Author Topic: The Politics Thread v3  (Read 95629 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: The Politics Thread v3
« Reply #480 on: January 20, 2017, 09:00:39 PM »
What?  Was something ...  :whistle ... going on today?

Ironically, my i.p. address today is going through Wash DC 20007 (which I was totally unaware of, 'til 2 minutes ago). 

Goldman Sachs is near totally in charge of the economy now ; and "rumor" has it they don't follow anyone else's ideology.  Roll a d20 for result please.

I think America just rolled a 1, what happens with that?

Even bigger random events table.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 21, 2017, 07:44:46 PM »
Facebook: Bringing God back to America!
Comment: Trump is barely religious.
Facebook: But he had more priests at his inauguration than anyone else!
Comment: Yeah and they all prayed for God to guide Trump as a last ditch effort.

At least my wall isn't totally full of BS.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #482 on: January 21, 2017, 08:44:59 PM »
Facebook: Bringing God back to America!
Comment: Trump is barely religious.
Facebook: But he had more priests at his inauguration than anyone else!
Comment: Yeah and they all prayed for God to guide Trump as a last ditch effort.

The Pope is on record as having made a statement to that effect.
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 21, 2017, 09:31:08 PM »
He had one of those prosperity Gospel wackadoos too.  Which pretty much get the exact opposite message than what the Big JC was puttin' down.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 22, 2017, 09:39:40 AM »
iirc he had FOUR prosperity gospel people.  One of whom is a personal friend and adviser.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 22, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »
Four?  He's really into that heretical blasphemy.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 22, 2017, 02:01:24 PM »
Trump has said multiple times, this is the religion guy he learned from :  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Vincent_Peale
I don't think the Prosperity guys have given that guy much thought. 

:lol ... heh ...  :-\

Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 24, 2017, 05:02:05 PM »
Been watching the small talk on Obamacare.

Pharma (of course) was the first vote, splitting both official party lines.

Rand Paul said the code words "repeal And Replace ".
Good Libertarian on repeal but horrors Bad Libertarian
oh he's got to get reelected in KY where KentuckyObamaCare is very popular.

Trump said he wouldn't enforce (ala executive branch) the mandate part.
Repubs have hinted at the 51 vote reconciliation, for partial defunding.
Combined those would slowly (too slowly for the rightmost flank) starve the program.
Hospital congloms don't like this part at all. **

4 Repub plans floating around, Collins from Maine has 4 Senators signed on.
Strong signal from the middle, pushing past the 51 vote # , against the rightmosts.

5+ years of polling that scrubbed of the spittle and bile Obama name
the provisions generally run ~75% in favor.

The Law itself require 60 to overturn, which won't happen without LOTS of centrist Dem negotiating.
CNBC yaks are talking about instability and insurance on investment pricing, going way off the rails.
Looks like Wall Street has finally woken up to real reality on OCare.

** edit --- Trump said the next day + leaked intentionally
that OCare could twist on the vine for 2 years (paraphrasing). 
This is probably an accurate statement, on what they "could" do,
and think would happen if they did so, purely as a negotiation point
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:21:52 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 31, 2017, 09:20:26 AM »
I predicted 2 years before impeachment.  It looks like it might be 2 weeks.  Either that or we're in more trouble than I thought.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 01, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »
I predicted 2 years before impeachment.  It looks like it might be 2 weeks.  Either that or we're in more trouble than I thought.

Wow, and your prez hasn't even been involved in major money leaking scandals yet.  :P
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 01, 2017, 02:53:50 PM »
He is the physical representation of money leaking scandals.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 01, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »
I mean AS A PRESIDENT, not as a public figure.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 01, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »
I mean AS A PRESIDENT, not as a public figure.

Why even wait at that point?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 03, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »
[edit]
Umm, I was going to engage with Soro's post, but it seems to have been deleted.  Not sure what the ~official protocol is for this.
see SorO's post below for proper link
[/edit]

One specific thing I don't understand about what the Boy Scouts org are doing, is why is it they are the most vocal + public of youth organizations, about whatever changes they're having trouble with?  These exact same set of problems are happening with 1000s of other youth orgs, but there's no massive p.r. and flame wars associated.

Along those lines, the shirt I'm wearing is a girl scout's Sewing Merit badge, but for boys.  Some sort of manly Libertarianism I presume.
'Nother example, USA women's basketball players are for some unknown reason, too dainty to go pro at the age of 21 (even though all other nationalities allow this Canada Brits Aussies especially) while being able to drink legally and fight in wars, etc.

So wherever the "lines" get drawn, I don't see the connections in the muddy waters.  It's all usually rather confusing to me.
 :???
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:28:49 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 04, 2017, 12:27:54 AM »
Can you name another youth group like the Boy Scouts?  That's why.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: February 04, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »
Can you name another youth group like the Boy Scouts?  That's why.

YMCA

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 04, 2017, 06:36:09 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/josh-rogin/wp/2017/02/04/the-white-house-cabinet-battle-over-trumps-immigration-ban/?utm_term=.f57c5f8b7c9b  The update is from Spicer, so take it with a grain of salt.

Apparently Bannon is trying to order staff as if he were POTUS himself.  That doesn't bode well.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #497 on: February 04, 2017, 11:01:22 PM »
I say we call him Wormtongue.
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 05, 2017, 01:32:45 AM »
Umm, I was going to engage with Soro's post, but it seems to have been deleted.  Not sure what the ~official protocol is for this.
It wasn't, I posted it in the small rant thread and mostly joked they should have gone full co-ed in my youth instead of waiting so long ;)

One specific thing I don't understand about what the Boy Scouts org are doing, is why is it they are the most vocal + public of youth organizations, about whatever changes they're having trouble with?  These exact same set of problems are happening with 1000s of other youth orgs, but there's no massive p.r. and flame wars associated.
It's the Boy Scouts, they are dual combination of religion and military that boosts a strong moral code and influential leaders. Conservationists love them because they are everything that made this nation great, outdoors, leadership, Duty to God!, morals, guns, camping, fire, religion, _insert_buzzword_here, etc. And libertarians hate the shit out of them because they are everything that's wrong with the nation for exactly the same reasons.

And they can be targeted. Like originally their "gay policy" was a direct copy from the US military, "don't ask, don't tell" and violating either end of that got you kicked out. However the US military wasn't going to budge but over on the Boy Scout side multiple gay leaders showed up to meetings with kids wearing dick costumes and some how people flocked to supporting them.  And you can see it again in the gender issue. Public schools use gender=sex rather than tumblr's newest invented identity spectrum and they failed so hard to change that it's not funny. So they went back to picking on BSA again whom this time learned their lesson and is a little more proactive, however it also makes them yielding so if anything they just painted an even larger target on their back. Anyway...

Along those lines, the shirt I'm wearing is a girl scout's Sewing Merit badge, but for boys.
And that's fine.

The thing is, there is a gender difference. It's the inverse of pretending the gay away and built on the same concepts of sexual discrimination. Having a masculine presentation on things just really doesn't attract everyone. For example, Venturing is a advanced carbon copy program of the Boy Scouts that even offers four alternative areas of focus. Like Ranger is basically Eagle Scout-like, but they also have Quartermaster (for seafarers), Quest is general sports which includes everything from football to gymnastics to Judo and volleyball, and even Trust which is religious-specific.

And it turns out, there just isn't a lot of female teenagers that have any interest in it. A core requirement of a successfully program is appealing to it's target audience and Venturing is failing. Most of it's numbers come from dual registering which is done for free thanks to how BSA does membership which means most of it's youth added $0 to the budget. Overall, the Boy Scouts have just plain failed to reach teenage girls.

And the thing is, they know they did. They got stuck with two choices, sacrificing the appeal all of the current membership enjoys but trying to reach the females or invent a new program. Well the former costs membership and the latter, well we already have statistics that prove an obviously masculine-leaning team isn't the best kind of people to hire out for femininity. So the only solution is hope someone else comes up with something.

Like the American Heritage Girls is pretty much a girl take on Cub/Boy Scouts and it seems to work better than Venturing. They are succeeding, at least somewhat, where BSA has failed. And here is the thing, AHG got an official "Memorandum of Mutual Support" from the BSA several years ago for offering at least some kind of good answer to the gender-differences. BSA loves them.

Which is probably also a good time for a quick tangent that could really help to open your eyes provided you're up to interpetating my normal levels of BS and style.

Take the recent mother signed her daughter-as-a-boy thing that happening in Ohio (or w/e) before BSA starting allowing trans in. The Boy Scouts have a strong moral code and they take pride in that, and by definition that also means they can't compromise on certain things. Period. The mother saw shiny patches and a good program, she thinks it's unfair. So she lied on her child's application. She tells her daughter (or w/e) to pretend she's a real boy. This mother set an example and was teaching her daughter that dishonesty is a good short cut. The mother could have signed up for any other program, invented her own, or simply mimiced the things the Cub Scouts were doing at home, one of of hundreds of other options but nope.

Does that sound very Trustworthy and Honest to you?
Does it really sound like the child is getting a great message to become a great person?
No, no it does not. It's all about the shinies which is nothing more than the appeal, not the goal, of the program.

So now, let me ask you this.
If a women completes all the Requirement for Eagle should she be allowed to receive it?
(click to show/hide)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 06, 2017, 04:36:19 PM »
Sorry.  That's the right link.  Editing my earlier post for it.

"my normal levels of BS and style."
True, however my  normal levels, may on occasion cause wipeouts in either direction. (this was certainly one of them on my part)