Author Topic: Interest in Escaping the Tower [3.5 Game Opening] (Need Players)  (Read 60726 times)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
Interest in Escaping the Tower [3.5 Game Opening] (Need Players)
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
I'm thinking about DMing another game. This one about a group of characters who have been captives of a not quite so sane alchemist that has been experimenting on his captives. The character would have a chance to be able to either help the other captives escape or leave them behind to save themselves. I'm looking at a low to mid level campaign. Most scrying and teleporting won't work within the tower, and the characters will have to secure their own resting places, as the tower itself will have traps, guards, and other captives that all may interrupt their rest. What does every body think?

Game details:
4-6 players
Low to mid level, undecided on actual level
Open to most material, including second/third party and Homebrew
Low equipment adventure, the PCs will only have what they could have made in their cells and what they can find/steal
Characters can elect to have mutations, grafts, experimental abilities, more information to be discussed with potential group.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in Escaping the Tower [3.5 Game Opening] (Need Players)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 09:04:26 PM »
Open to homebrew? :O

... chances are high that 'mad alchemist' plus that will make me keep looking at this (the other half of the time would be wishing there was a way to cut off just one more size category in the end, because I still want to play a fine-sized butterfly rogue/ninja)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »
I've never had an issue with homebrew, especially not homebrew that's been vetted by the CO community here. Homebrew will almost always be allowed in my campaigns as long as their isn't a particular reason for me not allowing it. I look everything over and check it for balance, but otherwise I allow most things that aren't nonsensical. Anthromorphic animal is allowed. Not really sure a butterfly would work to well in the campaign though...
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »
Well, Flight, a small (then tiny, then diminutive) size; stacks with SA or the ninja thing; a racial bonus to move silently... Moth would work equally well, but something insectile is involved. >.>

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »
haha If you must. This aught to be a fun campaign to run. Actually, butterfly would work now that I think things through with anthropomorphic animal.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »
Captives experimented on by a mad alchemist? Sounds like a job for the Awakened Gelatinous Cube/Uber-Cube character I keep losing the chance to play. Or the Choker/Impulse Mage I wanted to try out...  ;)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:49:35 PM »
Potentially, however, after you escape might be more dangerous than just remaining a captive.  :smirk

Maybe I didn't make it clear, but I'd like for the campaign to continue after the escape. That will just be the first adventure. You all will post a few times, maybe only once each, from captivity, then something will happen to facilitate your release from the cages/ cells/ experimentation rooms. Then you will have the choice to either race for the exit, free the other captives, or go after the proprietor of the tower.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 11:52:21 PM »
What I meant was that those characters were prime candidates for creatures that could have been experimented on by such a person of questionable sanity, is all. :)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 12:20:16 AM »
I want to be a Flail Snail.....  -_-'

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 02:51:05 PM »
If you wish, but it will take 2x damage from dessication effects and needs an endure elements spell effect on it to survive in desert/tundra environments.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »
I was actually reading it and while it didn't say anything about dessication damage, I also thought that it should have a clause added stating it because of the line about being mostly water. :)

Can understand the tundra part as well, because it would probably freeze easily, but I'm not sure about it having trouble in a desert. It's mostly water and has fire immunity. It'd probably be like a super slow camel or something in that scenario, I'd imagine.

None the less, I wanna be a flail snail. >>

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »
Hmm, if you go with flail-snail, it would make more sense for me to go with something that is not the AGC. I'd probably go with the impulse mage, headed for one of a couple different spellshaping prestige classes if the game progresses far enough, depending on the tone of the game.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »
What tone were you looking for? I prefer to run mostly serious campaigns, as I have a hard time focusing on more comical campaigns, but otherwise I'm open to suggestion. I hqvent really statted out the adventure yet, but a decent bit of the fluff is fairly solid; however, I could change things up a bit for the group. Originally, I was planning on this being a fairly grim and gritty campaign, but things can change.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 07:04:40 PM »
Well, AA butterfly rogue/ninja and flail snails and awakened gelatinous cubes don't sound like they lend themselves well to gritty campaign tones, though they can easily fit in I'm sure. If I were to join up with a choker/impulse mage I'm sure I could easily fit in to any tone.

Mostly what I mean is that depending on how certain situations come up, I might choose to go with a different set of circles and a different prestige class. For a darker, grittier game, I might decide to go with a Darkened One, becoming a shadowy, tentacled abomination. Or in most general campaigns, I might push the Impulse Mage concept and go with the Chaos Shaper. I think I'm leaning toward the latter, to be honest. Just staying full impulse mage isn't a bad idea, either.

Of course, the choker race may end up being a bad idea depending on character-building rules, such as stat generation and starting level. So I'll have to wait and see how things shape up.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »
I can do serious perfectly well despite the idea. Gritty, however, would leave me rather amused.

Though since I wrote something like 20,000 words of film noir when the protagonist had problems with their hair eating things, I'm sure I could manage. >_>

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 07:25:58 PM »
Though since I wrote something like 20,000 words of film noir when the protagonist had problems with their hair eating things, I'm sure I could manage. >_>

This I must read...

What level would you guys like to start? I've been thinking somewhere between 3 and 10, but havemt been able to come up with a decision. Character gen will be my standard 32 point buy, with Level Adjustments under 3 being changed to racial Hd of the appropriate type. Most of my equipment house rules won't come into play until after the adventure, because you won't be purchasing equipment. Expect magic items to be hard to come by inside the tower. Crafting skills and creative ideas will be needed to get a hold of any items that aren't found/stolen. At the start of the game, any weapons/armor/etc. Will have to come from items created in secret. Once out of your cells, you will be able to get items from guards, storage cashes etc.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »
You're not reading something unfinished and unedited. XD

Ideally, I'd like to start at level 7 (or 8, if I could just get down one size category in that level), as this gives me abilities that somewhat benefit from my size. Also avoids awkward questions like 'why are you shrinking'.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 07:56:14 PM »
As an English major, I feel compelled to offer my editing services.

We could start around 7-8, that's on the higher end of the power level I was looking at, but nothing problematic.

I would highly suggest that at least one person be able to handle traps in the group, but if not, maybe you'll be able to rescue someone who can help.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »
As I said, not finished. I'd have to rewrite half of it to get around the thing that stumped me in the first place, so it's never likely to be.

'Handle traps' is why I want that particular level. By that point I should be fine for sneaking around, so I can afford to dump all my skill points into rogue-y stuff. :p

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
Gotcha, so level 8? I can work with that.

I'm gonna need a list of necessary items for each character. And I'm going to have everybody roll a stock set of some basic skills to help speed things up. Initiative too, mostly so we don't constantly have me asking for rolls.