Author Topic: Chapter 3 - Forgive Us Our Debts  (Read 13186 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 3: Forgive Us Our Debts
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2020, 11:41:23 AM »
Seeing Fuyuko about to give the game away... as normal, which is honestly still perplexing for someone so good at disguising her own nature, and intercepts her attempt to raise her arm. Gently. Honestly, if she could duplicate herself, standing on either side of the fey would seem almost necessary.

"Now, we don't want to ruin all the work you put into her outfit, do we? We need to save the big reveal for her proper debut." Obviously, still speaking her own language.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2020, 11:47:49 AM »
Fuyuko looks at Yuki and allows her to control her arm and too switches to the tongue of the Jade Islands, being better at it anyway.

"But the nice policewoman said she is here to protect Tanya, and policewomen are not allowed to lie. However, I could keep looking after her instead, if you'd prefer to wait for the coronation, my dear."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »
Niko continues to not saying anything but observing the lies on both sides.

When he took this job h didn't expect to get trapped in a fight between the churches. He wasn't offered enough money to deal with this but it's too late now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2020, 12:49:37 PM »
"As you know, the safest place to be is if nobody knows where or what you are. She may want to help," not that Yuki believed that this wasn't driven by ulterior motives for a second, "But less bad people will come looking if we wait."

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2020, 08:14:08 PM »
Nadja, no need to worry. My brotherhood has been planning to provide for all of your needs to help you rebuild your life.

"On second thought my associate has an excellent point. Anonymity may be our greatest asset. An informal partnership then!" Hank claps his hands. "Thank you so much for your consideration, Lucy. The Red Guard is lucky to have an inspector of your dedication and insight. We appreciate your help in procuring the scrolls. Would it be possible get some other equipment at cost?"

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 12:12:34 PM »
Lusica gets a bit more reserved as she gets increasingly pestered.

"I might get you a discount, if I see something in return. Like that missing girl I have mentioned to you."

She gets up and stretches.

"Now, if you have nothing else on your mind, I'll take a leave to report back before something happens to Miss Gravesend."

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2020, 02:43:48 PM »
Mist simply nods, looking at her companions to see if they wished to add anything, hoping they would let sleeping dogs (other than Peri)  lay.
Hmm.

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2020, 11:25:35 PM »
"Of course. Forgive us. A women of your talent and agency is no doubt always needed. We'll look into the Tanya's case. Know that we're always eager to serve the cause of justice and mercy, and I am grateful that we have friends in the Red Guard who do as well.  Thank you, Lucy. I'll remember you in my prayers, and we look forward to a fruitful future together."

I know it's a little hard to get used to, but future negotiations could go smoother if we communicate directly. Don't you think, Mist? *WINK*

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2020, 01:03:31 PM »
"Very good then. I should get results on that relic over the course of the day. Ask for me at the Cardinalesse's Guard Inn in Old Chancel between the hours of Vespers and Compline, I should be there at that time."

Lusica counts out your money as her stronger companions load up on the sold equipment. She then leaves, not forgetting to pick up her weapons again.

As soon as the guards are out of earshot, Tanya presses 2 of her just-earned gold pieces into Nadja's hand.

"Here Auntie Nadja, that should buy you a long, relaxing bath and some decent clothes. Once you have those two things, the world will seem a little brighter."

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2020, 11:42:44 PM »
In a moment of downtime Hank steps easily onto the chancel and looks out on his followers.  He pauses for a moment before closing his eyes. “We praise you Divine Light for another day.  We thank you for our new allies in the struggle against the darkness: Karlat, Cwalu, Saethwr, Yuki, Fuyuko, and Mist and for their role in rescuing Tanya from the nunnery and Njada, Niko, and Peri from the grave.  Thank you that even though we all struggle with our own demons you are willing to suffer our faults for the sake of our redemption.  Your love never ends.”

The congregation responds, “His love never ends.”
(click to show/hide)

At the end of the music a bright-eyed singer runs up to Nadja and offers her a simple, cute dress.  “Here! Please take this to help you rebuild your life.  Promise that you'll come visit us if you ever need anything, and know that you're never alone.” The dress contains a purse with 200gp.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2020, 01:44:47 PM »
Nadja accepts the dress gratefully and moves behind a pillar to change out of her rags into something more presentable. She checks the purse, and looks both wide-eyed and a bit embarassed.

"I... I cannot accept that much money. I am just a waitress, if I even still do have work, it would take me many years to ever repay such a fortune!"

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2020, 09:47:29 PM »
Cori, the singer, moves in close to Nadja and clasps her hands. "Nadja, you're so much more than a waitress.  You've been robbed of the life you could've had. Now you've been brought back from the grave! We've all pitched in because we believe the Most High would like you to use this to help rebuild the life you want to have. It's a gift - freely given. According to our customs it would give us great joy if you receive it freely without thought of paying it back.  The best thing you can do is use it wisely and become a generous person who can bless others in kind."
Cori giggles, "Besides, we can go shopping together! It will be great fun!"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2020, 10:20:33 AM »
Niko is sleeping in a corner, his response to the sermon it looks like, and jerks away at the happy exclamations and giggling.  These are sounds he is not used to.

He gives Peri a pat on the head and tries to figure out what to do now.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2020, 02:09:42 PM »
Nadja still seems embarassed and a bit uncomfortable with being gifted with such a large sum.

"I'll... hold onto it for the time being, if you insist, until I'm back on my feet. I'll return what's left then, and see that I pay back what I had to use up."

She thinks a moment.

"Actually, would you take offense if I just borrowed 10, no, make that 5 gold pieces? I don't like to hold on such a packed purse that must draw the attention of every scoundrel and mugger of Old Chancel."

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2020, 04:04:50 PM »
Cori responds. "Of course! I was about to offer the same, but I guess I got excited about shopping. We'll keep it safe here." She shrugs.

Hank approaches, "Nadja, I know our customs are strange, and we don't mean to scandalize you, but please take the gift and enjoy it without thinking of repayment. If you can't help but feel indebted we ask that you pay it forward to someone you can help."

(click to show/hide)

Hank leans in and whispers, "If even that fails you can always use our customs against us and gift it back, but promise you'll only consider that as a last resort." He offers a conciliatory wink and mischievous smile.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2020, 04:28:15 PM »
Nadja sighs.

"If you really, really insist, I could take the purse. Although I am a defenseless little waitress who would have to surrender it to any scoundrel takes a liking to it, and it would take up decades of saving up tips to ever replace it. And there are a lot of scoundrels in Old Chancel. I'd really be more comfortable if a large group as capable of self-defense as you safe-kept it for me, and forwarded me a little pocket money whenever some mugger takes all I have on me, or I'm otherwise desperate and broke."

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2020, 08:11:00 PM »
"Your money is safe with me!" Cori playfully gives a mock salute. "But only if you promise to visit!  And remember . . . you're never alone."

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2020, 02:51:31 PM »
"Sure thing, I will gladly visit you, once I have my job back." Nadja takes 5 gold piece from the purse and returns the rest to you.

She spends the following morning hours getting cleaned up at a bath house and buying a few dresses at a seamstress - nice clothes that show off her figure and encourage to give her tips, but are still comfortable and practical for being on her feet all day. Her last stop is at a perfume store, where she prettys herself up with some cosmetics.

The Frog & Egg Inn is still quiet, most activity coming from guests checking out and still too early for the lunch rush. A man in his 40s stands behind the counter, passing time drying and redrying glasses.
Nadja whispers to you: "This is Jakov Kopekcjepatch, the junior boss. He never liked me much and always gave me a hard time, so wish me luck."

As it turns out the senior boss had passed away while Nadja was buried. Jakov assumes that as young as she looks Nadja is her own daughter, which Nadja prefers to go along with rather than to try to explain the real, convoluted and hard-to-believe story.

"Just running away on a whim and creating a baby she cannot take care of, that is exactly what I expected from your mom. As you know, gingers are created when fairies steal the soul of babies in the crib, condemning them to become soulless gingers who neither have hope of climbing the celestial mountain nor have to fear descending into the fires down below. That makes them irresponsible and amoral with no sense of right and wrong, while being fey-touched makes them forever immature and carefree. They need a firm hand and a short leash keeping them on the path of goodness, or they will stray from it like Nadja senior did when she left me hanging.

Now, about your mother's belongings, they were given away a long time ago to the needy when she went missing and no one came to claim them. As about her job, that one was filled out a long time ago and we currently have no openings."

Jakov leans forward and clasps Nadja on the shoulder, giving her a warm smile.

"Now, I do have some pity for you. Poor little thing, not only born to an irresponsible ginger mom who left you nothing to inherit, but also had the fairies come for you to rob you of your soul and the life of a real person you should have had. You seem relatively bright and nice for a ginger, so I offer you room and board in the staff dorm and to keep your tips. If you prove yourself and a spot opens, I will promote you to a fully paid waitress and maid. Provided, of course, you behave and accept my firm hand guiding you. I'll even just give you your maid uniform in advance and allow you to work off the cost of it as you earn tips. Is that acceptable to you?"

Nadja thinks for a moment and gives you a questioning glance as she prepares to answer...

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, at the chapel:

As Nadja goes about her preparations and interview, Fuyuko gets into the business of recoloring Tanya's hair. After straightening it again and bleaching it, Tanya gets blindfolded, and Fuyuko tells her not to peek until she tells that it is done. After making sure that Tanya sees nothing, Fuyuko reaches into her disguise kit, and with perky glee produces the blue and pink hair coloring vials...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2020, 07:43:13 PM »
Having decided that staying and figuring out what he is dealing with in Fuyuko is both more important and more interesting than going with Nadja since the religious folk seem to have their eye on her, Niko does just that.

Seeing the vials of unnatural colors, he rolls his eyes and then steels himself.  He has to be nice.

"Fuyuko, I don't think those colors will work.  What is the point of dressing Tanya up so that nobody knows who she is if you make everyone want to look at her hair?  Someone will see through the disguise.  She is a regular person, maybe she should have the hair color of a regular person.  Then nobody will notice the trick."

Niko very slightly stressesf the words "regular person".

(click to show/hide)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2020, 10:03:30 AM »
After entering the Inn, Mist sneaks off, watching the scene. When Nadja is being scolded, she sneaks beneath a table.

With Mage Hand she makes a bottle of wine fall from behind the bar Jakov, making a loud sound, before using Ghost sound to imitate the sound of children laughing.

Finally she casts a Message spell to Jakov:
(click to show/hide)
Hmm.