Author Topic: Artifacts (Opinions)  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Artifacts (Opinions)
« on: June 12, 2019, 12:18:44 PM »
(1) What are your favorite artifacts, and why?
(2) What are your least favorite artifacts, and why?
(3) Are there any books or magazines which give more rules/details on artifacts? 
(4) Are there any online guides, handbooks, or threads about artifacts?

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
Re: Artifacts (Opinions)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:53:23 PM »
(1) What are your favorite artifacts, and why?
(2) What are your least favorite artifacts, and why?
(3) Are there any books or magazines which give more rules/details on artifacts? 
(4) Are there any online guides, handbooks, or threads about artifacts?

(1) Sphere of Annihilation is a classic.
(2) Deck of Many Things. It makes people dumb, and I feel every amateur DM will nonconsciously throw it into their game just because.
(3) Dont know
(4) I don't think so. Artifacts are especially out of player control so I don't imagine anyone would ever build a quide around them. The only way I know to get a Artifact without the DM handing it over is Artifact Lord Epic Destiny from late 3.5 era Dragon Mag
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 05:18:49 PM »
(1) ... Death Rock from BoVD.  Here's what I rambled about it during the ruleofcool era :
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,658.0.html
comment :  kinda solves necromancy, and allows bridging it to any type of character, too bad it's dm fiat.  Intentional intra-party strife, isn't well handled by 40+ years of d&d guidelines, but hollywood does this with most every tv show = players can model it and probably make it work.

(2) ... 3e Mace of St. Cuthbert is a small but odd pile of mail-it-in writing, especially with being paid by the word.
" ... the Mace of Cuthbert is essentially a +5 holy lawful mace of disruption (effectively a +11 weapon) with a special power (searing light at 20th level at will). According to the epic magic item creation rules, this item would have a market price of approximately 2,500,000 gp. A character who wished to wield a replica of the Mace of Cuthbert could have such an item created. It wouldn't be the actual Mace, but it would be essentially identical in function."
Epic Level Handbook, p.150
comment :  Here's the rules, here's total contradiction of said rules. (get paid anyway)

(3) ... the Rod Of Seven Parts, is by far the most written about artifact in d&d history, both in-game and out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Seven_Parts#Publication_history
comment :  didn't float my boat back then, interesting pile of d&d history now

(4) ... dude at giantitp dude-ed at least a good start of a list (use the whole thread)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?500598-List-of-Artifacts
comment :  try is better than no try

link to TC X0 Lt 0X 's mention (use the whole thread) :
The Tarrasque, Epic Destinies, and You
http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=4570.0
comment :  yes the Psi Arty loves the Artifact Lord.  The 4e guys (those poor misbegotten souls) don't know what the Sword Of Pun-Pun is, no?

:)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:29:01 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline redking

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 10:36:45 PM »
The Black Egg from Dungeon Magazine 106. Get your own half fiend 19 HD red dragon servitors for the relatively trivial cost of risking a curse for not feeding dragon souls to the egg. This is feeding dragon type creatures, so you don't need to go out and actually kill full sized dragons, they can be draconians from the Dragonlance setting, so other creatures with the dragon type. Probably the best artifact in the game.

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 06:34:24 AM »
(4) I don't think so. Artifacts are especially out of player control so I don't imagine anyone would ever build a quide around them. The only way I know to get a Artifact without the DM handing it over is Artifact Lord Epic Destiny from late 3.5 era Dragon Mag

Epic Binder can create a temporary Sphere of Annihilation with one of the epic vestiges. The big question is whether you're allowed to create it on top of someone, since it doesn't actually say yea or nay.

Offline weave

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 11:22:26 PM »
1) Gold Orb of Dragonkind- Unless you are in a crazy high OP game, the saves this thing gives you are too high to worry about failing a save again. It also gives you a 20d6 fire breath weapon and all the other ones once per day. This is in addition to dominating dragons and the minor spells it gives you.

2) First Imaskarcana- This thing gives you gate once per day and improved blink. Gate is really good.

3) The 5th Imaskarcana gives you time stop and dominate monster.

4) The death rock as mentioned is sweet. You can always mind rape yourself to make you "closest friend" and enemy and kill them with no save.

5) The Annulus kills any psionic monster with no save no SR. I have seen it used twice in my days to kill a huge mass of monsters.

6) The Scepter of Ephemon (sp?) ( its from planar handbook) lets you gate a very old red dragon once a week. It has to make two saves or is permanently bound to you. Otherwise it works like a normal gate. Within a month you got 4 very old red dragon friends.

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 09:46:58 PM »
For garenteed artifacts, Pathfinder allows alchemists to make Philosopher's Stones at level 20 and there's a mythic ability that makes an item you own into one.