Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Interest check for assistance, world-building and maybe even a game  (Read 4133 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Hello everyone. If you used to hang around the PBP section of GitP, you may have seen a few Fire Emblem games pop up here and there starting from several years back. You may even have seen my previous attempts at running a Fire Emblem game on those forums about 2 years ago. I had originally intended to run one game, then it ballooned into two, and then it was just too much for me to run so I had to shut both games down. All in all, it was several months of fun before it all fell apart. Having seen so many games not even get that far, it seems like a reasonable attempt to me. And while I might like to run a game again, IF I run a game again, I fully intend to learn from the mistakes I made already and make sure I'm really up to the task before taking it on.

To that end, I am testing the waters for interest in a future game, both for players and for a co-GM. Running a game alone is too much for me to sustain long-term, and the wonderful players who join games on these boards deserve better than a game that stalls out and ends after a few months. Therefore, I'm looking to split the work with someone else who is interested in running (or just helping run) a game. I've got some ideas that I'd like to see used. Heck, I'd just be happy with someone to bounce ideas off of, to flesh out my thoughts and see which ones are feasible. I'm also hoping to acquire or develop some tools to help run the game. Like maybe a database to store the stats of all the characters and enemies so I don't have to record it all manually, or something.

While I would love to run another game, I can't stress enough that I won't even try if I'm not sure I can handle it. Running a Fire Emblem game is a lot of work, and a great many of them end within only a couple of months of starting. I don't want to get everyone's hopes up only to bail at the last minute and leave a lot of people disappointed.

Now, with that out of the way, I'd like to discuss some of my ideas and preferences. If you saw my previous games, you know of the game world they took place in and the very flexible Fire Emblem-based rules they used. If you didn't, there's a link to the rules above and I'll be posting a set of overview notes on the setting below. Ideally, I'd like to run a game using those rules. I'd also like to run a game in that setting, and I have a few ideas for the general game concept to go with it, but my notes are rather less complete, the ideas less fleshed out. That's one of the big things that this thread is for, to discuss ideas. I had more notes at one point, but they were lost when my backup drive failed, so I need to reconstruct them, and the best way to do so is to talk about them with other people.

One of the things I'd really like for the world, just to start with, is a calendar, even just for the years. It's annoying referring to everything as "X years ago", especially when I'm thinking about it from perspectives that take place centuries apart (WoW/SBtW: "Present", War Games: ~208 years past).

The setting: Solak
(click to show/hide)

Game Concepts
(click to show/hide)

GM-ing Philosophies, Strengths, and Weaknesses
(click to show/hide)

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
My interest in playing or helping to run would depend on how hard I'm up for a game and how much time I have at whatever point in time you end up running this (and on how much I like the rules, which I haven't given a read yet). Definitely interested in helping with the worldbuilding, though. I love worldbuilding. You could say it's a hobby.

That said, I'm afraid I'm entirely unfamiliar with the Fire Emblem series except for knowing that the games are tactical RPGs (and that various entries in the series have been recommended to me). Are there any universal themes or conceits to the series that would end up shining through in the setting? Anything like a rough-outline map or notes on climates for visualization? A rough base level of technology for the setting?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:40:51 AM by Agita »
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Are there any universal themes or conceits to the series that would end up shining through in the setting?
Think about it as your usual Fantasy setting, except Humans rule (they actually rule so hard they broke reality once, but that's a different story). There's usually some dragons around, but they mostly stay in human form. Some of the games have pseudoundeads as mooks, and sometimes there's  tribes with animal shapeshifting ability, but their numbers are very low.

There's pegasus/wyvern riders, mages shooting lighting/fire/wind, shamans throwing curses, but at the end of the day most of the characters are humans, both protagonists and agantonists.

There's also quite a bit of political intrigue. The main character is usually a prince/princess, heir to the throne, and then there's other kings and leaders with their own domains. There's alliances and backstabbings, invasions and exiles, and usually the games involve said prince/princess fighting to take their rightful place as ruler after their ruling parent got killed by the bad guys (or did they?)

The stories are actually pretty mature compared to your average fantasy game. In several titles you can develop relationships between characters as they fight togheter, then hear them talk about their past, present and hopes for the future. There's very few "Muahahah eat babies for breakfast" villains,  and actually many named enemies can be recruited to your side if you talk to them with the right character during battle (or you can just kill them for exp).

A rough base level of technology for the setting?
There's big stone castles and ballistas, but nothing more complex than that. Think Legend of Zelda, but no explosives/robots. You can expect plot-critical magic artifacts (the Fire Emblem itself is usually one of them).

Also, female FE characters are infamous for (almost) always wearing pratical clothes/armor. For example this:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:41:18 AM by oslecamo »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
I, too, am in the camp of knowing about as much about Fire Emblem as some one who knows it's a thing but has just about never played any of the games.

Mind you though you're got a ton of information on the world here I can work with that I could likely make a decent attempt at making a character that fits it all, so I'm certainly interested at the moment. As a player at least. :)

Offline BearsAreBrown

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
+1 interest and lack of setting knowledge.

Would be fun to try it out though. I always liked the lancers and the super armored guys with spears.

Offline Caim_Silent_Blade

• Lurker
  • Why casters so op?
    • View Profile
Also in a lot of the games the big bad guy ends up being a dragon or demon or god or some other sort. The true villain is occasionally human but more often than not some mythical creature.
The BBG can pretty much never be killed by just one person attacking a turn or two and that usually ends up with said solo character dying. At death characters stay dead. There is no means of anyone being resurrected or even if they dont actually die but are just forced to retreat from combat they will never return to the front lines again. They usually encompass most of the known map and almost never end without some side character that the hero/heroine is attached to dying.
Someone should really balance casters and everything else.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
+1 interest and lack of setting knowledge.

Would be fun to try it out though. I always liked the lancers and the super armored guys with spears.

Cavaliers and Knights?

Also, +1 interest and mostly lack of knowledge (played Sacred Swords,  Rekka no Ken, Shadow Dragon and Awakening).

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
My interest in playing or helping to run would depend on how hard I'm up for a game and how much time I have at whatever point in time you end up running this (and on how much I like the rules, which I haven't given a read yet). Definitely interested in helping with the worldbuilding, though. I love worldbuilding. You could say it's a hobby.

That said, I'm afraid I'm entirely unfamiliar with the Fire Emblem series except for knowing that the games are tactical RPGs (and that various entries in the series have been recommended to me). Are there any universal themes or conceits to the series that would end up shining through in the setting? Anything like a rough-outline map or notes on climates for visualization? A rough base level of technology for the setting?

Oslecamo summed up Fire Emblem's themes pretty well. The Solak setting is one of my own creation, rather than that of one of the games, but most of the basic concepts hold. All of the details for the world as a whole that I've written are up above. There's plenty there, but there are also a lot of holes that can be filled in. Your offer of worldbuilding assistance is greatly appreciated.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
One of my favorite games on the Snes was FE:Genealogy of the Holy War. It was awesome even before it finally got translated by fans.
Thracia 776 was pretty great too. I didn't get as hooked with those that followed but didn't play Path of Radiance, Sacred Dawn and Awakening.

I think I'd like to help if I can. If I've the time.
This can go from making you some NPCs, possible prepared encounters and the likes. Maybe even run a few scenes.
Depending on the pace of the game I could find the time to play it to if you need players.