Author Topic: The Politics Thread v3  (Read 95627 times)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Politics Thread v3
« Reply #460 on: December 06, 2016, 09:47:48 PM »

This anti-corruption thing is going so well.

*cackles manicly about first-world problems*

Ah, sorry. That was entirely too rude of me.

It's humorous regardless of how minor the corruption is. And going for populism and anti-corruption then... this.

Oh, I know. I was just thinking about how... relatively easy you guys have got it there.  :P
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #461 on: December 06, 2016, 10:10:18 PM »
Maybe Trump will fix it.
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 06, 2016, 10:15:17 PM »

It's humorous regardless of how minor the corruption is. And going for populism and anti-corruption then... this.

Oh, I know. I was just thinking about how... relatively easy you guys have got it there.  :P

"You guys."

I'm an outside observer too. :P

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 07, 2016, 04:55:18 AM »

They're giving a man who gets pissy about Saturday Night Live and gets his news off Twitter the nuclear launch codes.  Everyone should be afraid.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 07, 2016, 11:54:16 AM »

They're giving a man who gets pissy about Saturday Night Live and gets his news off Twitter the nuclear launch codes.  Everyone should be afraid.

We've given the biggest thieves in our history the key to our coffers. And then they made thieving legal, but only for themselves.

At least on your side of the pond there are enough sensible people that if he does decide to press a button someone might be there to stop him.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 07, 2016, 06:10:13 PM »
Actually our laws are designed so that he alone makes the decision on nukes.  If he wants to do it the only way anyone has of stopping him is shooting him in the head.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 07, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »
Actually our laws are designed so that he alone makes the decision on nukes.  If he wants to do it the only way anyone has of stopping him is shooting him in the head.

The Secretary of Defense has to agree actually, the President can't launch it alone.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #467 on: December 07, 2016, 08:29:20 PM »
Good thing he won't appoint a yes man, that Donald.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 08, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »
I thought The Donald could defeat nukes just by his awesomeness alone.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #469 on: December 08, 2016, 11:30:47 PM »
I thought The Donald could defeat nukes just by his awesomeness alone.

The_Donald would suck in the nukes because it is a raging cesspool devoid of hope or sanity.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 09, 2016, 06:08:56 AM »
Good thing this isn't War Games and there are actual people that have to push the buttons.  People who have been vetted for sanity.  Unlike our Commander Incompetent.  So it'll only be one or two.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 09, 2016, 09:19:01 AM »
Have...have you seen our nuclear sites?  You know, the places that have come under fire recently for the people drinking on the job, cheating on the tests (everyone there cheating on the tests, at all levels, facilitated by all levels), the launch silos in disrepair, etc.  I say recently, I mean a couple years ago.  But the problem just went away, not being fixed, people just stopped caring.  Which put us back to before this was common knowledge.  This has been a problem for a while.

Although, that might be a good thing here, maybe the people in charge of turning the keys will just forget how to do it when the order come in.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 09, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »
Nixon was worse 'cause The Donald isn't a drunk.
story from 2000 ---> https://www.theguardian.com/weekend/story/0,3605,362958,00.html

Yeltsin was (is) a drunk, but he kept his nerve.
story from 2012 ---> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/russia/closecall/

Speculating ... Flynn was 1 of the ISIS intelligence guys, no nukes in those tactics. 
Patraeus wants to get back in, and he's the mop-up-W's-Iraq-mess guy = no chance.
Bannon ?  I'd expect his usual screed tactics to be mouthy about this = all talk , crazy people oops into action (see Comet pizza).
Pence ... very conservative Catholics don't consort with end-of-the-worlders.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 04:49:01 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 09, 2016, 10:05:31 PM »
Reminder: 44% of Americans think the world will end in their lifetimes.  A good chunk of them, enough to be noticeable, believe that this will be heralded by a Christian army and a Muslim army fighting in Syria.  ISIS is taking over very specific Syrian cities, because those are the prophesied battlegrounds, they are also trying to do this.  A number of people who really want us to go into Syria are doing this because they want to help usher in the end of the world.  So yeah, a pretty big chunk of conservative Christians would absolutely try to end the world.  I'm not sure Pence is one of them, but just because he's Catholic doesn't mean he won't.

Note: a large portion of the US consider us to be a Christian nation, and thus a Christian army.  We are not, but they consider us as such.  ISIS considers us as such.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 12, 2016, 05:32:36 PM »
Yeah they've been itching about that even since ISIS went into Syria.

Recent story, NOT well titled, usually "Life Expectancy Lower for Trump Voters".
http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/life-expectancy-lower-trump-voters-n694421
edit --- don't use this one, found the actual study below

There were a big pile of counties that voted Obama twice, but flipped to Trump.
"But the "health problems" question is fairly consistent across the counties Trump won."
Throw in the unemployment = anti-immigration, too.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:55:55 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 13, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »
Here's the originating article, much better info.

http://www.centredaily.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/article119636503.html

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 10, 2017, 10:02:09 PM »
So Trump may or may not be into golden showers and Russia may or may not have blackmail on Trump.  Thanks to anti-information campaigns I cant tell if the story is true or not but this is still everything I ever wanted but didn't know I wanted.  In related news the final words of 2016 were 'The Aristocrats!'

Also in more serious news, Trump's....guy?  I don't know his actual title, but a senior Trump adviser or something, the guy who kept saying 'Says who!' in response to a journalist asking him questions probably was in Prague meeting with Russian intelligence officers to do....stuff (we have no real way of knowing what they talked about).  This happened in July/August.  In response to these allegations, he posted a picture of his passport (the outside, so no stickers/stamps) with text "I have never been to Prague!". He then proceed to admit to heading to Italy in June.  You know, the same time these meeting happened.  In a country where traveling to Prague would require no passport checks.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 11, 2017, 04:52:47 PM »
Heh, the intelligence agencies sending a pro-tip to the F.B.I. about how to really do it.

iirc - and there's so much reportage froth on this its ridiculous - some of today's supposed material, had been part of a Pre-election briefing.

line 1) ... 4 more years  :D
line 2) ... return to line 1

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 20, 2017, 04:43:56 PM »
What?  Was something ...  :whistle ... going on today?

Ironically, my i.p. address today is going through Wash DC 20007 (which I was totally unaware of, 'til 2 minutes ago). 

Goldman Sachs is near totally in charge of the economy now ; and "rumor" has it they don't follow anyone else's ideology.  Roll a d20 for result please.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 20, 2017, 08:46:39 PM »
What?  Was something ...  :whistle ... going on today?

Ironically, my i.p. address today is going through Wash DC 20007 (which I was totally unaware of, 'til 2 minutes ago). 

Goldman Sachs is near totally in charge of the economy now ; and "rumor" has it they don't follow anyone else's ideology.  Roll a d20 for result please.

I think America just rolled a 1, what happens with that?