Author Topic: getting the most bonuses against larger enemies  (Read 2522 times)

Offline deadkitten

• It's so fluffy you are gonna die... Horribly.
    • View Profile
getting the most bonuses against larger enemies
« on: January 15, 2015, 10:56:21 PM »
So say I want to make a character whose concept is a giantslayer, what class features or feats, and such give you bonuses against someone larger than you are?
I'm not looking for something against a specific enemy larger than I am,  I want the bonuses to apply to as many enemies as possible.
Any help is appreciated. And anything that gives you a bonus against someone larger than you is the goal. Although I prefer anything that boosts to-hit and damage. Cause I want to hit them harder than they will ever expect. ;p

Offline deadkitten

• View Profile
Re: getting the most bonuses against larger enemies
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:58:58 PM »
Daggonnit. My grammar was not the beast on that post. I am not gonna lie.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:18:38 PM »
Underfoot Combat, Confound the Big Folk, and Giantbane come to mind.

A dex-based character that makes use of the Reduce Person spell or Compression power would do pretty well with those.

Easiest way to combine those feats and size reduction is the psychic warrior class.  Or there's psychic rogue.  Going with wisdom and dexterity can get you psychic warrior and swordsage levels (easy way to get the Shadow Blade feat, maybe with the Hit and Run fighter variant for dex to damage against flat-footed enemies.

SB favored weapons are dagger, sai, short sword, spiked chain, siangham, unarmed strike.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:31:31 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:34:45 AM »
Gauntlets of Giantfelling are only like 2000 gp in MIC.  3 charges per day, swift action.  You get a damage bonus for 1 round against larger foes, I think it scales up by size difference.

Fell the Greatest Foe, spell in SpC (level 3 for clerics, might be lower for some partial casters).  Lasts round/level, target does +1d6 melee damage per size smaller he is than his target.

Counter Charge maneuver in ToB; pick a dex opposed check and get +4 if smaller than the foe.

EDIT: There's also a mid level stance in Setting Sun that gives bonuses to hit and damage against larger foes.  I never use it though, because Assassin's Stance + Shadow Blade is just so much better for any small swordsage I'd ever make.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:36:39 AM by StreamOfTheSky »

Offline Tonymitsu

• The Original Distinguished Anarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »
I played a character like this once. It was a kaiju-style campaign where most of our opponents were massive monsters and spellcasters were not readily available.
I did whisper gnome Hit and Run Fighter 15, using all of the feats Jack mentioned.

My weapon of choice was dual-wielding Sword of Subtlety (they qualify for Shadow Hand) with the Last Resort weapon enhancement (Complete Warrior, pg. 135). It lets you use the melee weapon in a grapple without penalty, and does an extra 1d6 damage per size category larger the grappler is than you. I found that to be a much simpler way of turning one of the biggest threats a large monster has into it's biggest weakness.
"The only thing in the entire universe more dangerous than knowledge is ignorance."
--Lord Volkarion Knightcon

Offline deadkitten

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »

EDIT: There's also a mid level stance in Setting Sun that gives bonuses to hit and damage against larger foes.  I never use it though, because Assassin's Stance + Shadow Blade is just so much better for any small swordsage I'd ever make.

That Setting sun Stance is actually what inspired the idea.  :P

I was making a character for another game and it came down to me picking assassins stance or that one.  I ended up picking the setting sun stance cause I thought the 4 damage from it was more reliable than the 7 you would get from assassins stance.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 01:07:54 PM »

That Setting sun Stance is actually what inspired the idea.  :P

I was making a character for another game and it came down to me picking assassins stance or that one.  I ended up picking the setting sun stance cause I thought the 4 damage from it was more reliable than the 7 you would get from assassins stance.

But it's not just 7 damage from SA.  It's also +Dex to damage you get w/ Shadow Blade all day every day that you just plain can't replicate w/ the SS stance.  If you're playing a small or smaller swordsage, you probably have really good dex.

EDIT: Also, just having sneak attack opens up wonderful options.  Staggering Strike is one of the best melee feats in the entire game, full stop.  Especially on a Swordsage type build since such a person can actually do hit and run effectively.

Oh!  Another thing.  I often do this sort of build as a Whisper Gnome.  Now, it's feat intensive especially since Swordsage requires a feat just to play effectively.  But Desert Wind Dodge + Titan Fighting is basically +4 AC vs. everything that will ever try to melee you.  Only plausible with flaws, and even then I often dip Martial Rogue for more feats.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:13:06 PM by StreamOfTheSky »