Author Topic: [Skill] Craft  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
[Skill] Craft
« on: November 03, 2018, 03:32:21 PM »
Craft (alchemy)
Synergy Bonuses:
  • If you have 5 or more ranks in Craft (gunsmithing), you get a +2 synergy bonus to Craft (alchemy) checks when creating bullets & gunpowder and vice versa.
Craft (Clockmaking)
Clockmaking is the skill used to create mechanical clockworks, ranging from ponderous clock towers to delicate pocket watches.

Synergy Bonuses:
  • If you have 5 or more ranks in Craft (clockmaking), you get a +2 synergy bonus to Disable Device and Open Lock checks, as well as Craft (gunsmithing) checks when building or repairing flint-lock weapons.
  • If you have 5 or more ranks in Disable Device, you get a +2 bonus to Craft (clockmaking) checks
  • If you have 5 or more ranks in Open Lock, you get a +2 bonus to Craft (clockmaking) checks
Craft (Gunsmithing)
Gunsmithing is used to craft firearms, gunpowder and bullets.

Synergy Bonuses:
  • If you have 5 or more ranks in Craft (clockmaking), you get a +2 synergy bonus to Craft (gunsmithing) checks when building or repairing flint-lock weapons.
  • If you have 5 or more ranks in Craft (gunsmithing), you get a +2 synergy bonus to Craft (alchemy) checks when creating bullets & gunpowder and vice versa.
New Crafting Applications
Bullets & PowderAlchemy* or Gunsmithing5
Very Simple Firearm (Handgonne)Gunsmithing8
Average Firearm (Blunderbuss, Flintlock Musket)Gunsmithing10
Delicate Firearm (Flintlock Pistol, Volley Gun)Gunsmithing15

*Unlike other alchemical items, doesn't require you to be a spellcaster.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:34:13 PM by Skyrock »

Offline cure

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: [Skill] Craft
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »
Congrats for elminating the spellcaster requirement for making gunpowder. This was a stupidity introduced by 3.5.

I would, suggest however, going a bit further.

Simplest is to ditch the spellcaster requirement for alchemy across the board.

Alternatively, there is a cutting-edge alchemy not based on magic that is in fact proto-chemistry. This can be found in Lamordia and similarly modern domains. And there is a traditional alchemy based on knowledge of magic. This can be found in Barovia and similarly less advanced, but not primative, domains. The first can make gunpowder and a range of non-magical substances, but could not produce an all purpose antitoxin, let alone necromantic substances like brittlebone, ghost oil, or positoxins. The second can make all purpose antitoxin, necromantic substances like brittlebone, ghost oil, or positoxin, as well as a range of mundane substances, perhaps, but not necessarily, including gunpowder.

Some detail on the matter can be found here: http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Category:Alchemy
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 03:39:00 PM by cure »

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: [Skill] Craft
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 04:27:57 PM »
Congrats for elminating the spellcaster requirement for making gunpowder. This was a stupidity introduced by 3.5.

I would, suggest however, going a bit further.

Simplest is to ditch the spellcaster requirement for alchemy across the board.
I avoid doing global changes to the rules unless absolutely necessary for the setting, as to make this fixed campaign rules set compatible with as many different house-rules sets as possible (and very few if any people here play and run D&D 3.5 by the book).

Alternatively, there is a cutting-edge alchemy not based on magic that is in fact proto-chemistry. This can be found in Lamordia and similarly modern domains. And there is a traditional alchemy based on knowledge of magic. This can be found in Barovia and similarly less advanced, but not primative, domains. The first can make gunpowder and a range of non-magical substances, but could not produce an all purpose antitoxin, let alone necromantic substances like brittlebone, ghost oil, or positoxins. The second can make all purpose antitoxin, necromantic substances like brittlebone, ghost oil, or positoxin, as well as a range of mundane substances, perhaps, but not necessarily, including gunpowder.

Some detail on the matter can be found here: http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Category:Alchemy
I will eventually get to it when I get to the supplements covering alchemy and chemistry. I think Van Richten's Arsenal and the Lamordier Gazetteer had some of that stuff in them.