroll 1's and 2's extends to my Smite dice. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.