Meta Board > Off Topic Fun

Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO)

(1/7) > >>

phaedrusxy:
I started playing this again over the past week (I'm working 12  hr night shifts and frequently am not busy). The Crystal Cove area has been open and I have been having a blast running it. I've gotten to where I can solo it 9 times out of 10, and managed to get 330 crystals once. :D

It got pretty intense at times... At one point, the main "boss" came up to the top of the ramp, along with 1-2 other "mini-bosses" and several wraiths... They killed me, my hireling, and all of the kobolds... but I'd already gotten the 100 crystals so I still "won".

It was hard on my equipment, though... At one point, everything I was wearing was broken. :P

I definitely was spending more in repairs than I was getting out of it...

It was definitely worth it, though. You can craft/buy some really great gear with the green gems you get as a reward, and it was tons of fun. I did a few runs with a guy, and it was way easier with two people. Even after crafting/buying myself a set of armor and several skill boosting hats (probably costing around 1000 total), I still have over 1600 green dragonshards.

phaedrusxy:
Been running this with my sorcerer, and it's significantly easier with the amount of damage he can dish out and Dimension Door to get back to the beginning quickly. I ran it with a few PUGs, but still haven't beaten that 330 crystals that I got soloing, although overall we do average more than I can get solo. I also soloed it a few times set on CR 17 with my level 11 sorcerer because I wanted emeralds. That was pretty tough, and wound up letting the Foreman die once or twice when Jack showed up, but managed to get over 100 green DS every time and got all the emeralds I needed, too. :D

Stratovarius:
How close is it to actual DnD?

SorO_Lost:

--- Quote from: Stratovarius on August 16, 2018, 09:40:19 AM ---How close is it to actual DnD?
--- End quote ---
75%ish?

It's D&D and you can learn a ton of Eberron lore, as well as expand on it, by playing DDO but it does have MMO mechanics that overlay the top of it. Particularly you get four Action Points per level which can be invested in skill trees. Also new combat mechanics like attack speed, PPR/MPR, Melee/Spell Power, Doublestrike, etc are aimed at the MMO gaming aspect to better set up scaling then the one hit lethality of D&D by becoming lethal in other ways. Like sheer numbers, because Contact Other Plane doesn't exist and you cannot Gate in Solars to claim caster supremacy.

As noted, if you want to play hit me up on what kind of Class you want. I can help you skip the learning curve of the differences and traps. Like a Human Sorcerer's best two Feats are probably Maximize and Empower Spell, because in a Spell Point system they don't need higher level Slots to use those feat and the SLAs they obtain in their skill trees ignore the increased cost of using Metamagics while enjoying the increased damage for using them. Something totally unheard of in D&D, sort of like Fighters (and even shields!) being useful.

phaedrusxy:
Yeah I'm using Empower and Maximize and have bought some enhancements to reduce the costs, although I have them "turned off" on my general spellcasting for now, and always on for the SLAs (which I can kill most mobs with quickly: I typically only actually cast spells for bosses and hordes). When I have them both on, and I hit something with Scorching Ray, it's typically WAY overkill (like... most mobs die to the first of the four rays...). So I'm just wasting power...

I'm having a blast running with acid first and fire second, though most people say you should spec cold primary for the later game (I haven't used my heart of lesser wood, so I could). Just made 12th night before last soloing The Pit, and then I bought Gianthold with some DDO points I had laying around and am enjoying it a lot.

I was finally able to put two points into getting Acid Blast as a SLA (requires 12th level), which is like an acid substituted fireball, and holy crap is that great. I'm doing average of 250+, and frequently critting for 500s, for a very small amount of power points (and I have over 1500 at my maximum). I have noticed that since hitting 12th there are more and more mobs that actually make their saving throws and some which I have a hard time beating the SR on, though. As in PnP D&D, once you hit the mid levels the difference between having a good save (and evasion) and having a bad save start to really become noticeable, and it's pretty easy to tell which monsters are which. Most of my spells allow Reflex saves at this point, so when I run into a bunch of rogue-like monsters with Evasion sometimes the fights take a while longer. :D

My biggest complaints are how you're basically railroaded in the game, and don't have all the utility/non-combat options that you have in real D&D. For example... there's a portcullis, and I'm a 12th level sorcerer with Dimension Door... except all that spell does in DDO is teleport me back to the beginning of the dungeon. It has no other destination options... So I have to run around all over the fkn place looking for a key... instead of DD'ing through it, blasting it open with my uber-acid attacks, summoning a monster on the other side and having it pull the switch, etc...

Also, invisibility is near useless. I understand that it seemed "unfair" that you could Invis to the end and complete a bunch of the quests without fighting, but come one... I was following an old guide on how to run through one of the adventures and it suggested using Invis to bypass some of the monsters... and they just walked up and started attacking me like I was wearing a giant, neon sign saying "Kill me, please!".  :rolleyes

And then there is the total lack of real flight... (although jumping off a cliff and lobbing fire/acid balls as you Featherfall down is pretty awesome :D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version