Author Topic: Is there any way to make the mistling fey template salvagable?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
Found on page 153/154 of the Eberron:The Forge of War splatbook, this template is really cool. It contains the only way I know of to create living spells outside of dragon mag. Unfortunately It is 6 LA  :( and so I turn to the collective wisdom of the minmaxboards.
Please, call me Count :).

Offline FlaminCows

• Push that button. Doo eeet.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to make the mistling fey template salvagable?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 01:32:16 AM »
Well, the simple answers are:
1. Reduce the LA, or
2. Use the stuff from Dragon Mag.

I mean, seriously, it isn't going to give you cooties. There is a lot of fun stuff in there.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »
Well, the simple answers are:
1. Reduce the LA, or
2. Use the stuff from Dragon Mag.

I mean, seriously, it isn't going to give you cooties. There is a lot of fun stuff in there.

1. How can you reduce such a huge LA? You'll be in epic levels before then.

2. While I don't mind using dragon mag (in fact I've already made a nice build using the stuff in their) their are lots of DM's who won't allow it.

Offline FlaminCows

• Push that button. Doo eeet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »
I mean "reduce the LA" as in "house rule it by declaring it to be a lower number", not "reduce the huge LA" as in "that rule in Unearthed Arcana".

If you have a restrictive DM, then I'm afraid that nothing will help you much. The mistling fey template is, in fact, unsalvageable if one isn't willing to adapt it. Lots of rules are like that in D&D. If you want to play it, then your best bet is to use the best power build you can find and hope it compensates for being six levels behind.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:00:32 PM by FlaminCows »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »
You could also re-do it in Oslecamo's Improved Monster Classes.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »
you can also do it by following the updated level adjustment rules, summarized and commented here: the Level Adjustment Mini Guide

basically:
*all templates can be broken into levels.
*leveled templates can be taken one level at a time, and need not be continuous.
*a single LA can be bought off every 3 levels, if no more than one LA level exists at a time.

ergo, you can fit up to a +6 LA into 20 levels ending with no LA (last LA is bought off at 18th, and you can't buy off a 7th until 21st level)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:20:07 AM by nijineko »

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 05:03:52 PM »
you can also do it by following the updated level adjustment rules, summarized and commented here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=803.0

basically:
*all templates can be broken into levels.
*leveled templates can be taken one level at a time, and need not be continuous.
*a single LA can be bought off every 3 levels, if no more than one LA level exists at a time.

ergo, you can fit up to a +6 LA into 20 levels ending with no LA (last LA is bought off at 18th, and you can't buy off a 7th until 21st level)

The link doesn't work  :(.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 01:21:03 AM »
you can also do it by following the updated level adjustment rules, summarized and commented here: the Level Adjustment Mini Guide

bah, somehow flipped the url with the title. try this one again, it should work now. sorry about that.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 04:54:18 PM »

bah, somehow flipped the url with the title. try this one again, it should work now. sorry about that.

S'okay  :).

Ooooh...that is really cool  :clap. I wonder why no one commented  :???.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 12:25:50 AM »
the comments are over in the handbook discussion thread, mostly. there is a separate sub-forum for the discussions, so that the handbooks stay clean and informative and easy to read / find stuff. mostly, the comments were in the vein of, "everyone already knows that, and if they don't a simple read of the material will fix that, no need for a handbook", to which i replied that not everyone does know this, and it is nice to have it all in one spot, rather than scattered around a number of books and online articles.

i find the updated rules quite handy. especially when i was building a psionic ghost telekinetic.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:28:43 AM by nijineko »

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:44:03 PM »
the comments are over in the handbook discussion thread, mostly. there is a separate sub-forum for the discussions, so that the handbooks stay clean and informative and easy to read / find stuff. mostly, the comments were in the vein of, "everyone already knows that, and if they don't a simple read of the material will fix that, no need for a handbook", to which i replied that not everyone does know this, and it is nice to have it all in one spot, rather than scattered around a number of books and online articles.

i find the updated rules quite handy. especially when i was building a psionic ghost telekinetic.

Brainfart there. Sorry.

I actually posted this thread on gitp too. Between the two I have using the above and using the symbiotic template. That's pretty good for a thread in which I expected  0 answers.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »
just make sure you never have more than +1 LA at a time, otherwise you have to wait LA*3 levels before you can buy off again.