Author Topic: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)  (Read 32087 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Nonfictional People Strike Back(OOC)
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »
I apologize in advance for playing a crazy person without warning anyone.

To be fair I am going for Large Ham/Blue and Orange Morality myself.
Necra doesn't really have a conscience as such but she does listen to Hrothgar and understands that a murderous rampage would endanger them both.

Hrothgar is going to be...interesting.  His personality is still under development.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2016, 10:28:52 PM »
Quillwraith, when you have a chance, what do I see/hear with my character's awesome powers of sensory perception? Here are Chirop's senses, for convenient reference: blindsense 20 ft., darkvision 70 ft., low-light vision, Listen +17, Spot +17.

Also, when I have the chance to take 10 on a Spellcraft check or two, I'm going to do my at-will minimally-useful-but-not-useless cantrip prebuffing (cast prestidigitation and maybe read magic on self, and message to Karlat and Cwalu). Also light on any items they ask for (Chirop doesn't need the light himself).

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2016, 06:05:49 AM »
Eventually, we'll ask for light on our armours, when we go off exploring. Got to be able to see somehow.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2016, 07:40:32 AM »
You dead people sure are a cheerful lot :P

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2016, 04:37:18 PM »
Sup? It took me like a week to finally get around to responding but yeah up for joining. I think I was intending on a Warblade archer near the end? I think I'll just go back to the Spelltheif.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2016, 02:28:37 PM »
Be covering the one area we don't really have in the party. I think we're all packing enough healing through various mechanisms.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2016, 12:45:23 PM »
Which area are you needing covered? I can modify to nearly anything if needed.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2016, 12:52:41 PM »
We've got two beatsticks, an arcanist, and me, who's sort of a 5th wheel/jack of all trades, with enough advanced notice. Mostly focused on party defense at moment because of the low level (this includes a Dragon Shaman healing aura).

So something on the skill/divine side is probably the best bet to round it out?

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2016, 04:40:24 PM »
Hey. I had some trouble, but everything's back together, I think.

I noticed I don’t really have much in the way of physical description for several of your characters. It's not critical, but if you happen to have an image or a description in mind, it'd be neat to see it.

What pronouns should I use to refer to Necra? (’Necra’ is feminine in Greek, but ‘Librum’ is masculine in Latin, though I suppose the name wouldn’t have been a clue anyway under the circumstances.)

The negative energy in this region is milder than the stander negative-dominant (and the negative planes are in general, for the most part); it's 1 HP /minute here, though I’m not keeping time very exactly. The NPCs are going to start dying pretty soon if no-one does anything about that.

The party is remarkable well suited to this situation, for reasons that will become clear eventually.

@Soro Spellthief does seem like a better choice than warblade, in terms of party composition. Nobody's got stealth skills or search, so there's a fair bit of room in that regard.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2016, 05:19:29 PM »
So something on the skill/divine side is probably the best bet to round it out?
Divine side but not necessarily hp healing and...
@Soro Spellthief does seem like a better choice than warblade, in terms of party composition. Nobody's got stealth skills or search, so there's a fair bit of room in that regard.
Stealth/Traps. I'd have to bump around the Spelltheif build to better cover traps but hmm.

Maybe Half-Kender Cloistered Cleric of Mystra's ideals?
Abilities (PB30 right?): Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 14.
Domains: 10x10 Planning, Trickery, & Knowledge.
Feats: Magic Marker, Marker Mayhem, Juggle The Numbers, & Flaws?
Skills: Adventure's Appropriation, Bluff, Disable, Hide, K-Divine, Search, Spellcraft, & Genre Savvy.
Marker Spells: Mage Hand, Least Wish; 1st Cheat, Scholar's Touch; 2nd Heroics, Mirror Move.
Items: Masterwork Tools, armor/shield/mace, a bunch of 11ft poles (probably), & Schrodinger's Backpack of dozens of <1gp tools I'm too lazy to list and ironically if I did at 8str I probably couldn't carry it so please stop reading this part. *cough* Also, Human, Kobold Domain, Sleight of Hand, Cloistered's Lore, & Prestidigitation. *cough*

I'll have the room to pick up stuff like Restoration or w/e that way through currently it really doesn't have much for combat potential.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:29:20 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »
For what it's worth, I don't actually use traps much as a DM, but that's not the only use for search, of course. It's not something that the party absolutely needs, just something I noticed they don't have.

I'd prefer that you not use Magic Marker with a full caster; I okayed it as an improvement to the rather weak spellthief  casting. Likewise with using Juggle the Numbers on spell slots.

Things you mentioned that I don't recognize: 10x10 Planning, Genre Savvy.

Backpack of random stuff ruling: if it's both light and common, as well as cheap, you can include it in 'dozens of <1gp tools I'm too lazy to list'. If you want some cheap item of substantial weight or obscurity, though, you'll have to attempt an int check to have (retroactively) thought of packing it.
It's pretty much true in general that I'll allow an int or wis check to have retroactively prepared for something, as long as it's likely in character.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2016, 07:31:05 PM »
Things you mentioned that I don't recognize: 10x10 Planning, Genre Savvy.
I have some small text listing all of that already included in the post: Also, Human, Kobold Domain, Sleight of Hand, Cloistered's Lore, & Prestidigitation. Anyway, Most of the Spells I can drop, their all none-combative anyway and it'll probably end up biting me on the rear later on anyway, through I would like to keep Prestidigitation, can I keep it and call it "Thaumaturgy"? It also means I can pick up some offensive Feats. How are Undead looked at?

And on the tools, yeah. It's like my character is smarter than my and has the ability to Scribe Scrolls but someone forgot to write down "inkpen" on their sheet so their SOL. Hell, take a look at everyone's sheet and see if anyone even remembered to list clothing. If it's cheap and looks like it'd be in a survival kit; rope, fire stuff, chalk, string, bandages, sharp edges, socks, those awesome marbles in dungeonscape, probably a tarp, magn-- crap I forgot paper. Yeah, need paper to write on. Oh and an inwell -- And apparently everything else that I don't have the Class Features or cheap go to of Shape Sand to replace.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2016, 04:58:57 PM »
What pronouns should I use to refer to Necra? (’Necra’ is feminine in Greek, but ‘Librum’ is masculine in Latin, though I suppose the name wouldn’t have been a clue anyway under the circumstances.)

Necra has no gender and really doesn't care, physically her humanoid form is mildly feminine so I imagine most people would go with that.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »
I'm drawing a blank on Feats, if a Cleric doesn't go DMM(persist) what do they normally pick up? I thought about Imbue Healing but there is no entry for Kobold & Tickery/Knowledge are just Skill boosts but Guidance of the Avatar and/or Divine Insight do that better anyway. We're too low in level for any Reserve Feats and no feedback on Undead being ok for Corpsecrafter and such being useful. Maybe I niche Clerics a little to much >.>

*shrugs*
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:59:47 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2016, 04:30:14 PM »
I'm drawing a blank on Feats, if a Cleric doesn't go DMM(persist) what do they normally pick up? I thought about Imbue Healing but there is no entry for Kobold & Tickery/Knowledge are just Skill boosts but Guidance of the Avatar and/or Divine Insight do that better anyway. We're too low in level for any Reserve Feats and no feedback on Undead being ok for Corpsecrafter and such being useful.
Undead aren't an issue; there's already one with the party, even. Animate Dead and so forth are [Evil], but Evil chararcters (or non-evil characters who sometimes do evil things) are fine with me as long as they can still work with the party.
Other than that... Zen Archery is pretty solid for wis casters. Enlarge and Extend only increase a spell's level by one and have no prereqs. It's hard to go wrong with Improved Initiative.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2016, 06:11:36 PM »
I'm going to go with Corpsecrafter, Fell Animate, and DMM(fell animate) then. I suppose that still means I'm abusing DMM but I get a limited pool of zombies instead of using an energy drain trick for a wightocalypse so I hope that works. Wights suck anyway  :drums

Can I go Necropoliton, and if so can I stack the normal undead buffs on it that apply?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2016, 06:21:46 PM »
Unless I am misreading things, that character will be optimized to a greater extent than the rest of the party currently is. Although given my character's abilities, extra minions are greatly appreciated.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2016, 11:11:22 PM »
Unless I am misreading things, that character will be optimized to a greater extent than the rest of the party currently is. Although given my character's abilities, extra minions are greatly appreciated.
I doubt it.

As is he needs fifteen rounds to kill a CR2 monster using his mace or ten rounds using a crossbow. The fall back easy bump is Knowledge Devotion & Guidance of the Avatar for a +3 att/dmg boost which really helps those averages to but at this time I'm not trying to use it and I'm digging around in alternatives. Defensively, he has 7hp so he drops in one successful hit unless Necropoliton is allowed, 2/1/3 saves, and a useful 19 ac with a plan to total defend for 23 because I'd rather not make another character for this game within a week.

The main contribution is traps & stealing. I do have Iceslick noted, through Marbles frees up the slot, because it's the only save-less CC Spell for Clerics and I may tinker with that some more. The main crunch I'm currently looking at will primarily come from the Zombies. Which limited to two 4HDers, or two Fast/Diseased 2HDers, might seem a lot but remember they are only CR1 and Zombies don't get to Move and Attack, instead having to choose one or the other, and if Fast is chosen creatures like the Bugbear have too much HD to control (currently).

Yeah later on obviously the full-casting Cleric will be awesome pretty much no matter what I do but before shouting omg you should have realized that not over shadowing is actually part of the puzzle that I optimize in. And right now it's weak character to offset bringing pals, which yes benefit from your Commander's Auras. *wink*
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:13:55 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2016, 07:03:54 AM »
Looking at the zombie variants, I'd agree with sticking with Fast/Diseased. Too bad you can't grab the Fiery version from over in skeletons.

Unkillable might work if they're just meant to hold up opponents - fast healing 5 + DR 5/- would be pretty hard to overcome early on, but the speed of Fast is definitely more useful.

Either way, bring on the pets!

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2016, 03:33:22 PM »
Can I go Necropoliton, and if so can I stack the normal undead buffs on it that apply?
You can go Necropoliton, but corpsecrafter (and anything else that takes place during the creation of an undead) can't be used on yourself, if that's what you mean.